British Mark II Tank 1/72 - aftermarket advice required

boston1832

Firstly, I'm new to the forum so please accept my apologies if this isn't the right area to post this sort of query.

Secondly, I'm having a go at my first plastic kit for many, many years so I'd appreciate a bit of advice about the contemporary market. I'm having a go at a Masterbox Mark II Male Tank as a bit of lockdown light relief from other slightly more metal-based hobbies. 

I'd appreciate any tips on what aftermarket bits are available and what's worth using. I've come across the replacement tracks from JK Resin (although frustratingly I can't seem to find their website, only a Facebook page) - any suggestions for any other suitable bits and pieces before I start? 

Thanks in advance,

Chris

On 1/25/2021 at 7:40 PM, boston1832 said:

I'd appreciate any tips on what aftermarket bits are available and what's worth using. I've come across the replacement tracks from JK Resin (although frustratingly I can't seem to find their website, only a Facebook page) - any suggestions for any other suitable bits and pieces before I start?

I have assembled a few odds 'n sods via Tracks & Troops in the Czech Republic for my forthcoming Mk. IV in 1/72. You'll find JK Resin tracks; also brass barrels for the long 57mm guns, Lewis and Hotchkiss guns, etc.

Don't be alarmed by the hideous postage charge they quote: it's the maximum possible amount, and they will reduce it as far as necessary when they post to you.

Panda Commander

Edited by Panda Commander
  • Thanks 1

I'd second the recommendation for Tracks & Troops, they can get pretty much anything, no matter how obscure, but it can sometimes take a while to arrive.....My personal record was 11 months (IIRC)

However you are not charged until the order is actually dispatched to you.

19 hours ago, Panda Commander said:

I have assembled a few odds 'n sods via Tracks & Troops in the Czech Republic for my forthcoming Mk. IV in 1/72. You'll find JK Resin tracks; also brass barrels for the long 57mm guns, Lewis and Hotchkiss guns, etc.

Don't be alarmed by the hideous postage charge they quote: it's the maximum possible amount, and they will reduce it as far as necessary when they post to you.

Panda Commander

Many thanks for that - I thought that someone out there must do barrels but failed to find any!

Now that I've got your attention...

...can anyone tell me if there are any known photos showing close-up detail of the area around the three tent-shaped exhaust baffles? I've seen a photo of model (lost the link for now) which has had short stubs of exhaust added in brass tube to protrude above the square baseplate, but there's no representation in the kit. I'd rather like to know if they're worth doing (or actually there at all) before I add the baffles. 

I have David Fletcher's Osprey book (and little else) and while it does have the enlarged cutaway view it doesn't show these in any detail. 

On 05/02/2021 at 09:13, Panda Commander said:

I can't quite visualise the area you mean, but there are a couple of excellent photo walkrounds here, e.g. Lodestar III in Brussels and Liberty at APG.

Panda Commander

Many thanks. It's this bit (with one of the exhaust baffles laid alongside). There are few images of the area on "Excellent" and "Liberty" but it looks like on the later builds the exhausts were combined into a silencer (or something similar) and the tent-shaped guards disappeared. 

50930312951_c8473b2e45_z.jpg

Edited by boston1832