1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Homebee

3 hours ago, Greg B said:

Well, 2 on order and Furball are doing a very nice USMC sheet with the Ark Royal zapped F-4B in before and after guises. So that’s me happy.

Fündekals also have that very same jet on their latest sheet. Just a shame their website is currently down. But I think you can order through Hobby Zone and Victory Models.

J

I should be very wary of ordering from one of the Hong Kong stores previously mentioned.  They will take your money and potentially sit on it for many months, even for over a year before the kit is sent.  I speak from experience of a modeller in Hong Kong who has used both stores many times.  The other company are far more helpful and only charge your credit card once they actually have the model in stock.  I’m not prepared to say which is which as I might attract trouble in these sad days of litigation, sorry!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 7:48 PM, Scooby said:

One of the Tamiya USA guys at ARC says he has got some inside information on the kit and that it is going to be better than the F-14s. He didn’t elaborate.

That's shameful bragging on ARC by an insider that says nothing except, "Look at me".  :doh:

Gene K

• Like 4

On 2/16/2021 at 6:29 AM, feifeitim said:

I should be very wary of ordering from one of the Hong Kong stores previously mentioned.  ...   I’m not prepared to say which is which as I might attract trouble in these sad days of litigation, sorry!

So how is your post useful to us out here trying to decipher your warning? Let's see: this thread mentions Hong Kong's Hobbyeasy and Lucky Model, and  being in Hong Kong, you evidently didn't get good service from one of those two ...  hmmmmmmmm? :hmmm: Hopefully it was a one time occurance for you.

I have to say that I've received great service over the years from both of those shops, in particular Lucky Model ... so I didn't hesitate to pre-order the Tamiya Phantom from Hobbyeasy. 

Gene

• Like 5

On 2/16/2021 at 12:29 PM, feifeitim said:

is

On 2/16/2021 at 12:29 PM, feifeitim said:

I should be very wary of ordering from one of the Hong Kong stores

Never once have I had a problem with Luckymodel in the 14 years I have used them. Just received the new Meng Superhornet.

• Like 7

On 2/18/2021 at 1:33 AM, Gene K said:

So how is your post useful to us out here trying to decipher your warning? Let's see: this thread mentions Hong Kong's Hobbyeasy and Lucky Model, and  being in Hong Kong, you evidently didn't get good service from one of those two ...  hmmmmmmmm? :hmmm: Hopefully it was a one time occurance for you.

I have to say that I've received great service over the years from both of those shops, in particular Lucky Model ... so I didn't hesitate to pre-order the Tamiya Phantom from Hobbyeasy. 

Gene

I hear what you say, but I potentially open myself up to litigation if I diss a company on a forum. I am happy to discuss privately.

Unfortunately, my experience was not limited to one occasion, it was multiple times and living here, the options of buying the slightly more esoteric are limited unless the desire to pay huge amounts for postage is over looked. if an item is in stock then it is sent immediately as one would hope. If it is not and they say one can order, then the experience is completely different and has been for me on many occasions. I for one, do not like paying large sums of money up front to then hear nothing for what on 2 occasions has been over a year, with no attempt to contact me. 

Anyway, enough said and I’m glad others’ experiences have been better than mine. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, IT_Man said:

Looks like Tamiya will be selling an alternative Decal Set for this one "12692 F-4 Phantom II Decals Set A".

I'm not familiar with most of Tamiya's releases, but do they release many alternate decals sets? This is interesting for me.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2021 at 11:15, IT_Man said:

Looks like Tamiya will be selling an alternative Decal Set for this one "12692 F-4 Phantom II Decals Set A".

Unclear what aircraft are included yet

Hi IT_Man, don't doubt what you say, but could you provide a link please for that rumour? I've searched and searched and cant find it, or anything new on this amazing looking kit that we don't know already at this time of writing !

Tamiya did indeed release a separate decal sheet for their 1/72 Hien for the peculiar camo pattern as you say ... NOT alternative markings, they never did this for the 1/48 version in same markings and camo though ... go figure? The 1/72 Hien was silver plated and camo decals for that scale would be easier is my guess on silver plating?

Again, not doubting you, does seem odd for Tamiya to do though. They often produce some sort of add-on physical parts for many of their kits though and would not be surprised to see that for their Phantom.

Decal wise, 99.9% Tamiya seem happy to let A/M companys produce alternative markings for their kits ... unless its a future white box option like they did with the P-38 in 1/48?

The suspense is tangible now :)

Cant wait for this kit, always loved Phantoms :)

Thanks IT_Man, very interesting, does indeed look like a web page place holder for something to be announced soon ... Thanks again mate.

Most Tamiya 1/48 kit numbers start with a logical  61xxx numbering format with their Storch being 61100 as my memory serves me? ... their famous 100th 1/48 kit?

Looking at Tamiya part number legacy, the proposed Tamiya 1/48 Phantom decal sheet number is 12692, the older add on for a Tamiya 1/48 scale kit with a 12xxx series designation is 12621 is for their F-16 and that's physical hardware stuff like brass, etch ETC

Wonder what Tamiya parts were between 12621 and 12692 were?

LOL, so much for my attempts at solving the Tamiya Da Vinci code?   I'm sure they play with us and laugh at these posts, fair play if they do, love a laugh as well :) They teased us well with the early images of the P-38 that IMHO were deliberately leaked ... it all adds to the aura and anticipation of this release ... bucking up my early plan from one kit to two now ... we only live once and I'm not getting any younger!

Two Tamiya 1/48 Phantom II's or bust :)

Edited by One 48

On 2/25/2021 at 11:51 PM, One 48 said:

Wonder what Tamiya parts were between 12621 and 12692 were?

The 126xx numbers from Tamiya are their Detail Up Parts series. I could do a full list of those 70 items, but the only aircraft one was 12624 1/48 Mitsubishi Zero Detail Up Parts Set (etched seatbelts, etched and wire chocks and turned brass gun barrels). There are a lot of front forks for 1/12 scale motorbikes, self-adhesive sheets of zimmerit for German tanks, seatbelts, carbon fibre decals and photoetch for 1/20 and 1/24 scale cars, and photoetch for 1/350 scale ships on the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDD F-4B Phantom II (new tool) by Tamiya - test model+sprues - release 2021
8 minutes ago, Scimitar F1 said:

That is very modular indeed - looks like a Phantom family is on the way. 

Let's hope so, but that's no guarantee with Tamiya, like with their F-16 and their 1/72 P-47 which was tooled (and made more complex) to allow for later versions but they never appeared.

I do hope this this appears in 1/72 though as I'm not sure how far Fine Molds are going to go with their series and Tamiya are kits are much more available.

• Like 1

Interesting that the starboard (right) side of the fuselage is in 2 parts whist the Port (left) side is in one piece.  Any ideas???

Dick

37 minutes ago, jenko said:

Interesting that the starboard (right) side of the fuselage is in 2 parts whist the Port (left) side is in one piece.  Any ideas???

Dick

Hi,

Yes, I noticed that too. I guess that they plan to make an Air Force version that does not have the refueling probe on the starboard side.

That is probably another reason (apart from avoiding a seam in the middle) why the top of the spine is a separate part. They can then have a separate top of the spine part with the Air Force refueling receptacle.   

Looks great!

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 3

Interesting that the leading edge of the vertical tail fin are in two separate parts, again this would point to a long nosed F-4 with only one probe on the tail leading edge but as with so many of Tamiya's releases, the option for other variants is obviously planned but does not seem to happen.  Back to the Phantom, the ejection seats are Mark 7, so to make an early F-4B you will need a pair of Mark 5 seats, I bought some excellent ones from Hypersonic Models to backdate my Academy F-4B, I hope you are well stocked @JeffreyK:like:

• Like 2