The Korean Special F.8 Gloster Meteor RAAF

I bought this kit on a whim with the intentions to make an Israeli FR.9 however times have changed and I need another Hi-Speed Silver Jet in the collection.  That and I'm hoping to bang out as many "cabbage patchers" as I can for this group build.

1/48 Classic Airframes

Ultracast Large Bore Intakes, Wheels, and Brass Pitot Tube

Aftermarket Mig Killer Decals however I haven't decided if I want Cock O the North or Mountain Devil.

Heavy White Metal Rockets to try and keep this nose on the ground.

50861179548_8190b352ea_b.jpg

50875074461_53fd347a32_b.jpg

I started by removing all the resin tabs and cleaning everything up for primer.  The small little hydraulics I just cut off and superglues back on to make things easier and less chance of breaking at weak spots.  I also drilled out the MG's.

One PITA note was the Martin Baker seat had its thin flimsy sides snap off so I used thin plastic card to reshape and attach for something more permanent.  The control panel isn't the prettiest but I think it will be fairly hidden anyways.

• Like 5

50885140223_e0dae22e22_b.jpg

50885140213_7680363dc2_b.jpg

This little resin cockpit tub had its frustrating moments trying to get everything to fit properly.  Not much will really be seen but I do wish the instument panel was more detailed.

I just hope it fits in with the fuselage as I can foresee some issues rearing their ugly head.

• Like 7

50908951062_96df6038bb_b.jpg

Closed up the fuselage and now working on some goodies that arrived and some ugly seams.  I had to really adjust the cockpit to get everything to fit like it should and even then the landing gear bay isnt perfect but thats the part on the bottom so isnt a big deal for me atm.  

I used Ak's Gauzy and dipped the canopy which was really ugly and scratched in a bath and let sit overnight on a paper towel but covered.  It came out pretty darn clear and 1000% better.  I usually dont future or dip my canopies but this may just be the new norm.  I should have taken a before picture.  The canopy appeared almost frosted and now clear as day.  Great stuff.

• Like 3

50940348318_a77e78a548_b.jpg 50941043081_5915f9e985_b.jpg 50941151522_fb87f8b2c4_b.jpg

GAPS EVERYWHERE.  Talk about limited run.  Nothing fits.  I spent most of the week grinding away and this is what I'm left with.  Thankful for the aftermarket large bore intakes otherwise I would have shelved this.

Still have gaps that will be noticeable when the silver is on.  May be using plasticard followed by some surfacer.  Gonna need a break and focus more on my Kingfisher.  Good news is that my decals and rockets should be here in March!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

To my eternal shame I've never built a Meteor, I hope you don't mind if I follow this one. 

Best of luck 

Cheers Pat 

That makes three of us, I do have three matchbox N.F.Meteor’s. I even considered one as an Egyptian aircraft as a second build in the Africa group build. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

To my eternal shame I've never built a Meteor, I hope you don't mind if I follow this one. 

Best of luck 

Cheers Pat 

12 hours ago, mark.au said:

Don't feel too bad, neither have I.  I'll follow along for the same reason.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That makes three of us, I do have three matchbox N.F.Meteor’s. I even considered one as an Egyptian aircraft as a second build in the Africa group build. 

This is turning into a regular self-help group.

Hello, my name is Andrew and I have never built a a Meteor.... (but I have two in the stash)

AW

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Oy @Beazer are you laying on drinks and nibbles, for your group sessions  ?

Well, I am classically trained to do just that!  I shall incorporate beve's into this build for ya'll...

There is so much filler needed!  I just finished round 1

• Like 1

50984473362_37f07304e5_b.jpg

Wish I had airfixs kit as you can tell the joints exist lol.

Whatever shows up after the High Speed Silver goes on is staying.  Kinda tired fighting with kits like that.  I realize it’s part of the hobby but it’s my least favourite part and would prefer to learn and implement new techniques instead of filling and filing.

I know you can’t see it but I have a bottle of vinho verde hidden back there.  Celebrating the +8 weather.

• Like 3

51018559437_099272b131_b.jpg

The bottom is ugly.

The entire landing gear and placement is gross.  

Nothing fits and honestly the hydraulics I cant even put in.  Its alignment tabs do not jive in any way.  So I left it off.

Really regret spending money on aftermarket for this kit.  I'll power through and finish this nonetheless.

I'll grab an airfix kit and redo a different Aussie Meteor down the road.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Beazer said:

The entire landing gear and placement is gross.  

Nothing fits and honestly the hydraulics I cant even put in.  Its alignment tabs do not jive in any way.  So I left it off.

Very sorry its all gone so bad, if it helps it does look good. I probably wouldn't have notice anything out of sorts without prior knowledge. 

• 1 month later...
51102460213_de4c360d46_b.jpg

I persevered and have it all decaled up.  I ordered the airfix kit but it didn't get here in time for me to attempt that.

Its not up to snuff for me all its waiting for now is some weathering and the clear coat.  Might be done this one first of the 4 surprisingly.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
51128065826_ea3aa90623_b.jpg 51129180410_666c373f46_b.jpg 51129180215_b8f8105b1e_b.jpg 51128105702_1a35e3f92a_b.jpg 51128280833_a2e09bd75e_b.jpg

A little rough around the edges but she'll do, practice for the superior Airfix kit I would imagine.

I'm honestly surprised this even made it past the halfway mark as the landing gear was a misery.  I think it's only saving grace was the fact I put some money into it with the nacelles and other extras.  

In the end I had to add the light on top mid fuselage and this involved trying to colour match my Hi-Speed Silver paint.  It took a bit but because I had glossed it I had to really blend it in slowly.

Bit off a bit more than I bargained with thinking this would be a quick build and its eaten into my long list of others I want to complete but I guess ya cant always have Tacos and Hookers either.

• Like 4

Great work and result!

But as you noted, the Classic Airframes kit is not famous for ease of build.. did a twoseater some time ago  and the Airfix one was a big relieve in detail and overall quality!

(I added PE to dress up the gear bays though... looking great but lots of trouble as well ;) )