Mosquito MM417 487 New Zealand Squadron - RAF Hunsdon

I bought this 1:48 Tamiya Kit some time ago. I was inspired by another users essay with this kit. I acknowledge their inspiration and for providing some details about the model.

Thank You Wellsprop! 

I am indebted to Wellsprop for the following aircraft 'Bio' also !

"MM417 served with 487 New Zealeand Squadron, the squadron famous for raids such as Jericho as well as low level attacks on Gestapo headquarters in Aarhus and Copenhagen. I decided to build this kit with the bomb bays open and a full weapon payload. Painted with Hataka paints and lightly weathered to represent a machine that didn't see a huge amount of use before it was hit by flak and force landed at RAF Hunsdon on 26th March 1944"

As they say in Monty Python's Life of Brian.. " Come and see the stoning, should be good.. Local boy! " 

This aircraft was based at RAF Hunsdon which is an aifrfield very local to me!  Seems no contenst then which of the 3 options i'd complete this model as.. 

A Lovely kit to build.

I elected to portray it with the bomb bay doors closed but with the 250lb bombs on the pylons.. Imagining it fully ready for an 'Op' and taxying out to the runway along the peri track! 

Hataka Red Line RAF Set colours used on the underside and the ocean grey. Tamiya RAF Green 2 for the top! 

Here's some pics of the parts as they are now .. dry fitting stage!

20210122_123100

20210122_123042

20210122_122840

20210122_122829

Really enjoyed this kit.. and have some actual mud from Hunsdon on my bike.. might grind it down and use it as weathering on the wheels.! 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 10

29 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

have some actual mud from Hunsdon on my bike.. might grind it down and use it as weathering on the wheels.! 

Taking authenticity to new levels! Who doesn't love a Mossie?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Looking very good! 

Glad my RFI has been of use :) Be aware, this aircraft didn't have the aerial mast - the Tamiya kit tells you to add the mast.

Thanks! And credit where credit is due. Your build was excellent!

Those Hataka paints are spot on in my opinion! Especially the top side Ocean Grey.. to my eye the right grey /blue combination.

Yes i noted that the aerial mast was not present on this aircraft. The radio was internal i think so the mast no longer necessary.. think your build posting had something about this in it if i recall? and the IWM pic of it shows it sans Mast too!

Just now, wellsprop said:

I built it with the mast, before finding this picture and realising my (Tamiya's)   mistake!

mosquito-eg_t_-jpg.171726

I use Hataka blue line acrylics almost exclusively now - they really are lovely. 

I'm using the Red Line. But might try the Blue. Thought they were optimised for brush? Are you brushing them or using in an airbrush?  Andy

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo looking good so far and great progress  too.  You kept that one quiet Andy.  Has Corsaircorp been harassing you to do multiple builds???

Interesting project and great local connection too, like it. 

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Corsaircorp - he's blissfully unaware of this build !.. True, i have kept it under my hat until now! I was 'tickling' this build along with my recent Defiant RFI. Both these are in preparation for my Uncle Peter's  Tribute 1:32 Tempest V build.

I needed to up my game to do the RAF Temperate Fighter schemes cammo with an airbrush proper justice. Learning new skills is great!

Yes i like the local connection. Have cycled over to and round RAF Hunsdon quite a bit. 

When this moves to RFI  I'd consider taking some pics of this completed over at the airfield. Not really necessary but, they have a nice memorial set up already and think it's a fitting truibute !

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Fantastic fella, a cracking tribute.

Chris

Thanks. I always look for an interesting angle.. maybe it's something to convince SHMBO'd that i should do more stash -slackers rather than painting kitchen cabinets!

LOL

Actually the kitchen cabinets ARE now finished! ( as of Sunday night).. perhaps i should do a RFI posting?.. but don't want to antagonise anyone..  though it might bring a smile to many users faces?  

Andy

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I built it with the mast, before finding this picture and realising my (Tamiya's)   mistake!

mosquito-eg_t_-jpg.171726

I use Hataka blue line acrylics almost exclusively now - they really are lovely. 

That pic shows the exhaust stains brilliantly too! Beautiful stuff!

32 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Thanks. I always look for an interesting angle.. maybe it's something to convince SHMBO'd that i should do more stash -slackers rather than painting kitchen cabinets!

LOL

Actually the kitchen cabinets ARE now finished! ( as of Sunday night).. perhaps i should do a RFI posting?.. but don't want to antagonise anyone..  though it might bring a smile to many users faces?  

Andy

Think of all those brownie points  to allow purchase of modelling goodies or kits, you have earnt!!!

Chris

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

Local to me too!

Cool. It's actually a nice location don't you think Graham? You can sit on the benches provided next to the monument by the microlight club.. watch the aircraft and in between listen to the many skylarks  rising. There are some interesting base defence bunkers around the site too. It's a lovely location. The only downside in winter is the very sticky clay around the site. If you cycle there like i do it sticks to your wheels like glue! 

16 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I elected to portray it with the bomb bay doors closed but with the 250lb bombs on the pylons

MM417 - EG-T of 487 (NZ) Squadron with some of its stable mates

MUS980952.t5f7782c2.m800.xq5gYgn1_.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - used with Permissions)

487 (NZ) Squadron Mosquito attacking Gestapo HQ, Aarhus, Denmark

PR10470.t5f39f2ee.m600.xQlDiqm1m.jpg

Look forward to the rest of your build

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Think of all those brownie points  to allow purchase of modelling goodies or kits, you have earnt!!!

Chris

Yes Chris... my 'stock' is high at the moment with SHMBO'd due to this 'task' being completed! TBH i don't mind DIY painting etc. it's the prep i find mind numbing!

The next task is ... tiling ..at which i'm an expert having done it professionally at one time!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

MM417 - EG-T of 487 (NZ) Squadron with some of its stable mates

MUS980952.t5f7782c2.m800.xq5gYgn1_.jpg

487 (NZ) Squadron Mosquito attacking Gestapo HQ, Aarhus, Denmark

PR10470.t5f39f2ee.m600.xQlDiqm1m.jpg

Look forward to the rest of your build

Regards

Alan

Thank you Alan. hope to complete this build soon. Thank you for posting the additional pictures of Operation Jericho too.! 

The RAF Museum at Hendon has a flight simulator you can ride in which takes you on the Op Jericho bomb run.. think this still maybe from that combat footage. I did ride this last time i was there and it was a great experience! 

Despite a punishing lockdown work schedule i've made much progress on this. 

Just have to tidy up the canopy lines with a cocktail stick. Maybe add the real Hunsdon mud to the wheels..  

Not sure if i should spray it with a coat of varnish yet.. 

Here are few pics now.. Will move to RFI when completed.

The paints I used.. were Hataka and Tamiya

I used the Bluetack method this time. To get the RAF cammo pattern. Not bad, but not perfect , and some i had to redo dur to tiny oversprays.

Loved making this kit ! 

20210129_131433

20210129_130855 20210129_130917

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 3