Typhoon underwing stripe widths

Tokyo Raider

Hi Brits...  i need your help again...  trying to paint the black and white ID stripes under wing on a typhoon.  

These are ID stripes, NOT invasion stripes!

Does anyone know what the WIDTH of the BLACK and the WIDTH of the WHITE stripes are in full scale?

I am trying to paint these on and need actual dimensions to scale down to get the width right.  The white looks almost double the width of the black stripes...

Thanks alot guys!

Bob

• Like 1

AMO

A.664/42  APPENDIX 1

(Amended to A1096/42, issued 8 Oct 1942 and A1377/42 issued 24 December 1942)

A - RAF Commands

says

Typhoon aircraft are specially marked as follows:-

(a) The under-surfaces port and starboard wings are painted with black strips running fore and aft at intervals of 24 in. from the root of the wing to the inboard end of the aileron with the first black strip situated at the wing root.  The spaces between the black strips on the under-surfaces of the wings are painted white, but from the outboard edge of the outer black strips to the wing tips the under-surfaces remain sea grey medium.

(b) The spinner in front of the propellor blades only is painted sky (duck egg blue) and the remainder of the nose is coloured in the standard day fighter camouflage of dark green and ocean grey on the upper surfaces and coloured sea grey medium on the under-surfaces.

20 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Thanks Fubar!!!

If you want the diagram, send me your email and I'll send it to you. I don't have the means to post images here or in PMs

Nicely shown in this diagram from the "Airfix Model World" magazine supplement to their 1/24 Typhoon kit:

68158-BF8-3-BF2-4-C2-C-B732-7-A251584190

And a real-life photo on the cover of the classic Ducimus "Camouflage and Markings" no. 4 (Note, this booklet has a diagram inside which correctly draws the white stripes at 24"...but labels them as 18"! The later "invasion stripes" were of course 18" wide for both black and white.) Note that the outer edge of the outermost stripe aligns with the inboard end of the aileron.

EAE3-A11-E-24-EE-4351-A5-F9-19-B4240-E65

There is also a diagram in the "Warpaint" no. 5 on the Typhoon. This. notes the stripe widths correctly, but in my opinion has the scale a bit off, and shows them starting too far outboard of the wing roots.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 3

Hi Guys...  Thanks for all the help on this project...  I just posted many photos of it on the Ready for Inspection and the model is done.  here is the Underwing stripes measured to scale and applied as defined in the painting order.

spacer.png

• Like 9

• 11 months later...

Can someone clarify please

There are posts stating 12", 18" and 24". Which is it?

24"  between black stripes that are 12" wide? That leaves 12" white stripes, surely?? And that seems incorrect.

Quote:

'White stripes are 18" and the black stripes are 12"'

Quote 2:

'The under-surfaces port and starboard wings are painted with black strips running fore and aft at intervals of 24 in.'

Edited by New Tool

On 1/28/2021 at 11:11 PM, MDriskill said:

Nicely shown in this diagram from the "Airfix Model World" magazine supplement to their 1/24 Typhoon kit:

68158-BF8-3-BF2-4-C2-C-B732-7-A251584190

As it says here and in the AMO quoted above. 12" black, 24" white. 

On 1/26/2021 at 3:52 AM, Black Knight said:

AMO

A.664/42  APPENDIX 1

(Amended to A1096/42, issued 8 Oct 1942 and A1377/42 issued 24 December 1942)

A - RAF Commands

says

Typhoon aircraft are specially marked as follows:-

(a) The under-surfaces port and starboard wings are painted with black strips running fore and aft at intervals of 24 in. from the root of the wing to the inboard end of the aileron with the first black strip situated at the wing root.  The spaces between the black strips on the under-surfaces of the wings are painted white, but from the outboard edge of the outer black strips to the wing tips the under-surfaces remain sea grey medium.

(b) The spinner in front of the propellor blades only is painted sky (duck egg blue) and the remainder of the nose is coloured in the standard day fighter camouflage of dark green and ocean grey on the upper surfaces and coloured sea grey medium on the under-surfaces.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, phat trev said:

Thinking the identity markings would have been applied in a neater fashion than the invasion stripes? Any thoughts on this from others? 

Yes. Photos bear this out.  Standard marking, applied with care.

56 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

As it says here and in the AMO quoted above. 12" black, 24" white. 

Those are invasion markings. I don't mean those. I mean the ones mentioned by the original poster...

... I mean the identification stripes painted when the Typhoon came into use  to avoid confusion with Fw190s, which had caused the loss of aircraft due to friendly fire.

Edited by New Tool

The invasion markings are those with equal width stripes, initially above and below the wing and fuselage.  The upper view showing 12in and 24in stripes are the identification stripes settled on after trials with white noses.  I wasn't aware that any Typhoons were actually lost to confusion although friendly fire was always a menace.

43 minutes ago, New Tool said:

Those are invasion markings. I don't mean those.

The top half of the picture is what you're looking for and the AMO is extra confirmation of the measurements.

An interval of 24" in my book is 24" white according to the AMO.

I'm not sure where the 12" white you mention comes into play?

• Like 3

On 1/26/2021 at 3:06 AM, fubar57 said:

White stripes are 18" and the black stripes are 12"

This seems to be more correct to me, for the early non-invasion stripes  going by period photographs;  invasion stripes look to be of equal width, but the earlier stripes were not.

About friendly fire: from Wikipedia:

"As soon as the aircraft entered service, it was apparent the profile of the Typhoon resembled a Fw 190 from some angles, which caused more than one friendly fire incident involving Allied anti-aircraft units and other fighters. This led to Typhoons first being marked up with all-white noses, and later with high visibility black and white stripes under the wings, a precursor of the markings applied to all Allied aircraft on D-Day"

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

The top half of the picture is what you're looking for and the AMO is extra confirmation of the measurements.

An interval of 24" in my book is 24" white according to the AMO.

I'm not sure where the 12" white you mention comes into play?

OK, I see what you mean

I'm not sure the 12" and 24" would be correct. I'll measure some photo images I think.

Thanks