Hasegawa Panther G (Steel Wheels) (Kit No. 31137)

echen

y4m7YjMC2_kxusm0Ygl4udydXxLb5DdzF40Oa5rY

I read a review of this kit that stated it was somewhat poor and lacking detail apart from the steel wheels. Unfortunately the review appears to be right.

y4mE9sKAliS242aOwdrn3CcA8hGLYHGqxnlwH4wY

There is no weld joint detail on the hull or the turret and what detail there is seems quite soft and rounded. The black marks are my initial mark-up for scribing the weld joints because, yes, I'm going to try and build it rather than using the wheels on a Revell Panther as suggested by the above mentioned review. The supplied tyred wheels will be useful for hanging on my Dragon and Revell Jagdpanthers as stowed spares. Also, the Dragon JP is an early mark but also comes with the late Panther flame-damper exhausts which I can use on the G.

y4m4_0qLRiA_MkYlfwGvRVthiChy8e05qjQzAVXp

On the plus side there is the later "chinned" gun mantlet and the gun looks good too. Another plus point is that the running gear can be built as a unit and added to the hull in one piece. I think this might be handy if the tracks are too short and require sticking to the wheels.

Edited by echen
  • Like 3

A little progress this afternoon.

I removed the weird blobs of plastic from the overhangs above the track runs.

y4mjHNwf6pnrA76wo0_PgZkzT1dXWAp4k2s1VJGK

I then made my first attempt at scribing the weld joints on the turret.

y4mB9nPI06amrRuy0jxxgbXWMgAuWQOGu11wXx_ky4mbdJdZMiamlgZgCjmni0U-4ah8J-oePtf6IP02

And the glacis

y4mJPqMc4YBAFCSmVzSGbcxw6rPK6O5IgYh7IvasNot too successful so far but not finished yet. Any ideas welcome.

I'm aiming at a late built model for which materials were at a premium and rushed to the front before there was no more petrol either.

Lower hull will be left in red primer,

y4mQlr5plsir1fbL25NuC5_CkPxaTDwVM8QQCX0P

with cam applied to only the upper, more visible areas and, maybe, just the outer wheels.

Talking of wheels. I do like these late steel wheels, no rubber tyres to paint, apart from anything else.🧑‍🔧

• Like 4

Had a bit of a problem.

Attaching the side fenders there are no locating pins. The fender, with cement applied, skidded up the side armour.

y4mSQX_AzDNo9NYVYz-Y2QjiHdi_EK1aqNuJsxdw 

and left a mess.

This will be mostly behind the cleaning rod tube and the spare tracks but will need a lot of tidying somehow.

The rear armour needs attention.

y4m7aqXIDzMMxM0FSdcFVFtbjIMFiVkFgz2LDxFu

The gaps need filling and the exhaust housings need adjustment to accomodate the later flame damper exhausts by removing the little locating blocks and drilling locating holes instead.

The locating hole for the gun barrel is much bigger than the locating pin.

y4m2qIlPbyhQFaKJ0Vdm0O4-F8G3Dh-b9pZhulpISo it'll be interesting getting the barrel square to the mantlet.

Also, the inner wheels have a large hole at the back to go over the axle with a smaller hole at the front for the outer wheel axle. The outer wheel locating points have acquired cement that will block the outer wheel axles.

y4mhrh5ViieUORdsHNtqRS-DfBJxffJ9lQikNotq

They'll need drilling to clear the excess and to enable fitting the outer wheels to line up correctly and so they don't stick out past the outer edge of the tracks.

• Like 2

Some more progress although it's beginning to look a bit disappointing relative to my aspirations for this kit.

y4mxmQJ--7uS-lN9jOaU6Gx2sARo3eEestCQCzxy

First coat of Humbrol Acrylic 94 on the front of the turret gun mounting and the gun is now tidied up and attached to the mantlet.

Outer wheel holes drilled out and all rims painted Humbrol Enamel 53 gunmetal.

Hull sides tidied a bit; at least they're on their way and if all else fails there's always mud.

The exhaust mounting boxes have been modified ready for drilling.

Aiming to add some lifting loops and handles around the turret but the plastic seems very hard and resistant to modification so it might end up closer to OOB than I planned.

• Like 3

Beginning to look a little like a Panther now....................

y4mUaULFkIyjLZPFlu_Jg0ojpJcW1p3N6xqNfqbf

y4mWSdxD5iW-ev1FHza8t1U81bunA-WCY2O9A-zv

Main gun, lifting loops, hatches and MG mount now in place with holes drilled for grab handles.

The supplied crew don't fit very well so they're saved for another day and the commanders hatch is fixed closed.

Still lots of tidying to do before I start any serious painting.

Edited by echen
  • Like 3

Just tried a track round the partially completed running gear; still awaiting a pinwash on the outer wheels and the fitting of the final row.

As I suspected, they're too short.😢

Schurzen and mud will come in useful methinks.

Unless anyone has any ideas for a different remedy?

y4mBnwc9aUqZfPtXHFCB-Eu6ep85I3aRj4wgHT1Ystarted initial work on the turret grab handles.

Managed to knock the MG mount ring off in the process so that'll have to go back on. There are no mounting guides for it so it just has to be cemented to the tops of the periscopes round the cupola.

Edited by echen
  • Like 3

• echen changed the title to Hasegawa Panther G (Steel Wheels) (Kit No. 31137)

MG mount refitted.

y4m_nMmQSOMRM1xCqBF3eHbxDcrsyWDmTQ6vHgq6

and first coat of base colour.

y4mdiwLjYGv_NsT0meFuvJwF7KIHy9PwK6o5aspZ

and first coat of pin-wash on the wheels; needs tidying.

y4mEfRl0b6vBU65yaQYMka97HVoPog_UX93ZKI_l

Haven't started the rubbery tracks yet - that's next on the agenda.

I used acrylics for the first time on the upper hull and turret. I've decided I like acrylics.

Problem is I've got a large number of enamels to use up................................................

My stash beckons.

• Like 2

Tracks painted.

Mix Humbrol Acrylic 186 and 53.

y4m_b-gtWl3u4yLUNExHxbtOAr3PbfeikBwKyZjb

Now just got to persuade them to stay on the wheels as they don't join up. 😟

• Like 2

Getting the tracks together.

y4myjcZcjWhGbpi26hzygKJ_lvP-WBh_fVT9ntgXBottom run attached.

y4m8Ndqfq2PQlLvx_2oYcyo2CsJVQR1j0xfKxHwpNow attached to sprocket, idler and top run length.

Not too pretty at the joints.

y4m0xMJbLy6lJ7GnXJaCKDwNrd6JSz_lRJRTB1G5

But, dry fitting the suspension units, they don't look too bad.

y4mHX6PiORg6O1iZVeDvMZSmqfjr4MF4R1LrD-sG

Also there are schurzen panels to be added. I'll separate the one-piece kit part with its raised panel lines and only fit a few individual panels.

Probably paint a couple with different cam as if replacements from another vehicle.

And I really must pay more attention to make sure base coats cover the whole tank.....................

• Like 2

Started on the schurzen.

y4mMU5vhHTPLUqZqHobG5kbFqdRRPVlXzq1DqUFZFinding them a bit tricky to separate as the plastic seems very hard.

Think I might make up some custom schurzen from plastic card. Probably be closer to scale thickness too. The supplied items are 1mm thick, although they're thinned at the outer edges; I'm sure crews in full-size Panthers would have appreciated 7.2cm thick schurzen but it's not really realistic.

Second basecoat - looks a bit tidier now.

y4msa3G_BdbmdbvRP24-oojI28SH4OFoKuOFkY1p

Replaced the plastic blobs on the engine deck with wire handles. The inner edges of the front of the running gear back plates need painting, as does the inside of the muzzle brake.

I think, maybe the sag of the track off the sprocket needs adjustment.

y4m67TZXo5GdLMSIdB3A41iUmvRY-GD6KR1OAcrW

The track could do with being cemented to the sprocket down to the next clear tooth to remove the rising stretch before it drops to the top of the road wheels. Didn't notice until I saw the above photo.

The camera is very unforgiving - shows up everything.

Please sing out if anyone spots anything else.

• Like 3

Beginning to think I need a forum with a different name WISP - Armour......................

Following on I adjusted the sag in the tracks from the sprocket down to the tops of the roadwheels.

y4mA9W0zjZtspgzqjrpk7-WRelcVsCoCz4jazzNf Methinks they look a little better now.

And following on in my build scenario for a late Panther G rushed out of the factory to the tank park still in all-over primer, prior to being camouflaged by the crew in the field, I've adjusted the hull colour.

y4mrR0sjXZeoJi-jnJJ_Tf5k4Frl73KAvFWQGciq

If the vehicle was released complete with schurzen the crew would probably have painted the camouflage without removing them, particularly if they were in a rush.

y4mpJyoIO0yApaBOZQb4KWNFc1q0NxvSCgyXD6V5

So the area below the fenders would not have been camouflaged and would retain the initial primer coat. Normally this would not show but I plan to leave some of the schurzen off and to have a couple of "borrowed" panels from a vehicle with a different cam pattern.

For the eagle-eyed experts the running gear is badly positioned. It isn't fixed yet pending more weathering and mud to disguise the gaps in the tracks etc...

Leaving it detachable will give access to the top track run and hull side-wall.

Edited by echen
  • Like 2

Made a start on the schurzen. Still needs a lot of tidying. Debating whether to add some schurzen mounting brackets where the panels are missing.

y4mUlBaVswD52lGGMPkKCB85sNcZIgzamymF7qQb

The leading two panels are the "borrowed" armour, humbrol 93 rather than 94. These will have white edged bands of cam red-brown like the bovington panther.

The flash in the muzzle brake still needs to be removed. Every time I see it I think must deal with that and it's still not done. (Memory of a goldfish.............)

Made a bit of a dogs breakfast of the cam, I'm afraid. Looking at it now I think I preferred it as it was. This is the better side.

y4mEOCro-jN5oA6bISZvegUqFokfBi-AhDSwbCp6

And this is the opposite side. Don't like it at all. Not happy.😠

y4m75RRC26KfZhrabmrTMkFboJJz18B7XA2wYXLv

In fact - very not happy. 😠😠😠

Came to this point with my JP last year and managed to salvage that so it seems I've got some salvaging to do here too!

• Like 2

It's sad when it doesn't turn out like one hopes.  Sometimes something simple like weathering or a spray of "dust" might bring out some of the lost detail.  I don't think I'd give up on it at all.  You've put a great deal of work into it, and the photos don't do it justice.  It's a handsome vehicle.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cometracer said:

It's sad when it doesn't turn out like one hopes.  Sometimes something simple like weathering or a spray of "dust" might bring out some of the lost detail.  I don't think I'd give up on it at all.

Thanks mate. I'm planning on adjusting the cam pattern in a few places and then, as you say, a wash works wonders. Also there are the tools etc to go on yet so I'll persevere with it.

Attempted to get the camo a bit closer to how I wanted it.

y4mUiSYvsguVy86zEE4_0uraVGuHrj8o4L38iWAw

But the paint didn't go on too well so I think this build is developing toward an experimental look at techniques.

y4m3t1DtkbecNJv0Tktky4T4nottvBiHqfSt-y0a

The touch up coats on the green areas seemed to be attacking previous coats so I'll put the patchiness down to a "rush job" by the crew because of an urgent need to get to the front as per the build scenario. 

I lightly sanded a few areas to try and replicate scuffing. I'll try some chipping later too.

Gloss cote, decals and dark pin-wash next then tools etc. followed by an overall wash to tone it all down prior to some mud.

Edited by echen
Correction
  • Like 1

I added a dark pinwash after a coat of Humbrol Gloss Cote.

y4m10LkwcySA9MazEZH13bwwUaLyz7lF9-VXs9Nj

Haven't got the hang of pinwashes yet. They always seem to spread where I don't want them to spread instead of being the fine lines I hope will be the result.

y4mZNE7uQuuMmZlLL3qSRlmN4zmUaS1TY208Rd1jy4mev5gabdtZGsfcNfWPTCcxD8FZglSuCqbdjkdF

I know they can be tidied with a fine brush and thinners but they're still not the fine lines I hoped for.

y4m3VCXNlY_vc-5-zoUX2ULedKRqD8O2BtdkOFFQ

Any ideas on how to prevent the spreading would be much appreciated - or tips on where I'm going wrong?

• Like 2

Tools fitted and frames painted. Cleaning rod container mounted across the rear deck.

y4msMxUDlOrZnRgKlrAEsFW0lKIiAQfy4U6VOyO6 Not decided yet whether to leave the turret number in outline or to add the black fill.

y4mUmS_hjjfBrEE2StfrLVYlpjDDQFxiYKxMHvSd

Still lots to do.

• Like 3

Not sure what went wrong with your pin washes. You've done it on gloss which has helped me control them better (I used to do it on satin and it was never as good as I wanted). Saying that the bumps on the front fender and back boxes are always a bit of a pig for me, so a blending brush is needed.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

so a blending brush is needed

I'm planning an overall wash once all the fiddly bits are complete. Hopefully it'll tone things down and reduce the contrast. There'll probably be quite a lot of mud too - I overcooked highlighting the highpoints on the tracks. The "dry brush" wasn't as dry as it needed to be. :sad:

However, I think the salvage work is beginning to take effect.😌

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tools painted and pin-wash corrected a little

y4maaVt5NdVQQ6vwS5RLbxA3DsInztzdffmDNuje y4m69wr20FKJaA-Wfe2OlfZfjsc_Oqq58CJ7kG0R.

y4m0leHjoxS9zPaOP88REGu4z2iYgSTdHkVmToxiNext steps, a matt coat and some washes overall and then some mud on the lower panels and running gear.

• Like 2

Matt coat now in place.

y4mSfvm-Ok-R46ic1zNo10DsYUr4blJR3vrGvdlI 

y4m9TBmGRntQ6Rg9qj7nPMt3YqpVxC3PSipLfODVy4mgLSOsLwKd0E7Zcvv0l3eB5VkLx74h1dPGUNLP

Rear view shows track back-plates not yet fixed as further weathering is forecast for this area.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...