1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Homebee

Tamiya is to release a new tool 1/48th McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II kit - ref. 61121

Sources: 

https://www.tamiya.com/japan/featuredreleases_early2021.html#Static

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/61121/index.htm

pack.jpg

Item: 61121   1/48 McDonnell Douglas™ F-4B Phantom II™

Famed Aircraft in Scale!

F-4Bs were the first Phantom II aircraft to see active service; powered by twin jet engines, they could carry significant ordnance and were used by the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps through the Vietnam War. Here is a triumphant entrance into the extensive 1/48 Aircraft Series for the Phantom II with this model.
*Images show prototype with panel lines accented.

*Transparent canopy parts are partly painted. 

Accurate depiction of the complex form is based on research of the actual aircraft. 

Outer wings can be assembled folded or extended, and right and left tailplane move in concert. 

Choose between open and closed canopy, and expanded or stored refueling probe and boarding ladder. 

★ F-4 Phantom II, a masterpiece jet fighter adopted by the US Navy and Air Force and used around the world. Among them, the first mass-produced Navy type F-4B will be added to the series. ★ Based on in-depth research, the exquisite outline and cross-sectional shape of the actual machine are accurately reproduced. ★ The canopy can be opened and closed, and the outer wing can be assembled by selecting the folded / unfolded state. The horizontal stabilizer moves in conjunction with the left and right. ★ Missiles and drop tanks are also available. ★ Set of 2 pilot dolls and 3 types of markings of Migkiller who participated in the Vietnam War.

61121-top.jpg

61121-1.jpg

61121-4.jpg

61121-3.jpg

61121-9.jpg

61121-7.jpg

61121-11.jpg

61121-14.jpg

61121-16.jpg

142946905-10157921544757874-380333682438

142351533-10157921544797874-643198770830

142433346-10157921544762874-128642214521

Price is not cool

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TA61121

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 12

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDD F-4B Phantom II (new tool) by Tamiya - test model - release 2021

Not particularly excited about this one.I'm sure it will probably be the best F-4B kit ever tooled,and ZM doesn't seem to be inclined to release their own F-4B. But then the price will kill it,at least for me. The price listed at Hannants and Jadlam is basically the same of some of Tamiya's 1/32 WWII fighters. Too much. For that price you can buy two of the Academy kits or one and almost all the aftermarket available for it. Even if the Tamiya kit has all the detail possible to tool,it still won't justify some 70€ more (here in Portugal Tamiya's F-14 kits cost around 100-110€) than the Academy kit.

• Like 2

Hopefully they will provide box art and markings for something other than the done to death, hoary old chestnut schemes of VF-84 and VF-111. At least it won’t be Showtime 100........

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Greg B said:

Hopefully they will provide box art and markings for something other than the done to death, hoary old chestnut schemes of VF-84 and VF-111. At least it won’t be Showtime 100........

If their F-14A markings are anything to go by,you can bet that VF-84 or VF-111,if not both,will be present in the box.

4 minutes ago, YK GOH said:

Hopefully, another opportunity for the markings of USN's first operational Phantom squadron, VF-74 on its first cruise, to be included.

If not, still waiting for the aftermarket.

Experts Choice 48-48 has the marking you are looking for.

12 minutes ago, dreamwriter said:

If their F-14A markings are anything to go by,you can bet that VF-84 or VF-111,if not both,will be present in the box.

Yeah I reckon thats a gimme. VF-51 has also been mentioned

37 minutes ago, dreamwriter said:

I'd bet money on that. I'm not bothered though as I have plenty of aftermarket decals for the F-4B/N .

45 minutes ago, Calum said:

Yeah I reckon thats a gimme. VF-51 has also been mentioned

Rather see an early and late USN set of schemes from any Sqn other than those three and a couple of USMC schemes ;) However, you are no doubt right ;)

2 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Great stuff, very pleased!

Looks like they did tool Mk.H7 seats though, like everyone else... Indicating do intend to do other types down the line, otherwise they'd have tooled an H5 seat.

J

If only there was an aftermarket source for the H5 seat........😄

Edited by Stephen
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

VMFA-531 is my favourite too but I prefer their original markings, some of the best looking ever applied to the B/N IMHO 😀

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1380167

Funnily enough, that’s also one of my favourite schemes. On the to do list as well as the VF-151 scheme:

3_155.jpg

• Like 1

Oh no, another short nose - canon lose - Phantom... I long awaited a "E"  from Academy, but what they released - "E" in 1/32. So only choice is still "XO" Hasegawa or expensive Zoukei-Mura...   Tamiya is Tamiya, but i think a twice higher price as Academy is twice better kit (and i have short nosed Phantoms in gorgeous Good Morning, Da Nang from Eduard with lot of resin and big decal sheet...)  I don´t understand a ignored of "E" version - widely used, still in active service, many attractive camos, with lot of kill markings, shark mouths etc... Israeli desert camo, Turkish  "Megalodon" mouth, and many "meets and anni" camos from Japan and Germany...

But Tamiya isn´t too cheap, 100GBP is...hmmm, very much for quarter scale Phantom...

And "J" P-38 still not....

Strange choice... Yup, Phantom is very popular, but only missile armed "B" is real attractive as "E" ? I don´t sure with it :( And with Tamiya strange politic, i can´t awaited a "E".... when they don´t release "J" P-38, why they released a "E" in quarter scale :( ?

Not funny :( Very sad.

• Like 2