1/25 Revell / Monogram Jaguar E-Type Coupe 1961

Hi everyone, having seen that Revell have launched the new tooled E-type, I thought I would give this re boxing a go. It's been in my stash for 5 years or so, the instructions are dated 2011, but the moulding dates back to 1963! I was born in 1962 and my dad was in the car trade in those days and owned a few MK 10's. He had a red hard top E-Type in the 70's which I got to ride in. I still remember the aircraft style cockpit and switches and dials that looked amazing and the push back into the seat as he floored the accelerator pedal.

jb3wXaH.jpg
w5ePOSp.jpg
cm6A7Xr.jpg
fKlVuC1.jpg

• Like 2

I built this kit a few years ago remember having trouble with the rear suspension and getting the bonnet to sit correctly when closed. Otherwise it went together quite well for its age.

Have you decided on colors yet for the body and interior?

Edited by dbostream

14 minutes ago, dbostream said:

I built this kit a few years ago remember having trouble with the rear suspension and getting the bonnet to sit correctly when closed. Otherwise it went together quite well for its age.

Have you decided on colors yet for the body and interior?

Hi,did you build a grey car with red interior? I looked at a build thread last night that featured this kit.

My plan is to do a custom mix of 50% VW Platin grey and 50% Mr Color  Super Metallics 201 silver.

That should get me near to the silver grey i am after,and i will do the interior in a red which i still have to figure out,but i have a bit of a plan to use a solid post office type red with some Tamiya smoke for pre shading,then covered with Tamiya clear red to give me a deep leather look.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, here is a work in progress update on the Jag. Considering this kit dates back to the early 60's and was originally a Monogram mould it's not too bad for its age. However, it's a challenging build that needs lots of forward planning. The engine goes together ok, but the rear suspension assembly needs careful attention to get everything to line up correctly. I tacked a few parts and nudged everything in place before the glue had time to set which worked well. The front headlamps looked awful, so I used some fine wire instead to get a better shape. For the enclosed lenses I used some UV cured clear resin, this was built up in layers until I got the shape I wanted. And I used the resin for the speedometer, tachometer and the rest of the gauges in the dashboard.

Also I used wire to replace the softly moulded chrome strip on the tops of the wings. These would be painted later with Molotow liquid chrome. The top and bottom body shell sadly leaves a nasty seam, I decided to mask and putty over the seams to get a more accurate looking body shell. The rear folded roof looked too box shaped, so I softened the edges with the heat from a soldering iron. Then I covered the part with masking tape to give a textured effect. I also added a length of solder to give the impression of the chrome strip. That's it for now guys, thanks for looking.

sWH5LDc.jpg
4zC1HMV.jpg
oEgTPFm.jpg
SUyF3GK.jpg
yGSVkNB.jpg
TTPsgx9.jpg
SgUdl1L.jpg
lb3G96h.jpg
erhVFHx.jpg
rcvQWKE.jpg
dWuzuwF.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, johnlambert said:

That's looking good.  Great paint finish and your modifications have done a a nice job of enhancing the kit parts.

Thanks John,i was going to paint it gunmetal grey with red interior,but the blue colour was easier to cover all the seam lines.

• Like 1