Mr Hobby / Gunzi - opened bottle degradation.

amos brierley

Hello everyone.       I’ve got some stocks of Mr Hobby paints, but, I don’t use them as often as I should do. My problem is, once the bottles have been opened then they’re pritty much done for.  I’ve just come to finish my latest project, and a previously opened clear gloss is a brown gloup. And several other colours have just turned , bad.

Has anyone got any experience’s or top tips on best practices?

Stay safe.      Mossy.    😃

I have some bottles that have to be almost 10 years old and they're in perfect order. One of them is actually white so any flaws would be hard to miss.

Perhaps you used the wrong thinner with them? Or contaminated them with other paints? 

In my experience, as long as the cap and bottle neck are clean, the seal will be sufficient to keep the original solvent from evaporating.

The only similar thing I ever experienced was when I used some regular steel shakers with a water based clear. After a few months the shakers were rusty and the clear was brown-ish.

My experiences of Mr Hobby are the same as  bmwh548.   I've got about 30 odd jars a mixture of Aqueous and lacquer versions, some I've not used for a good few years all are fine.

I have and a Tamiya pot go off for want a better word.  It was white gloss opened it, used it, resealed it, after a few weeks it started to turn, brown then black.  There's no shaker ball in there, or anything else, I must have somehow contaniatend it, I've got almost the whole Tamiya acrylic paint range, never had this before or since.              

Gunze Aqueous are my preferred choice of point and I've never had any issues with paint quality of open jars.

OP - Where do you store them? A lot of paint doesn't react well to temperature extremes so if your modelling space is a shed, loft or garage the cold could have affected them.