1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Homebee

Its probably the sweet spot for the Phantom if you are planning a new kit. The B/N has for the best games in town the Hasegawa (nearly 40 year old molds (1982), raised panel lines and some minor fit issues together with lack of detail in the cockpit compared to modern toolings) or the Academy (Far nicer kit (2012) but with some nuances in build and fit. Lots and lots of marking options from probably the most colourful era of US Naval aviation after WWII.

ZM has sown up the non flat wing and slatted Phantoms with their lovely kit including the J/E/EJ and S.

I would have loved their 1:32 Phantoms to be re-tooled, or a UK Spey in 48/32, but this will do nicely.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I think of early F-4Bs and I think of VF-102 "Diamondbacks" aboard the USS Enterprise. Those were good looking markings.

It's the iconic Revell 1:72 F-4B boxart scheme, tattooed to my heart too 👍

• Like 1

Put an order into jadlam today. 

Now all I have to do is wait..........................and wait, and wait.

Dick

A very happy bunny.          Still waiting  :innocent:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keithjs said:

I was going to get some of those but I can't find an option on their website for sending to the UK do they not anymore or have I missed something?

@JeffreyK Is Mr Hypersonic. I think that Japan Post may not be shipping to the UK at the moment.

Generally Covid is causing updates on an almost minute-by-minute basis. I had a notification telling me stock was in, ordered it, then the country's Post office put the UK on the naughty list as I paypal'd the money. Very annoying.

48 minutes ago, Simon V said:

Phantoms have never done anything for me. I don't understand their appeal but I know I'm in the minority.

But £100? Ridiculous. 

Have you seen the prices of the ZM Phantom in the UK?

I don't think £100 is ridiculous if it's very good, but we will just have to wait and see if it is £50 better than the Academy kit.

1 hour ago, Greg B said:

I would have loved their 1:32 Phantoms to be re-tooled

Count me in on that! B/N, C/D, J/S E/F/G would be great. I'd especially like a B and a G. I worked on G's in Germany so I have a bit of a soft spot for them.

• Like 2

Huh, i now look a price (convert from GBT to CZK) and - it is a with few crowns a 3000 CZK. This is a incredible - and i hope a price is a mistake. 1/32 Phantom II from Tamiya cost 3299CZK (approx 115GBP). and Tomcat is near 2000CZK.  I really don´t know a quarter scale Phantom from Tamiya goes on shelf of this totaly out price tag...  it is still a quater scale and in this case you can have a 3x F-4 from Academy... And i don´t know a Tamiya offer was 3x better as Aca, especially Academy have often Cartograf and Tamiya their signature "fat decals". So it a great - 100GBP for kit, 20GBP for AM decals...Yup, yup. The price tak must be mistake - or Tamiya can test a loyality of customers ? I´m Tamiya fan a near 25 years, but 100GBP/3000CZK is CRAZY !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Are there any concrete hints to further F-4 variants as of yet? I ask because we are still waiting more than a decade for the F-16A/B/D which surely would also have solid sales figures, still don't understand that one. 

It's got H7 seats so unless the Tamiya R&D missed the H5 seats (unlikely given Tamiya's pool of expertise) this hints at other variants, as well as the (what looks like) slotted stabilators and inclusion of the trunnion reinforcement plate. All those of course could simply indicate late B's or N's (missing the ALQ-126 fairings though)...

J

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shaun said:

I would of hoped for an E, the early phantoms have been done by other companys or can be done from those kits.

The E is a far more interesting subject, with a great variety of schemes..

If you read on the Tamiya website the wording says this is the first of the Phantom family.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, roym said:

Dumb question. Is that an actual photo of an actual model or a render cgi thingy image?

If its a kit I'm impressed...

It’s the kit, if you look at the link in this thread to the Tamiya website you can see the glue seams in the images. Plus the clear sprue has the frames painted. CGI is cleaner that what you see in the images.

I am very excited about this release.

• Like 1

Given that this is a test shot, I believe it's fair to say we haven't seen the definitive model just yet. The ejection seats don't look like they represent what you'd find in a final version of a Tamiya kit. If I read the web page correctly, there will be three sets of markings, all Mig killers, for this kit. Phantom experts, what three squadrons had MiG killers while flying the F-4B?

Edited by SAT69
Not properly worded

17 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Looks great. I just hope they will do a lot of versions, especially some RF's.

Based on their form, I very much doubt we will see a lot of different versions.  Going off past performance, we may get a C/D or an N and that will be it. At the outside a J model.  IM basing this off 3 boxings being the most Tamiye ever offer of any of their releases. BY the same reasoning I dont think we will ever see an F-14B boxing

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Given that this is a test shot, I believe it's fair to say we haven't seen the definitive model just yet. The ejection seats don't look like they represent what you'd find in a final version of a Tamiya kit. If I read the web page correctly, there will be three sets of markings, all Mig killers, for this kit. Phantom experts, what three squadrons had MiG killers while flying the F-4B?

Tamiya have stated one of the options will be VF-51 which had the big stylized eagle along the fuselage, although if it was the CAG jet as done by the original hasegawa kit, I would be a very happy camper

Bruce

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

VF-21, 51, 96, 111, 114, 142, 161, 213 all got Mig kills, VF-96 was apparently the most successful with 10. There may be a few more as some stats just show the type rather than the specific model.

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

If you read on the Tamiya website the wording says this is the first of the Phantom family.

But not “the first release in Tamiya’s family of Phantom releases” or similar. 

Of course a new tooled Phantom is always welcome, but why they start with a ,,B,, ? They could earn more money with a C/D/E/F.

Hope they really release a complete family of the Phantom.

And why sooo expensive? Cant imagine the engineering of a Tamiya Phantom is much higher than a new Panzer IV in 1:35 by Takom, Meng or Rye Field what cost around 35,00€.

5 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Based on their form, I very much doubt we will see a lot of different versions.  Going off past performance, we may get a C/D or an N and that will be it. At the outside a J model.  IM basing this off 3 boxings being the most Tamiye ever offer of any of their releases. BY the same reasoning I dont think we will ever see an F-14B boxing

Bruce

I'm use to that from Tamiya, but it's getting a bit old. They always bring out great kits of s type but never very many versions. I'm just finishing up converting their P-47 to an N and I suspect that with their P-38 we will only see the F, H and J.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Of course a new tooled Phantom is always welcome, but why they start with a ,,B,, ? They could earn more money with a C/D/E/F.

Hope they really release a complete family of the Phantom.

And why sooo expensive? Cant imagine the engineering of a Tamiya Phantom is much higher than a new Panzer IV in 1:35 by Takom, Meng or Rye Field what cost around 35,00€.

Some model companies start out with a less popular version because sales are usually higher on initial release of a type no matter what version it is. Also ZM don't do a B which will also help sales.

Prices have been rising over the last few years, just compare it to other kits  Here in the UK the ZM is going for a similar price and the Tamiya F-14 retails at £90 so £100 is a bought right.

• Like 2