1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Homebee

What will be interesting will be a direct comparison with the Zoukie-mura range of Phantoms at what is roughly a similar price. 

Dick

• Like 1

Very interesting video, many thanks.

We've figured out what decal options are included in the first release eventually: VF-51; VF-111; VF-161!

Edited by MARTEN75
  • Like 1

^^^^ you can still see the carrier  film on the stencil decals. TRHS.   :banghead:

Bet they use a 45 gallon drum of Microsol...:whistle:

Dick

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jenko said:

What will be interesting will be a direct comparison with the Zoukie-mura range of Phantoms at what is roughly a similar price. 

Dick

On ease of build, Tamiya for the win.

As we expect from Tamiya the engineering on this kit does looks impressive.

It's going to be hard to resist buying one, but if if find out they are not doing a 1/72nd scale version then I might have to 😉

https://www.facebook.com/groups/816059131882668/permalink/1845685928919978/

164807555_3817388388377291_7616111256685

165067937_3817388208377309_9061963096813

164550746_3817388485043948_3745990197985

164498117_3817388598377270_4141758633518

164438245_3817396345043162_3791400455694

164968313_3817388845043912_8846297106841

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Leaving no stoned unturned, I never realized the differences of the access panel/panel lines between the short nose variants of the Phantom F-4B/C/D/J. Thank you Tamiya for the all the in depth research for your release.

• Like 3

One of the "optional" panels on the right side of the nose would be this. The circular panel above the airconditioning inlet scoop appears only on C, very early D and J. The same area on a display N.

9Yc8nOR.jpg

enYAhAs.jpg

• Like 3

From what I've seen so far I don't regret preordering two of these kits!:banghead::drink:

The kit decal options are very nice, but I'm hoping to find some other schemes. The tail fin cap variations may be addressed by Quickboost in the same manner that they make different chin pods and gun vents for Tamiya's F-14A.

Come on Tamiya! Wake up and make more than one version of the Phantom! :dog:

1323642517223.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Masinissa said:

From what I've seen so far I don't regret preordering two of these kits!:banghead::drink:

The kit decal options are very nice, but I'm hoping to find some other schemes. The tail fin cap variations may be addressed by Quickboost in the same manner that they make different chin pods and gun vents for Tamiya's F-14A.

Come on Tamiya! Wake up and make more than one version of the Phantom! :dog:

1323642517223.gif

I'm hoping they do VF-111 CAG as well as Vf-51. That'll be the two most colourful schemes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

I'm hoping they do VF-111 CAG as well as Vf-51. That'll be the two most colourful schemes.

So, I've now had a chance to take a closer look at the video above (couldn't in the week as my eyes weren't working well) and have made a number of observations on what might be possible with this kit, based on my own preferences at least.

First, as mentioned by MARTEN75 above, the three schemes that are evident are VF-51 CAG, VF-161 CAG (but minus the coloured stripes on the tail that appear on the N) and VF-111 but the non-CAG bird from what I can barely make out in respect to the image and numbering (but could obviously be wrong). If either is the case, it would barely warrant the description of a 'disappointment' since the latter is easily rectified by slicing out the fifth ray band on the 'tail' decal and replacing with the rainbow version from the Academy kit, assuming there is sufficient alignment. Or, if the overall size and fit is right, just swap for the Academy decals (or AM) in their entirety. Similar with the VF-161, though with the need to make modifications to turn it into an 'N' which I 'hope' my copious spares box would allow for. Either way, they have provided for three of the most colourful birds they could have done for this kit so hats off to Tamiya.

Second, I like 'optionality' for my kits these days - the ability to change the configuration and remove/add parts as needed - wheels up/down, breaks open/closed, wings up/down, etc. - both to let me change the way it is displayed to suit my mood (and display space) and even more importantly, to help stop breakages and loss during one of my frequent moves. After trial and error (...and error... and error...) I eventually got the 'detachable weapons' issue sorted for my kits through careful use of tiny neodymium magnets, and developed an approach to manage undercarriage and landing gear which should translate to this kit. But the engineering of this kit offers some interesting alternatives in respect to the wing-fold, flaps and refueling probe. For other kits, I handled the first by trying to replicate, with small and quite fragile 3D parts, the wing folding mechanism. It works but can be quite delicate depending on how its done. In this case it seems that careful removal of the 'stubs' and the embedding of magnets into main upper wing parts and then embedding opposing magnets into the corresponding point on parts C 17-19 might allow 'hot-swapping' between up and down configurations and in a way that wouldn't result in damage if jolted. It just requires care in where you store the different parts. Similar for the flaps - removing the stubs on parts A 6-9 and again using magnets against their opposite number within the right parts in what 'appear' to make up almost flap 'sleeves'? Not sure it's any more practical than simply moveable flaps but its different. Then there's the refueling probe. For my current Academy F-4J build to address the optionality I went as far as fabricating an extending probe that can fold back into the fuselage but it has been a nightmare that I would not want to repeat. With this kit I think just having a magnet on the door that corresponds to the enclosure and the boom and one connecting the boom to the enclosure will allow for hot-swapping between configurations. Lastly is the canopy. Although it doesn't offer actual movable 'hinges', parts C 17 and 19 in particular might provide for some interesting 'possibilities' to allow for open/closed on demand, while a detachable ladder seems to be a doozey.

Other nice features for me are the spine area that provides for a much easier and cleaner approach to reusing one of my Black Dog sets if I so desire, and the multi-part approach to the engine nozzles which makes it a lot easier (for me at least) to really get to the insides for detailing. And if someone went as far as producing an AM AN/APQ-72 then that could really light things up for me. As others have already mentioned, a decent bomb load would have been welcome but I have so many donor parts in the stash that doesn't present much of a problem.

I've never had a VF-161 bird before but really like the look while VF-111 and VF-51 have been favourites since I was a kid. 2021 was meant to be the year of 'not' buying any more kits but given what I'm getting I think I can justify my purchases on the basis that I am simply swapping out better kits for lesser kits (my opinion of course) of the same so not 'really...' increasing the stash. As such I'm afraid I'm going to have to go for 'three' of these now. 😮

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I might be wrong but I think the VF-111 option is 201, the Mig killer without the rainbow tail. This would be awesome by the way!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stalal said:

Another white box review 

Shame they can't seem to find a knowledgeable Phantom person to shed some light on to what the previewer is actually looking at. Or someone who knows a slat from a slot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

Shame they can't seem to find a knowledgeable Phantom person to shed some light on to what the previewer is actually looking at. Or someone who knows a slat from a slot.

It could just be an honest review of what he found in the box as a modeler/retailer. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

Shame they can't seem to find a knowledgeable Phantom person to shed some light on to what the previewer is actually looking at. 

So, so true!!!

From Tamiya USA: Coming in late June.

EyuWsI9VcAI8v_5?format=jpg&name=large

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 7

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDD F-4B Phantom II (new tool) by Tamiya - test model+sprues+box art - release May 2021

What exactly does the detail up part consist of, at first I thought it looked like decals, but I see canopy masking on the sheet too, that's not done with decals? also thought Tamiya released kits with their own non die cut canopy masking as stock on all recent 1/32 and 1/48?

Not complaining, I cant have this kit soon enough! Just curious :) Oh, and late June, just in time for my Birthday in early July!

Edited by One 48
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, One 48 said:

What exactly does the detail up part consist of, at first I thought it looked like decals, but I see canopy masking on the sheet too, that's not done with decals? also thought Tamiya released kits with their own non die cut canopy masking as stock on all recent 1/32 and 1/48?

Not complaining, I cant have this kit soon enough! Just curious :) Oh, and late June, just in time for my Birthday in early July!

Not canopy masks by the looks of things but canopy sealant decals.

• Like 1

What are canopy sealant decals Greg, honestly have not heard of this new tech ... what sorcery do you speak off ? :)

Honestly pal, its new to me  👍

Thanks Boman, where did you see that? amazing tech if done right I suppose, and always an option too I guess as an addition, would prefer to see it in application before I buy such an add on though, its all news to me!

Thanks.