1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Homebee

With this part breakdown, they can go from F-4B to F-4G,of course they won't, but they can.

But and a big but, two biggest EU Tamiya importers/distributors cite price very close to 100 euros, we had that conversation earlier, if it really comes close to that number

, simply- way too expensive.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

With this part breakdown, they can go from F-4B to F-4G,of course they won't, but they can.

But and a big but, two biggest EU Tamiya importers/distributors cite price very close to 100 euros, we had that conversation earlier, if it really comes close to that number

They must feel that they can charge that - they are a business after all. The market must be able to support. 

While we are still waiting for the F-16D, FAA Corsair etc they have really compromised the engineering  to give them options for more versions on this more than on others.

Edited by Scimitar F1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, misterblank said:

Oh well looks like I’ll have to buy one.  Not really my scale but too beautiful to ignore!

Best regards...Duncan

My thoughts too. Too beautiful to ignore. However, I m not sure if the kit will have just missiles. As Tamiya kits usually have good out of box weapons options. Also not clear which markings it will have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stalal said:

I m not sure if the kit will have just missiles. As Tamiya kits usually have good out of box weapons options. Also not clear which markings it will have. 

On the missile sprue there is a big gap to the left. My guess will be for bombs etc. on another version. 

Does this sound about right. ??   Put this version out. See how it sells. then 18 months down the line bring out version 2 (E, F, FJ. Etc.)  May be they are learning from other manufacturers in getting the most out of a set of moulds.

Tamiya = pleasure..... (modelling wise that is :lol:)           Yes you can tell I do like them..:tease:

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Like 1

What a perfect example of modern tool making , a beautiful kit , but as an unrepentant  builder of large scale model , I can't help wishing that this model was 32nd , , ah well  C'est La Vie ... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

It's worth the price.

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice that there are AIM-9L Sidewinders on the missile sprues? I've just checked and I believe that the sprue with the missiles is from the 1/48 F-14A/D kit without the AIM-54 Phoenix parts. 

Edited by Stephen

12 minutes ago, colin ritchie said:

What a perfect example of modern tool making , a beautiful kit , but as an unrepentant  builder of large scale model , I can't help wishing that this model was 32nd , , ah well  C'est La Vie ... 

Given that I tend to favor 1/32 scale now that I'm older, I have to agree with you. We probably won't see it, but it's nice to dream about.

28 minutes ago, Stephen said:

It's worth the price.

As they say, everyone is entitled to its own opinion, I would beg to differ, there is no objective reason for such price ( if true ),even if Tamiya used

slide moulding tech of 2021 ( they did not ), it would still be excessive, not only for what you get( size and quality ) but also compared to ZM and Academy,

judging from pics seen today again there is no such quality gap between mentioned and Tamiya, we will see...

3 hours ago, jenko said:

On the missile sprue there is a big gap to the left. My guess will be for bombs etc. on another version. 

Does this sound about right. ??   Put this version out. See how it sells. then 18 months down the line bring out version 2 (E, F, FJ. Etc.)  May be they are learning from other manufacturers in getting the most out of a set of moulds.

Tamiya = pleasure..... (modelling wise that is :lol:)           Yes you can tell I do like them..:tease:

Dick

Nope.

See here:

61121_1.jpg

61121_2.jpg

61121_3.jpg

You can see the whole sprue with Sparrows and Sidewinders.

The hidden part of the sprue is just other Sparrows (maybe other versions).

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

As they say, everyone is entitled to its own opinion, I would beg to differ, there is no objective reason for such price ( if true ),even if Tamiya used

slide moulding tech of 2021 ( they did not ), it would still be excessive, not only for what you get( size and quality ) but also compared to ZM and Academy,

judging from pics seen today again there is no such quality gap between mentioned and Tamiya, we will see...

I m currently building Academy F-4. And I m already missing Tamiya. Academy is a good kit. Its between Hasegawa and ZM in current market. By doubling the price to get ZM kit, you dont really add any value to what Academy kit offers.

However, Academy has some engineering challenges. Like Tamiya, its details are basic but what I miss is the perfect shape and quality of fit that Tamiya offers. 

17 minutes ago, plasticguy said:

Nope.

See here:

You can see the whole sprue with Sparrows and Sidewinders.

The hidden part of the sprue is just other Sparrows (maybe other versions).

It is a bit disappointing that on a £100 kit you have to source your own air to ground weapons.

15 hours ago, Homebee said:

Wow! Looks like a whole load of interesting engineering there that I can’t fathom as yet. Looking forward to seeing what the instructions show. Also glad they included one of my favourite schemes - VF51 CAG. 

It's a really curious engineering setup that I can't quite fathom. I see shades of their approach to their F-14 in the wing stubs but the rest of it seems to share similarities with the way Bandai engineered their Star Wars kits - lots of slots and tabs to make joins and alignment that much better. I'm a bit puzzled by the approach to the fuselage - why have one side split but the other side whole?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the approach to the fuselage - why have one side split but the other side whole?

I asked the same question a little time back and this was the reply I got on page 8

Hi,

Yes, I noticed that too. I guess that they plan to make an Air Force version that does not have the refueling probe on the starboard side.

That is probably another reason (apart from avoiding a seam in the middle) why the top of the spine is a separate part. They can then have a separate top of the spine part with the Air Force refueling receptacle.   

Looks great!

Cheers, Stefan.

HTH

Dick