Hi from Coalville, Leic's

tctele

Just making my first foray into WW2 warbirds after a 50 year lay off. About to start, all Airfix as that's what I was brought up on in 1/48th scale, BF109 as that looks the easiest and plenty of documentation on here and Youtube. Then the Sea Hurricane and Stuka.  I've also ordered Eduards Mk1a Spitfire  so I have an even number of Axis and Allied. No idea why though!. Airbrushing is the biggest learning curve for me. I build and fly lots of RC and Free Flight stuff so construction shouldn't be an issue. I really like the look of the P47M and the BF110 but I think I need a few models under my belt first. So many to choose from now since when I was a lad and most of the manufacturers I've never heard of. ICM do stick out a bit as I like the way they pick a model and then do all the variants. I think that's a clever way of doing it. I do like their JU88's.

Apologies in advance as I'm 100% sure I'll ask some dumb questions and have plenty of "Senior" moments!

Cheers, Tony

• Like 4

Hello Tony...:post1: from the city of  Chicago. Mostly aircraft but with some mixture. Ive probably built 500 models since 1979 and if you have questions Myself or someone here can help. Take your time on the airbrushing and remember this. Its better to mix it thin and do multiple coats rather than one heavy coat. And always clean after each session. Rinse between colors thoroughly and you should be ok. Ive owned six airbrushes since 1988 covering the brands from Paasche, Badger Tamiya, and Iwata so can offer a little help on this. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Tony. Feel free to ask any questions you like. It's a steep learning curve.

Tamiya acrylics are probably the easiest to start with for airbrushing. Thin it until it's like thin milk. You can use screenwash.

As Dennis said, thin coats. You'll need a primer. I use Hycote plastic primer in a rattle can. Cheap from the bay.

Above all, read and absorb the knowledge on here, and enjoy yourself.  

• Like 2

Hi Tony, welcome to the mad house!

Paul (on missionary work in the wilds of North Yorkshire!)

On 1/26/2021 at 3:21 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

I grew up in the South of Leicester

I KNEW there was a GOOD reason I left Ashby! :tease:

@adey m that would have been the Palitoy era. Factory was about 6 - 7 miles from J22 M1.

• Haha 1