Tamiya 1/24 Nissan 240z

Smokeyr67

Well, I was underwhelmed by most of Tamiyas new releases, but the 240z has got me a little bit excited.

I can’t wait for them to release some more details, in the meantime I’ll have to start digging up some reference material.

• Like 2

From what is shown on Tamiya's website, it looks rather impressive:

https://www.tamiya.com/japan/featuredreleases_early2021.html

The old Revell 240Z was full detail and but is ancient.  Fujimi's one has an engine (or at least, some versions do), but not much other engine detail and the bonnet needs cutting out from the bodyshell.  Hasegawa's versions are apparently the best, but are only curbside.  This new Tamiya is full detail, with proper engine bay, so has its own niche.

Whilst is is a 240ZG, the CAD looks like it allows for other variants too such as regular road car, and a rally car, which would make sense from a tooling and investment point of view.  Not a massive fan of the ZG, but a would love a full detail regular Z, so hoping that does indeed come later.

• Like 2

I was pleasantly surprised by the CAD images, being full detail put it on my “must buy” list. 

I’d love to see it come as a “3 in 1” kit (Z, ZG and the Safari), but if they release them one at a time over the next few years, I’d be very happy with that too.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:19 PM, Paul H said:

The old Revell 240Z was full detail and but is ancient.  Fujimi's one has an engine (or at least, some versions do), but not much other engine detail and the bonnet needs cutting out from the bodyshell.  Hasegawa's versions are apparently the best, but are only curbside.  This new Tamiya is full detail, with proper engine bay, so has its own niche.

Whilst is is a 240ZG, the CAD looks like it allows for other variants too such as regular road car, and a rally car, which would make sense from a tooling and investment point of view.  Not a massive fan of the ZG, but a would love a full detail regular Z, so hoping that does indeed come later.

Aoshima released different S30s with aero body, no engines though

Luigi

On 25/01/2021 at 11:19, Paul H said:

I was worried that it would be a ZG, but at least it sounds like there is hope for an ordinary 240Z at some point.  I'm tempted all the same.

On 25/01/2021 at 11:55, Smokeyr67 said:

I was pleasantly surprised by the CAD images, being full detail put it on my “must buy” list. 

I’d love to see it come as a “3 in 1” kit (Z, ZG and the Safari), but if they release them one at a time over the next few years, I’d be very happy with that too.

I think Tamiya's preferred style is to offer completely separate kits for different versions of the same basic car; but some sprue mouldings will be shared between the different kits.  Although an export-style 240Z might come with left- or right-hand drive dashboard and pedals.

2 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I was worried that it would be a ZG, but at least it sounds like there is hope for an ordinary 240Z at some point.  I'm tempted all the same.

Thinking about it more, I'd be very surprised if there isn't a regular (i.e. not ZG) version later on, as wasn't the real ZG sold only in Japan?  A regular Z kit would have much more sales appeal overseas & Tamiya has often done different releases for domestic & export markets.  Incidentally, I note that Hannants are listing it as a future release with a retail of £45, which for a new tool full detail Tamiya kit is probably about right & also puts it at the same price as the cheapest Hasegawa Z that they have listed (the rally Z is £53).

However those stock wheels & hubcaps do the Z no favours - the big question is will they do a set of Wolfrace slot mags to go with it!!! 😎

• Like 1