1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Homebee

Wow!

I only have the Eduard boxing of the Academy F-4B Phantom. While it's a nice kit, it really needed the Hypersonic upgrades and corrections. It's a really simple kit that goes together very well; if you test fit before committing to glue. However ZM has spoiled my liking of the Academy Phantom family because all the details are right there and dripping off the kit. The design quality of ZMs early F-4s are enough to forgive the little error in the ZM kits hips. (ZM fixed this on their F-4E kits.)

From what I can see Tamiya's F-4B is easily as good as the benchmark set by ZM. So I decided to take the plunge! 

I ordered TWO Tamiya F-4Bs from Hobby Easy! :drink: 

With shipping the total cost of each kit will be around $98. That's what I paid for their F-14s.

There's only one way I could get these for a lower price. That's when Tamiya sets up a sales booth at one of the local airshows (which is canceled😷) and offers their kits for about 40-50% off!:dog:

• Like 1

Another price indication +/- 50.00 GBP + P&P at 

Hobby Easy - https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/dkmmmxc9sytklcunrcgk.html?t=1612104001

Lucky Model - https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TA 61121

Some need to lay off the H...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TA61121

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Homebee said:

Another price indication +/- 50.00 GBP + P&P at Hobby Easy 

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/dkmmmxc9sytklcunrcgk.html?t=1612104001

Some need to lay off the H...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TA61121

V.P.

I consider my Pre-Order with H as merely provisional, I would be bonkers to pay their current projected price if some of these much lower prices do indeed come to fruition, do they have a price guarantee on these future prices? if so I'll change right now 🤑

Heard too, folk are really getting stung with importing kits, more so than before than just Customs with Brexit ... damn I hate typing that word !!

But yup. My H order is just provisional, will be looking for best deal as kit release draws nearer.

Edited by One 48

19 minutes ago, One 48 said:

My H order is just provisional, will be looking for best deal as kit release draws nearer.

The H pre-order price is almost the same as at Jadlam, I have put my name down for one at H but as you say it's only an option should better deals be out there.  I'm wary of deals from the Far East, it's not only the tax that could be imposed, the handling fee to reclaim the tax can cost as much again.  Looking at prices on ebay , kits on sale from China, inc p+p are not too different from UK prices but there is not the risk of extra charges on delivery. :winkgrin: 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Boman said:

Anyone heard more on the next in line? Assume it will be an F-4C/D? That's the one I'm waiting for :)

You might have to wait for a long time. :clif:

Tamiya moves at a glacial pace and in most cases never does a follow on kit. Unlike Eduard, Tamiya usually release just one new tool 1/48 kit a year. :banghead:

We'll know more about Tamiya's intentions once the kit is out and the sprues can be examined for clues that an F-4C/D/N are in the cards.:poke:

My hope is that Tamiya chooses to join the 21st Century and have a F-4B/C ready for sale during the time the American PMS Convention is scheduled to happen in July 2021. 

Now if you're looking to build an F-4C/D right away you can't go wrong with the ZM kit with an MSRP of $75. Excellent wheel well and speed brake details, Wonderful cockpit too. Just may need burner cans and tires if you're so inclined.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking at prices on ebay , kits on sale from China, inc p+p are not too different from UK prices but there is not the risk of extra charges on delivery. :winkgrin: 

The Ebay prices now include VAT. I've just ordered a kit from China. I'll be interested to see if charges are added upon delivery given that I've already paid the tax.

Jon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Masinissa said:

... you can't go wrong with the ZM kit with an MSRP of $75. Excellent wheel well and speed brake details, Wonderful cockpit too. Just may need burner cans and tires if you're so inclined.

Burner cans and tires to replace those in the ZM kit? :wonder:

Gene K

20 hours ago, Masinissa said:

You might have to wait for a long time. :clif:

Tamiya moves at a glacial pace and in most cases never does a follow on kit. Unlike Eduard, Tamiya usually release just one new tool 1/48 kit a year. :banghead:

I totally agree. Tamiya consistently lays the ground work for multiple versions, but commonly does just 0-2 follow on kits. The F-14 is a prime example: the first F-14A kit has clear provisions to do either a later block F-14A or F-14B. For a later F-14A, they would only need to replace 1-2 F-14A sprues with those from their F-14D and add in one other tiny new sprue (TCS and bumps for the ALQ-126). Despite this relative ease (imho) and the fact that the clear majority of aftermarket decals are for later F-14As (suggesting a clear market); Tamiya has chosen not to do this kit 5 years after their F-14A release. They did a beautiful F-14D, which was not quite expected after looking at the F-14A kit and seeing that the F-14D was actually more work.

Their recent P-38 took the opposite approach. Started with P-38F, then G with new markings, and finally the H with one tiny new sprue for this version.

Similarly, their recent 1/72 F-16CJ has clear provisions for multiple variants, but no follow-up has been released 7 years after the first. Seems like a follow-up is unlikely.

The take away is that you can't accurately predict what Tamiya will release since their designs are generally engineered to accommodate multiple versions, but often choose not to make use of those accommodations.

Given that the ZM kit is genuinely excellent, I'm guessing that Tamiya will choose to skip versions kitted by ZM (F-4J, F-4S, F-4C, F-4D, and F-4E with more to come). So a follow-up kit is more likely to be a F-4N or perhaps a very early F-4B; or nothing at all..... I wouldn't make plans for their "planned next release" until it is officially announced given their historical approach.

-Nick

• Like 6

Check out Tiger Hobbies offering them for £71.95 including UK delivery.  Now finished

Regards

Robert

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Robert said:

Check out Tiger Hobbies offering them for £71.95 including UK delivery.

Regards

Robert

So around £97.34 by the time you've added fees. Obviously not worth it, I'll wait to see what prices they end up in the UK - since you can get the 1/48th F-14 for around £25 cheaper than retail I'm sure you'll see the F-4 going for around £75-80 in a few months time. Plus if there's a problem with the kit it's easier to get it sorted with a UK retailer.

17 minutes ago, Robert said:

@TboltTiger Hobbies are a UK company based in Yorkshire so no extra  costs, or am l missing something?

Regards

Robert

Sorry I was getting them mixed up with another model shop, one that I can't remember the name of at the moment but has a .co.uk address but is not in the UK. Anyway very tempting at that price.

EDIT - Super Hobby was the company I was thinking of.

On 2/2/2021 at 5:25 AM, npirnia said:

Given that the ZM kit is genuinely excellent, I'm guessing that Tamiya will choose to skip versions kitted by ZM (F-4J, F-4S, F-4C, F-4D, and F-4E with more to come). So a follow-up kit is more likely to be a F-4N or perhaps a very early F-4B; or nothing at all..... I wouldn't make plans for their "planned next release" until it is officially announced given their historical approach.

-Nick

Not a good idea, tamiya has a distribution that ZM can dream of.. plus ZM seems to release limited editions! ..as the old C / D / J boxes are already OOP !!

It is very likely that the tamiya will build much better, I hope they cover all versions ! :)

Edited by Lucio P

19 hours ago, Lucio P said:

Not a good idea, tamiya has a distribution that ZM can dream of.. plus ZM seems to release limited editions! ..as the old C / D / J boxes are already OOP !!

It is very likely that the tamiya will build much better, I hope they cover all versions ! :)

I really do hope they do cover all version - I just don't expect them to. :)

And I wouldn't want people thinking that it is likely given Tamiya's prior release strategies.

Another factor is that Tamiya still sells the F-4C/D and F-4J in 1/32. Those kits are 25 years old, but still pretty nice. As an example, the presence of the 1/32 F-14A (currently sold in early 2000s configuration) is probably the reason that Tamiya released their 1/48 F-14A as an early model and then chose the D as the follow-on model.

Anyway, all conjecture and unpredictable.

-Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am obviously late to the party here. I’ve only just learned about this release but I, for one, am excited about it. I was very impressed with Tamiya’s F-14A, Spitfire Mk 1 and P-38 releases and this looks like it is in the same class. Whilst, to date, I’ve not had much of an inclination to build an F-4B, having a far greater interest in the C, E and EJ versions (thank you Zoukei Mura!), when I saw the test build images I immediately knew I would be adding this to the “buy” queue. So many good releases in the last few years, it’s a great time to be a scale modeller.

• Like 4

I was planning on going to 1/72...

But this and the F-14A by Tamiya mean I may be building some 1/48 for a while!

I have ordered the VF-161 McGuigan / Fowler decals from Print scale and have dusted a shelf ready.

Early Vietnam F-4B here we come!

On the price:

1980's Hasegawa Phantom F-4K/M: £30-£40

Big Ed set: £25

Alley Cat intakes: £15

Xtradecal stecils and markings: £16

Suddenly £90 for a kit which builds right out of the box doesn't seem so bad!

654603cd-404a-4797-a12e-717245edd14f.jpe

• Like 5

Around about now and going by past Tamiya release and considering the projected release estimate of the kit that came from?? who knows?

If it is as soon as that, then we should be seeing more details very soon, boxart comes early, then real plastic, or is that vice versa :)

I dunno ... I dont think we'll see the kit much earlier than mid to late summer ... some things are worth waiting for though.

What we do know ... well not actually know but can safely assume, for those they enjoy flawless kit construction and can appreciate the high fidelity construction ... flawless ... almost immaculate OOB kit construction, this kit will reach new heights of perfection.

I will enjoy building this kit so OOB I'll probably want at least one more.

Some things in life are worth paying a little extra for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IT_Man said:

I'm told that the UK Importer lists that is expected in UK in last week of June. Of course to buy from Far East will be sooner (maybe 4-6 weeks before that?)

Not with Tamiya - they usually go to great lengths in making sure world wide distribution is done first before they release new kits in Japan.

J

• Thanks 1

Tamiya's F-14s are stunning, their latest 109, Spitfire and P-38 too ... I think it goes without saying this new Phantom is going to be a joy an absolute joy to build ... and thats why I'm excited for this one :)

I envy the skilled modelers who have the patience and skill and can knock out perfection from truly evil fitting kits ... fair play, but me and lots of others will have fun building this new Phantom OOB with zero problems that would otherwise leave us with kits on the shelf of doom because the fun was drained trying to finish ... Heh

I'm sure you all know what I mean :)

Really looking fwd to this one.

• Like 8