Advise on painting wood color and grain on plastic .........

Swede

I have modeled for a good long time but occasionally run up on a new thing to learn. Build all different types, subs, aircraft, armor, helicopters and the occasional motorcycle. I just finished a drawn out build and wanted to do something relaxing so pulled an old Entex 1/16th 1914 Militaire motorcycle out of the OLD pile. Well, first thing, the wheels are wooden. I have either used really fine veneer or balsa sheet or used Uschi decals. First, decals are out of the question, too many spokes that are not one steady circumference, top to bottom, and the total diameter of the wheel itself. So, its time for this old guy to learn a new trick or two. Any advise or info on how to go about this. The wheels are bare wood with a clear laquer finish. Hope someone can help out with this ..........

Ahh, never mind, just re-read your post and realised what you need. To achieve a wood effect on the wheel, the eaiest method would be oils over acrylic. Start by getting out some spare plastic sheet to pratice on, and a variety of yellows and light browns acrylic paint. Paint some separate strips or squares on the sheet and let dry. Then get a selection of darker browns artists oil paints and with a short haired stiff brush, apply a SMALL amount of oil brown onto the yellow squares and pull the brush down in one direction only. You will see this starts to give the wood grain effect. (you could also try a fan brush) be carefull not to overload the brush with paint and build up the effect with light layers. Practice varying the different browns on the different yellows and pick the color combo you like best for your wheels. Check over on the WW1 aircraft threads for more details on how people do this. Regards, Pete in RI

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, europapete said:

the eaiest method would be oils over acrylic. Start by getting out some spare plastic sheet to pratice on, and a variety of yellows and light browns acrylic paint. Paint some separate strips or squares on the sheet and let dry. Then get a selection of darker browns artists oil paints and with a short haired stiff brush, apply a SMALL amount of oil brown onto the yellow squares and pull the brush down in one direction only. You will see this starts to give the wood grain effect.

Yep ! Good advice right there. 👍

If you want to see Photos of that method have a look at my Avro 504 build, pages 27 and 32 for example. I’m sorry I don’t know how to provide a link to it - especially since right now I’m writing using a telephone. I’d never even tried a wood finish prior to the Avro but I found it simple and effective. 

• Thanks 1

Good tutorial posted on www.ww1aircraftmodels.com  Click on "Forum" Click on "Hints and Tips" in the aircraft modeling section. Click on " Woodgrain technique by Eric Larsen" which is posted  near the top.

• Thanks 1