1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Homebee

If I'm thinking back correctly to fighter aircraft of that time, the yellow border was part of the actual windscreen/canopy and not a seal. Depending on the aircraft design some came from the supplier with holes pre-drilled while some needed the drilling done for the fasteners during installation. Again as per each aircrafts design and technical specs maybe only a thin bead of sealant would have been added after the clear sections and framing were bolted in place.

2 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

Some may find this review entertaining, an actual build by an airplane guy. Although in French.

Great - thanks. English Closed Captioning works well.

Absolutely stunning. So I wonder when the C/D model will be coming out? In the meantime, I will be examining what parts of the Academy C model I graft ...  :hmmm:

Gene K

For those not familiar with YouTube CC (Closed Captioning): Turn on by clicking CC on bottom right of the video, then click settings icon (gear), then arrow to the right of French (auto generated), then Auto-generate, and finally select language of choice.

Edited by Gene K

51 minutes ago, Gene K said:

For those not familiar with YouTube CC (Closed Captioning): Turn on by clicking CC on bottom right of the video, then click settings icon (gear), then arrow to the right of French (auto generated), then Auto-generate, and finally select language of choice.

The English CC 'translation' is a riot, the video's worth watching for that alone!

47 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

Still looking great this. Would really like to know more about what the 'detail set' comprises of.

16 minute part of this video. He also shows the decal and marking scheme instructions

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

.........the other decals appear to be similar to the data stencils usually included with other kits e.g. Academy?

The extra decals in the add on sheet appear to be all the individual numbered panel information 5L 5R blah blah blah that is rarely included in any kits. The basics NO STEP, NO PUSH and WARNINGS are in the kit supplied sheet 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, stalal said:

Does this mean it has already been released? Dont see it in on Japanese online stores yet. 

No, not released yet indicated by the white box (and by the commentary if you have a translation) this is an early "preview" kit issued by Tamiya to selected individuals. There are other "reviews" out there (like the one on the previous page of this thread (!)), but this latest is the most comprehensive I've seen. 

June release has been indicated by Tamiya.

Gene K

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, baldwin8 said:

The extra decals in the add on sheet appear to be all the individual numbered panel information 5L 5R blah blah blah that is rarely included in any kits. The basics NO STEP, NO PUSH and WARNINGS are in the kit supplied sheet 

They used to say you can't see the wood for the trees...... this will be more like ........ you can't see the kit for the stencils.  Oh.... the shear fun of putting all that lot on.  :banghead:

Dick

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jenko said:

Oh.... the shear fun of putting all that lot on.

Perhaps my favourite part of modelling and much quicker since I started using a mug warmer for my decal water. The stencil data changed on many aircraft, often after repainting only the panel numbers being applied as in the second photo.

Kpa3WKx.jpg

eeMFUKy.jpg?1

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDD F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - test model+sprues+box art - release May 2021

You never really notice stencils on a casual viewing of a real aircraft and I've seen Phantoms up close in real life. In 1/72 and 1/48 they can stick out like a sore thumb for some reason but on 1/32 upwards seem to blend in fine? in my experience.

Might skip tiny stencils for this kit especially on a white or light grey camo, but if anyone can do them right, Tamiya can, we'll see? We all model to different standards and fair play too 🧐 We'll see indeed!

The French video link Baldwin posted ... OMG, the fit of parts looks immensely good, really enjoy that with recent state of the art Tamiya kits, its sort of appreciating good moulding technology and engineering as much as saving time with filler, sanding and re-scribing ... call me lazy if you like, but I'm honest, heh, have a massive stash and the easier the build that is pleasurable in fit to me, the sooner I can get on to the next one :)

Edited by One 48
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

Ahhhh.....!

2 hours ago, One 48 said:

You never really notice stencils on a casual viewing of a real aircraft and I've seen Phantoms up close in real life. In 1/72 and 1/48 they can stick out like a sore thumb for some reason but on 1/32 upwards seem to blend in fine? in my experience.

Might skip tiny stencils for this kit especially on a white or light grey camo, but if anyone can do them right, Tamiya can, we'll see? We all model to different standards and fair play too 🧐 We'll see indeed!

The French video link Baldwin posted ... OMG, the fit of parts looks immensely good, really enjoy that with recent state of the art Tamiya kits, its sort of appreciating good moulding technology and engineering as much as saving time with filler, sanding and re-scribing ... call me lazy if you like, but I'm honest, heh, have a massive stash and the easier the build that is pleasurable in fit to me, the sooner I can get on to the next one :)

Totally agree!

I’m a model maker not a ‘plastic’ surgeon! 😬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2021 at 6:01 AM, Nocoolname said:

Is my understanding correct of the first video above, in that Tamiya have actually molded in clear elements within the grey plastic such as for the Splitter Plate Flooding Door?

I don't think so... the clear parts (SprueJ):

JAt47Pe.png

are inserts, for example here are 2 of the J1 parts (fuselage lights) inserted under the intakes:

a9rEpZH.jpg

and here is J2 (refueling probe light) that is inserted into the right fuselage half.

ldFrZxq.jpg

Gene K

P.S. What is "the Splitter Plate Flooding Door"?

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDD F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - test model+sprues+box art+schemes+decals - release May 2021
  • 1 month later...