Blackburn Skua - Eastern Express 1/72

CedB

Maybe I’ve started a new thing ? 🤔 Hmmm “interestingly moulded” a bit like my Cashew cheese. 🙃

nowt wrong with those internals. I can see seats. Two of em. 🥸🥸

Great work Mr B. She’ll be a winner I just knows it. 😇

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, malpaso said:

For another period description of the prewar colour this probably won’t help from the original Aircraft of the Fighting Powers (Dec 1940):

“these first production machines were left the natural silver finish of the Alclad covering.”

The revised and completely redrawn vol 1 (late 1942 edn) avoids mentioning pre-war colours for a more realistic operational history commencing “Outstanding success has not attended the active service career of the Skua...”

BMF sounds unlikely but I assume the Alclad would quickly dull to a light grey in the UK climate.  AFP suggests this was only the earliest deliveries to 800 sqn; although everyone poo-poos AFP they were written at the time by people who had seen some of these aircraft; obviously the further from England the greater the dependence on secondary sources.  They’re fun books to dip into anyway!

Cheers

Will

Thanks Will - leaning towards a silver, or toned down BMF now :)

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Maybe I’ve started a new thing ? 🤔 Hmmm “interestingly moulded” a bit like my Cashew cheese. 🙃

nowt wrong with those internals. I can see seats. Two of em. 🥸🥸

Great work Mr B. She’ll be a winner I just knows it. 😇

Thanks Johnny :)

16 hours ago, Martian said:

The cover is described in "Skua, The Royal Navy's Dive Bomber " by Peter C Smith.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian :) 

Not much done today - too many online catchups!

The crew are done and seated. Don't touch anything chaps… What? Oh, right…

Prop straightened and tips painted.

Engine and cowl cleaned up and painting started:

50884914467_48ffd9aa49_z.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Carrier aircraft would not have had a bare metal finish because of corrosion.  A prototype might well have.

True, but in theory for Alclad the outer pure aluminium layer is the corrosion protection for the inner structural alloy element of the panel.  Apparently in its early days it was tested by spraying with sea-water.  The point of Alclad was it's corrosion resistance, otherwise one could use "normal" aircraft alloy like duralumin which were lighter.

• Thanks 1

Better, indeed, in a land environment, but not corrosion free even there.  Salt water is vicious.

However, the other sign of a bare metal aircraft is that different panels are visible, because of the grain of the metal does not align.  If it is a smooth overall single tone (like these Skuas) then it is paint. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Graham and Will :) 

Looks like paint is the answer then… once the sanding is finished:

50887663867_13b5222720_z.jpg

Initial filling with Humbrol sanded, then dry-marker pen used to highlight problems, filled with Mr Dissolved Putty.

More sanding later - ugh.

• Like 8

Hi Ced,

this is coming along nicely! I've been doing a bit of sanding recently, too, so you have my sympathies :) I've not tried Mr Dissolved Putty - is it good? But then, I've only just bought some Mr Surfacer!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Ced,

this is coming along nicely! I've been doing a bit of sanding recently, too, so you have my sympathies :) I've not tried Mr Dissolved Putty - is it good? But then, I've only just bought some Mr Surfacer!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark :)

Strangely I find sanding therapeutic. Sometimes. Only if it goes well, of course.

Mr Dissolved Putty is fairly new to me - I've had a pot for ages but only recently started to use it having learned the 'apply in layers' tip.

There's some thoughts on it from other BMers here and 'thin with TET' is a saviour!

17 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Looks like she's gonna do just fine! 

Just ordered some Mr DP for touching up my TSR2. 

Thanks Lewis :) 

My TSR2 fell off the ceiling some time ago and is now in bits in the cabinet.

Of course my 'standards' have changed since I built it so I'm in two minds about fixing it or stripping it down… one day.

14 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice progress so far Ced, looking forward to the next instalment now

Stay safe         Roger

Thanks Roger- wait no longer :) 

Sanding on the fuselage complete, prop painted and wings assembled:

50889366398_15bd5fdcf7_z.jpg

The engine's had some attention:

50889366938_508650b391_z.jpg

Mr Metal Color Iron, polished a bit for the intakes, and the gearbox painted grey in case Chris is watching :) 

• Like 14

33 minutes ago, CedB said:

Strangely I find sanding therapeutic. Sometimes. Only if it goes well, of course.

Mr Dissolved Putty is fairly new to me - I've had a pot for ages but only recently started to use it having learned the 'apply in layers' tip.

There's some thoughts on it from other BMers here and 'thin with TET' is a saviour!

Thanks, Ced!

I find sanding quite therapeutic as well, and the sanding sponges I bought inter-lockdown have been brought into use. I've always relied on wet-or-dry paper before, and the sponges are a bit of a revelation!

I'll have to order some Mr Dissolved Putty and give it a go - the TET is an interesting tip!

The Skua is making great progress, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she turns out :) 

Kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

My TSR2 fell off the ceiling some time ago and is now in bits in the cabinet.

Of course my 'standards' have changed since I built it so I'm in two minds about fixing it or stripping it down… one day.

If you want to make it more real, you should scrap it, buy an F-111 and throw it away then, build a Buccaneer.

Nice work on the Skua.

• Haha 12

On 30/01/2021 at 10:32, adey m said:

touch what exactly, not much there, they can't even hold hands 😂

Thanks adey :D 

On 30/01/2021 at 10:35, adey m said:

A question that always comes back into my mind ................. when did cockpits start being painted green ?

No idea, sorry. I think it must be a pre-war thing as all my models are IG (I think).

On 30/01/2021 at 10:39, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Ced!

I find sanding quite therapeutic as well, and the sanding sponges I bought inter-lockdown have been brought into use. I've always relied on wet-or-dry paper before, and the sponges are a bit of a revelation!

I'll have to order some Mr Dissolved Putty and give it a go - the TET is an interesting tip!

The Skua is making great progress, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she turns out :)

Kind regards,

Mark

I'm a convert to Mr Flory's sanding sticks - great range and quality and they last for ages if you wash them out (and don't use them on wet filler!)

21 hours ago, Beard said:

If you want to make it more real, you should scrap it, buy an F-111 and throw it away then, build a Buccaneer.

Nice work on the Skua.

:rofl2:

Thanks Simon - that's sort of how I remembered it too… I had a picture of the TSR2 in my scrapbook with 'scrapped' scrawled over it. So disappointed as a lad :( 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Something to show!

This isn't going to fit, is it?

50894215252_dbda9b1bb6_z.jpg

Once the flash was cleaned out it was time for a dry fit:

50893401573_8d9c248a33_z.jpg

Oh dear.

Looking at the wing locating lugs you can see this 'extra plastic' on the top half:

50893402323_bf3438bf84_z.jpg

You can almost see the 'line' of the old mould.

I'll chop that back and see what we have.

The other side?

50894306996_e7fd4a788d_z.jpg

Better.

Not good, but better.

What was I expecting you might ask…

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

You might have been expecting to fold the wings if you bought this New Exciting Frog Kit back in the eighteen nineties or whenever...

Just sayin'.  Oke?

Myself me I cuss the day I opened this thread and read Brian Derbyshire's input

And as you know I have one in a box in another room (No gentle reader Ced has not been rustling through my drawers and boxes, I offered him mine earlier) and now my pique is interigued.

I suspect a model from the brown and green war era is in the distant offing, dammit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I amend my previous comment about Frog kits cleaning up nicely and going together well with the following caveat:

...after @CedB beats it into submission!    🔨    :fight:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Beard said:

Exactly that. Nothing to worry about though, a file and some filler cure the problem.

Thanks Simon :) 

But wait!

Luckily I was catching up with BM when I saw TonyOT's lovely RFI of the Special Hobby kit and the wings aren't flush at the front!

Look, see?

1434615729861.jpg

Thanks to Tony for the image - hope you don't mind me pinching it)

1 minute ago, perdu said:

You might have been expecting to fold the wings if you bought this New Exciting Frog Kit back in the eighteen nineties or whenever...

Just sayin'.  Oke?

Myself me I cuss the day I opened this thread and read Brian Derbyshire's input

And as you know I have one in a box in another room (No gentle reader Ced has not been rustling through my drawers and boxes, I offered him mine earlier) and now my pique is interigued.

I suspect a model from the brown and green war era is in the distant offing, dammit.

Good news Bill that you might be into brown and green again! :) 

I must point out that I haven't rustled through anyone's drawers for ages! Fnaar!

2 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I amend my previous comment about Frog kits cleaning up nicely and going together well with the following caveat:

...after @CedB beats it into submission!    🔨    :fight:

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill :D

Very kind - we shall see, we shall see…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm dithering now. Some pictures don't show the step and those that do have it closer to the fuselage than the lump in the kit.

I'd better check how the gear fits - up, of course.

The parts need 'a bit of cleaning up':

50894589881_080049e5f3_z.jpg

Oh good grief…

• Haha 7
  • Sad 3