1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Homebee

Finally caved in and bought one, £83 delivered, cheapest I could find, but dont mind, quality demands a premium and everything I've read about this kit leads me to think its the best yet in injection moulded plastic, fidelity, engineering and fit wise that leads to big smiles on faces for today's modern world builder with limited time :)

Thats me I'm talking about by the way :)

Has there been any word on the after market stencil data sheet being released yet? Is it worth it does anyone think, or a stencil data sheet too far in this scale?

Am probably going to end up with two or three of these ... tell me please, used to own Hasegawa's Showtime 100 kit, could that be made from these Tamiya kits? are there after market decal sheets available for that Phantom?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, One 48 said:

...used to own Hasegawa's Showtime 100 kit, could that be made from these Tamiya kits? are there after market decal sheets available for that Phantom?

In a word, no. 'Showtime 100' was an F-4J, Tamiya's kit is an F-4B, which has a different wing, different exhausts and many smaller detail differences too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, One 48 said:

Finally caved in and bought one, £83 delivered, cheapest I could find, but dont mind, quality demands a premium and everything I've read about this kit leads me to think its the best yet in injection moulded plastic, fidelity, engineering and fit wise that leads to big smiles on faces for today's modern world builder with limited time :)

Thats me I'm talking about by the way :)

Has there been any word on the after market stencil data sheet being released yet? Is it worth it does anyone think, or a stencil data sheet too far in this scale?

Am probably going to end up with two or three of these ... tell me please, used to own Hasegawa's Showtime 100 kit, could that be made from these Tamiya kits? are there after market decal sheets available for that Phantom?

I bought 2 x stencil sets to go with the 2 kits I bought. TBH I think it's a bit of a stretch Tamiya selling this separate from the rest of the kit but I guess if you want it you pay it. At least it offers more than just 'stencils', including canopy seals and details for the engines too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

I bought 2 x stencil sets to go with the 2 kits I bought. TBH I think it's a bit of a stretch Tamiya selling this separate from the rest of the kit but I guess if you want it you pay it. At least it offers more than just 'stencils', including canopy seals and details for the engines too.

I personally bought it for the canopy seals. 

To be honest, I feel this was sold separately more to not intimidate the non-AMS typical modeler with 300 stencil decals.  Sure, it doesn't hurt if they make some extra money.  But that extra decal sheet couldn't have added much to the kit to include it and I can't see the sales being all that high compared to the kit itself.

• Like 1

From Japan the kit is £38.91, the extra decal sheet is £4.10, combined that is half the price of the cheapest UK retail price (£85.95 that I can find) for the kit alone.  Including postage the two items cost £79.73 so still a saving on UK prices plus essentially throwing the decal sheet in for free.

I've just purchased the above, with the Tamiya Tomcat, for a total with shipping of £120 which is crazily cheap compared to UK prices.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 71chally said:

From Japan the kit is £38.91, the extra decal sheet is £4.10, combined that is half the price of the cheapest UK retail price (£85.95 that I can find) for the kit alone.  Including postage the two items cost £79.73 so still a saving on UK prices plus essentially throwing the decal sheet in for free.

I've just purchased the above, with the Tamiya Tomcat, for a total with shipping of £120 which is crazily cheap compared to UK prices.

Now all you need to do is add the vat and royal mail charge when it arrives

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, colin said:

Now all you need to do is add the vat and royal mail charge when it arrives

I've never had that from Japanese purchases (of which I've had many), I  think due to a UK/Japan trade agreement that it doesn't exist below a certain value anyway.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I've never had that from Japanese purchases (of which I've had many), I  think due to a UK/Japan trade agreement that it doesn't exist below a certain value anyway.

I'm afraid your in for a shock now, since Brexit anything coming in is checked now, more so than before and vat added plus who ever delivers it charge for collecting the vat for HMRC

The below £15 excemption of vat has also been scraped, as yours is under £135 you won't have to pay customs duty just the vat so that's one plus point

I also used to get a lot from HLJ and would workout the cost plus vat and if it still came out a lot cheaper I'd go for it, bonus if it didn't get caught for vat too

Unfortunately the postage costs from Japan have shot up that I no longer take the chance of it coming in under the radar with getting caught with the charges as well as it seldom if never does now.

No need to filter out the European side now since Brexit, everything that comes in is plus VAT unless a sticker on the item says VAT paid already

I hope it works out for you, some used to slip through the net, but since Brexit .. if anything ... the extra charges are dearer than before I've found and nothing seems to slip through any more, but at the very least you have 2 fantastic kits arriving and shouldn't be any more than if they were bought in UK.

38 minutes ago, colin said:

I'm afraid your in for a shock now, since Brexit anything coming in is checked now, more so than before and vat added plus who ever delivers it charge for collecting the vat for HMRC

The below £15 excemption of vat has also been scraped, as yours is under £135 you won't have to pay customs duty just the vat so that's one plus point

I also used to get a lot from HLJ and would workout the cost plus vat and if it still came out a lot cheaper I'd go for it, bonus if it didn't get caught for vat too

Unfortunately the postage costs from Japan have shot up that I no longer take the chance of it coming in under the radar with getting caught with the charges as well as it seldom if never does now.

No need to filter out the European side now since Brexit, everything that comes in is plus VAT unless a sticker on the item says VAT paid already

Got mine from Japan with no extra charges, just checked and I paid VAT at their end so nothing to pay here. Postage was quite a bit more than it used to be but still a substantial saving over UK RRP. Which I naturally spent in my LMS :) Delivery was glacially slow though - my pre-order came after a couple of people had already nearly finished their builds.

Andy

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Got mine from Japan with no extra charges, just checked and I paid VAT at their end so nothing to pay here. Postage was quite a bit more than it used to be but still a substantial saving over UK RRP. Which I naturally spent in my LMS :) Delivery was glacially slow though - my pre-order came after a couple of people had already nearly finished their builds.

Andy

You pays your money and takes your chance, if their registered to collect the vat and the postage sticker says vat paid no problem this end.

Looks like you may have done surface postage, last time I looked on HLJ for a kit the size of the Phantom one it was £39 air mail, then £49 for the kit, which wipes out the savings

Although might be more chance of it going under the radar with surface mail

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Andy

I bought a Freedom Model Kits 1/48 AT-3 in July from HLJ. Ordered it on the Sunday; arrived at my UK address on the following Thursday (i.e. four days later). Postage was £15 (kit was £35).

I intended to get a Tamiya Tomcat from them soon...but I've seen the shipping for that is pretty horrendous, so maybe I'll wait :)

Jon

Edited by Jon Bryon

16 hours ago, colin said:

I'm afraid your in for a shock now...

I won't be shocked, at the most the extra I'm possibly going to pay on my £120 order is another £24 in VAT.

The same items from within the UK would cost me just over £180 (£192 from big H).

I'm not recommending the idea as such, but I am a tight wad by necessity so if I can save that sort of money then I must try. 

It does seem better to buy at least a couple of kits at a time as it doesn't affect the shipping cost that much, in fact the £36.89 air mail didn't change when I added the Tomcat kit to the Phantom kit order.  I've also found the delivery to be pretty quick.

The UK/Japan trade agreement has little to do with Brexit that I can see, other than it appears to have been set up at roughly the same time, but provides a favourable deal between the two nations that might not exist with some European nations anymore.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

On 8/13/2021 at 3:28 PM, Homebee said:

- ref. K48144 - F-4 Trailing Edge Flaps Set 

Of course that set can't really do without this set  :hmmm:... unless you cut, detail, and lower the Tamiya leading edge flaps ... which is much harder than releasing the trailing edge flaps. 

product_40420025_2.jpg

Gene K

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Aerocraft Models McDonnel F-4B Phnatom III alternate resin front screen

Source: https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/mcdonnell-phantom-f-4b-alternate-front-screen-for-tamiya

This an alternate front screen to be used on the new Tamiya kit. Jennings Heilig has pointed out to me that although the screen variant in the kit was used, it was only on later aircraft after 1980, and was also then just in small numbers.
With that in mind I have carefully amended the kit canopy and recast it, as it is offered here. From the pictures you will see the area that has been removed, shown on actual aircraft and marked in black on the one kit part.
Note the casting block and the side flash are easily removed, and the part will just drop in.

3-F660270-9-A9-B-4245-B111-896-A831-EC38

AADA0225-E464-4-BF7-8-DA2-2-EB679-A67-E0

A0-DE7-DAA-DFB8-4-B59-8730-BD32-D62-B61-

V.P.

• Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Blackdog dedicated detailing sets for the Tamiya Phantom F-4B

- ref. A48142 - Phantom F4B electronics

Source: https://blackdog.cz/a48142-1-48-phantom-f4b-electronics/

a48142-1-48-phantom-f4b-electronics-8-jp
a48142-1-48-phantom-f4b-electronics-9-jp

- ref. A48143 - Phantom F4B spine

Source: https://blackdog.cz/a48143-1-48-phantom-f4b-spine/

a48143-1-48-phantom-f4b-spine-5-jpg-big.
a48143-1-48-phantom-f4b-spine-6-jpg-big.

- ref. A48144 - Phantom F4B engine

Source: https://blackdog.cz/a48144-1-48-phantom-f4b-engine/

a48144-1-48-phantom-f4b-engine-4-jpg-big
a48144-1-48-phantom-f4b-engine-5-jpg-big

- ref. A48145 - Phantom F4B big set

Source: https://blackdog.cz/a48145-1-48-phantom-f4b-big-set/

a48145-1-48-phantom-f4b-big-set-17-jpg-b

V.P.

• Like 2