Chockers P-39d 82 Squadron RAAF

Here's another Oz Model.  This time the 82 Squadron P-39 Lend Lease. A53-6, FA-F finished in OD 41, EDSG, and Sky Blue.

1/48 Eduard P-39d

Aftermarket seats, and Curtiss Electric Propeller

50861179538_62930e0732_b.jpg 50874372503_41d70d8544_c.jpg 50875074451_ea565a2140_b.jpg

Started with the basic cockpit components.  The nice thing about this P-39 is that it has the twelve stack exhausts!

• Like 11

50885140228_f4153df2eb_b.jpg 50885964632_d5e7db6870_b.jpg

PE in place on the cockpit and Interior Green sprayed on.  Wash will be next and then I have to decide on my seatbelt options.  Im waiting for a specific P-39 book before I continue too much with the build.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great seeing one of these in the GB. 

Please reassure everyone you have lots and lots of weight in the nose, I built the old Airfix one as a nipper......

Let's just say, on mine, they were never going to wear the front tyre out !

Cheers Pat 

17 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great seeing one of these in the GB. 

Please reassure everyone you have lots and lots of weight in the nose, I built the old Airfix one as a nipper......

Let's just say, on mine, they were never going to wear the front tyre out !

Cheers Pat 

I think I have enough weight... I mean I sure hope so.  I used Uschi weight paste and also added fishing weight.

• Like 1

51005509637_8a7fd0de0c_b.jpg

Did a little more work.  The. Landing gear and lower fuselage is complete.

What colour grey did you eventually go with?

20 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice choice, I've built this one in 1/32nd, great to see her in a smaller scale!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Life Color Sky Blue, it was the closest I found at the time for the underside colour.

Give me some time to research and I could probably come up with some alternates.......

...... ok SMS (Scale Modellers Supplies) is a new company from Oz that is doing some nice lacquer paints/colours. They are now available overseas, USA Gundam Store looks to be the distributor in your part of the world. 

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/premium-raaf-sky-grey-fs36463-30ml

These lacquers are so nice to use, super tough, awesome finish, you just need to mix them down by 50% at least ( they are quite thick), any good lacquer thinners will work, though Tamiya yellow cap is the best.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Life Color Sky Blue, it was the closest I found at the time for the underside colour.

Give me some time to research and I could probably come up with some alternates.......

...... ok SMS (Scale Modellers Supplies) is a new company from Oz that is doing some nice lacquer paints/colours. They are now available overseas, USA Gundam Store looks to be the distributor in your part of the world. 

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/premium-raaf-sky-grey-fs36463-30ml

These lacquers are so nice to use, super tough, awesome finish, you just need to mix them down by 50% at least ( they are quite thick), any good lacquer thinners will work, though Tamiya yellow cap is the best.

I meant topside grey, there’s a lot of argument over the camouflage colours on top.

opps sorry.

From everything I found on her the thought is Extra Dark Sea Grey, per the instructions, and in this case Mr. Paint lacquer for both colours.

Theirs is no official record of the colour used on her and there was a wide variations in colour schemes used across the 22 we had (total time in service was ~18 months). They were all repainted RAAF Sky Blue underneath and by the looks of it the upper surfacers were whatever they had in the paint shop at the time!

There is a really good book on the RAAF Airacobra's  by Gary Bye which is/was released by Red Rap publications. It's a very through look at these aircraft and was the reference source for the decal set.

51018559192_eb482ce4b4_b.jpg

N41 Olive Drab in place!  Finally starting to look good.  Next is to mask for the EDSG.

On 06/03/2021 at 04:21, trickyrich said:

opps sorry.

From everything I found on her the thought is Extra Dark Sea Grey, per the instructions, and in this case Mr. Paint lacquer for both colours.

Theirs is no official record of the colour used on her and there was a wide variations in colour schemes used across the 22 we had (total time in service was ~18 months). They were all repainted RAAF Sky Blue underneath and by the looks of it the upper surfacers were whatever they had in the paint shop at the time!

There is a really good book on the RAAF Airacobra's  by Gary Bye which is/was released by Red Rap publications. It's a very through look at these aircraft and was the reference source for the decal set.

I've got a signed copy, just wanted your opinion.

• Like 2

51020715133_25c05d12a8_b.jpg

On 04/03/2021 at 04:01, trickyrich said:

nice choice, I've built this one in 1/32nd, great to see her in a smaller scale!  :thumbsup:

IMG_2510-L.jpg

Rich I tend to like your colours better but I haven't weathered or filtered yet.

EDSG is on and I'll be able to take a peek tomorrow at the final results.

looks nice, the EDSG will change tone when next the the green.

Plus EDSG (like most colours) does vary between manufactures sometimes greatly!

You do looked to have great finish!

51022740703_a1abf2b984_b.jpg 51022740758_af7a7554e5_b.jpg 51023570667_dce463a269_b.jpg

Adding more nose weight since I didn't put enough in.  It almost worked.  I had no extra room and even the Uschi lead paste didnt help.  Maybe the resin propellers will be enough to make it sit on its nose.

Also bought som Mig Anti slip paste to try out and so far it looks great.  It states to apply twice but it takes 24hrs to cure so will have to wait after my trip to do the second coat and then touch ups to the paint.

• Like 3

51054526011_849bfe2b0d_b.jpg

Shes all together now and I’ve started on some weathering.  I replaced the pitot tube to the correct version, I raided my p-40 kit for it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

51100598959_3e0cfb392a_b.jpg

Decals then stencils.  I'm going to have to redo the pitot, its too short but other than that the end is in sight.  Stupid tail sitter.

• Like 3

Tail sitter she may be, but that's not as bad as the picture in the 1st post ‼️😇

How bad is it? Because wheel chocks can help a bit. Front and back of the nose wheel, and that can even take a piece of double sided sticky tape. Also a decent pair behind the main gear tyres helps by moving the pivot point backwards from the tyre contact to the back edge of the chocks. 

A nice big metal barrel might be a help too. 

Shes very close but not close enough.  that wheel chock idea is a dandy!  Ill find a way to put those on all my bat bottomed girls.

• 2 weeks later...

51119641059_dee3953606_b.jpg 51119799963_b30b637f30_b.jpg

Weathering added and I realized that the F seems a bit out of place.  The fuselage seems longer on this kit so i'm hoping I was just imagining things.  Either way no holding back now.

• Like 4