1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Homebee

On 21/07/2021 at 13:22, Nocoolname said:

Still no release date for UK stockists? Has gone from 'due on (insert date)' to 'due soon' and stayed that way since. Must be some hold up.

Can imagine a few UK retailers getting a bit nervous. One has had a number of cancellations because people can already get them from Europe with not much price differential.

PS apparently the latest arrival date from the Hobby Company has now shifted to next week.

1 hour ago, IT_Man said:

Can imagine a few UK retailers getting a bit nervous. One has had a number of cancellations because people can already get them from Europe with not much price differential.

PS apparently the latest arrival date from the Hobby Company has now shifted to next week.

That's how I ordered my second. I think there are supply chain issues for lots of things at the moment to be fair.

• Like 1

Source: https://www.facebook.com/hypersonicmodels/posts/4186803924738945

Some more details on the Mk.H5 seat and the Tamiya kit: To clarify, my resin seats remain basically unchanged, except for a small hole at the back to accept a new mounting device, just like the "Tee" that's on Tamiya's seats. When you install it you can mount my resin seat to the kit's rail parts. Here are a number of pics, incl. comparisons with the kit seats for size and shape.

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/martin-baker-mk-h5-ejection-seats

mini_21072308473739615.jpg mini_210723084737287875.jpg mini_210723084737549243.jpg

220546856-4186802951405709-8486152163170

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, czaralko said:

What a difference! the tamiya seat looks different on the head rest area, closer to how the seats in the RF-4E look

Probably because Tamiya’s is a Mk.7 and Hypersonic is a Mk.5. So they would look different in the head rest area.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, czaralko said:

What a difference! the tamiya seat looks different on the head rest area ... .

Kind of like this?:

Martin+Baker+Mk+5+vs+Mk+7.jpg

Courtesy of Tommy Thomason.

Gene K

EDIT: Sorry, Greg. We posted at the same time.

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Kind of like this?:

Martin+Baker+Mk+5+vs+Mk+7.jpg

Interesting comparison image of the 5 vs 7. Likely being instructional seats, but the very top part of the seat is much more angled up on the 5 than the 7, even considering the seats are not exactly photographed at the same angle.

• Like 1

So what's the rule of thumb to what seat we should be fitting to an F-4B? Mk.V or Mk.VII?  Does it relate to a particular serial number or date in service? Cheers.

4 hours ago, keithjs said:

So what's the rule of thumb to what seat we should be fitting to an F-4B? Mk.V or Mk.VII?  Does it relate to a particular serial number or date in service? Cheers.

Try the link in my post just above -- that is this  one.  You'll need the time frame when the particular aircraft you're modeling was flying.

MB seat convention is to use numbers vice Roman numerals.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Gene K said:

Try the link in my post just above -- that is this  one.  You'll need the time frame when the particular aircraft you're modeling was flying.

MB seat convention is to use numbers vice Roman numerals.

Gene K

So if I’ve got it right, the kit seats will be just fine for the builds I’m planning - the VF-51 CAG as included in the box and the VF-111 CAG - since both birds are from the early 70’s after completion of the conversion of the F-4’s to the Mk.7?

The Mk.5 seat in the pic above (Tommy's blog) is not a Phantom H5 seat, but a Mk.P5. The is different in a number of ways from a Phantom seat and closer to a Mk.F5 found in F-8 Crusaders.

Here is the H5 (Navy variant) for the Phantom:

Mk%20H5%20Navy1.jpg

J

• Like 1

I've just need a few shops have stock but I've seen what could be the most ridiculous thing I must have seen with a model kit for decades 

Am I right that you have to purchase the stencil data decals separately from the kit. If this is correct then it is the single most moronic thing I've heard of for years. 

It's not like some lazy manufacturers just not doing the stencil data decals and an aftermarket brand stepping up but it's actually tamiya producing it and asking extra money for it. 

I hope I'm wrong with this comment 

Edited by thepureness
  • Like 1

New dedicated KASL Hobby F-4 leading edge flaps set - ref. K48143

Sources:

https://www.shop2000.com.tw/KASLHOBBY/product/p40420025

https://www.facebook.com/KASLHOBBY/posts/4728678133827401 

225573703-4728674543827760-4063882891618

225326564-4728675033827711-1518658540156

222628484-4728675270494354-2472104080297

F-4 TE flaps are also on the way

Source: https://www.facebook.com/KASLHOBBY/posts/4737547992940415

228856153-4737547559607125-3417170635628

A reliable shop for KASL products

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/category/AIR12345678/AC48U/maker/KASL.html?t=1627887254 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released
15 hours ago, Homebee said:

The Tamiya kit is a late B model, so I "kind of" understand :rolleyes: KASL not including the Inner Leading Edge Flaps.  But please ... .

However, what I don't understand is their pre-shipment price of 500 yuan for 4 relatively small pieces of resin --- that's $77.38 USD according to Google. :worry:  Is that correct??????

Gene K

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Especially as it's £40 by Air Mail to get the Tamiya F-4B and F-14A (for a price of £88.24 for both kits!) delivered from Japan to the UK.

The F-4B comes in a particularly large box. Packed into an outer posting box or padding it comes exactly to 90cm combined edge length which is the maximum size for a "small parcel". Anything added to that means it has to be sent as parcel post, EMS or courier with the accordingly large price tag.

As for the flap set: Kasl are "traditionally" high priced but ummm, that is hefty...

EDIT: Just read on KASL's FB page that the USD price is supposed to be $17.90. That sounds a bit better :)

J

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 6:53 AM, JeffreyK said:

EDIT: Just read on KASL's FB page that the USD price is supposed to be $17.90. That sounds a bit better :)J

Much better!

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Here's some  :giggle: speculation about future Tamiya 1/48 Phantoms, such as the F-4C/D:

The Marking Stickers Sheet in the Tamiya F-4B kit has extra masks as shown below. The two "n" masks are the size of the F-4C/D Landing and Taxi lights, while the insets on rear canopy parts  "o" and "p" are where outside rear view mirrors would mount.

Vi9vjb8l.jpg

a9MapOIl.jpg

Gene K

• Like 6

15 hours ago, ABeck said:

So: If C/D then also thick wing J/S. 

And after the S, the next logical wing mod would be a slatted E, leading to an F-4G.  Etc ... .:thumbsup:

(I actually love the current ZM kits ... waiting for their F-4G, so I'm good!) 

Gene K