1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Homebee

2 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

It's a really curious engineering setup that I can't quite fathom. I see shades of their approach to their F-14 in the wing stubs but the rest of it seems to share similarities with the way Bandai engineered their Star Wars kits - lots of slots and tabs to make joins and alignment that much better. I'm a bit puzzled by the approach to the fuselage - why have one side split but the other side whole?

Differences for USN and Air Force Phantoms are the IFR probe and a panel that stays nearby the radome slightly above the small intakes, there is also this https://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-evolution-of-door-19-on-f-4.html and there it was something related to some panels, rivets and dielectric stuff on tail which seems to be gone from their blog but some images can be found here

https://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/p/sanders-analq-51-51a-100.html

https://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/p/usn-ew-equipment.html

https://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/p/anale-29.html

Check rivets on the upper area, also there it was a rectangle panel and the bottom that doesn't appear and I'm wondering if it was explained on tailhook blog or on some pdf I found around the net

Luigi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2021 at 2:29 PM, Thomas V. said:

... but also compared to ZM and Academy, judging from pics seen today again there is no such quality gap between mentioned and Tamiya, we will see...

Including Academy in your assessment is hilarious.  :giggle:

Academy comes nowhere close to ZM ... and I am confident that Tamiya, being Tamiya, will be even better than the outstanding ZM Phantoms ... that we will see.

Gene K

On 3/9/2021 at 1:23 PM, IT_Man said:

It's a surprise that they've not looked at the F-4 EJ with the retirement of the last ones in JASDF. Plenty of interesting schemes to choose from too!

Are you not aware of the outstanding Zukei-Mura F-4EJKai kit ...  in this commemorative retirement scheme??

1314093-10105-42-1440.jpg

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 2

Being an F4, both Tamiya AND Z-M will be able to cash in all day on these kits. I have 4 of the Z-M ones and they will take some beating but if anyone can, then it will be Tamiya of course.

Look forward to seeing the kit when it is on sale.........now if they would only up the scale to 1/32 !

Gary

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gene K said:

Are you not aware of the outstanding Zoukei-Mura F-4EJKai kit ...  in this commemorative retirement scheme??

Gene K

The ZM F-4EJ Kai is, I'm sure, a really nice kit, but it was only a limited edition so if (like me) you haven't managed to get one by now then you're not going to. According to a recent newsletter that I saw somewhere from the guy who's in charge at ZM there will be another boxing of the F-4EJ Kai, but that'll be a limited edition too. There would therefore appear to be room for someone else to do one too?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hopkp said:

The ZM F-4EJ Kai is, I'm sure, a really nice kit, but it was only a limited edition so if (like me) you haven't managed to get one by now then you're not going to. According to a recent newsletter that I saw somewhere from the guy who's in charge at ZM there will be another boxing of the F-4EJ Kai, but that'll be a limited edition too. There would therefore appear to be room for someone else to do one too?

Spruebrothers just posted today that they are taking preorders for this kit, so you still have a chance if you want one.

https://spruebrothers.com/zkmk30214-1-48-zoukei-mura-f-4ej-kai-phantom-ii-phantom-forever-2020/

oops, I just noticed that they aren’t shipping to the UK, so if you are in the UK I apologize.

Edited by Corey in Colorado

I can only see one type of tail fin tip with the ecm bits on the leading edge of the vertical fin on the sprue shots. Anyone see one without ?

Regards

Robert

The chance to do what I’ve really wanted to for a 1/48 F-4 in the easy way that Tamiya seems to have allowed for is why I’m likey to get at least two of these and start them quite quickly. 

Aside from my Vandy WIP I’ll likely sell my unstarted Academy kits and use what’s left as a test-bed for ideas. As the years have gone on I’ve learned to appreciate simplicity over detail and complexity but Tamiya seems to have found a way to bridge both.

One thing I am curious about from reading the review at The Modelling News site was the mention that ‘...the canopy can be opened and closed...’ I assume they mean that there are options to having it displayed in ‘either’ the opened or closed position rather than having actual hinged parts that allow at a mechanical level the canopy to be opened and closed at will?

• Like 1

Very excited about this new tool Phantom from Tamiya, big news indeed and the impact of it is still to be known in the modelling world ... it will sell like hot cakes, trust me, it really will.

Get your orders in now Gents, I have two.

We only live once :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

One thing I am curious about from reading the review at The Modelling News site was the mention that ‘...the canopy can be opened and closed...’ I assume they mean that there are options to having it displayed in ‘either’ the opened or closed position rather than having actual hinged parts that allow at a mechanical level the canopy to be opened and closed at will?

Yes, am sure that's what they mean mate ... pretty sure Tamiya have never offered moving parts on Aircraft kits apart from maybe their 1/32 Zero undercarriage, and that was more a tech demo of what they can do, Japanese subject pride an all.

Optional canopy's in kits open or closed are fine with me ... one sprue with this new Tamiya F4 shot shows a complete cast closed Phantom canopy, from back end and Nav seat to Pilot and front canopy too as one part, the whole thing ... its good to have options and Tamiya, bless em, always provide options :)  We can all knock out an OOB kit that is slightly different from others ... very, very clever company indeed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Yes, am sure that's what they mean mate ... pretty sure Tamiya have never offered moving parts on Aircraft kits apart from maybe their 1/32 Zero undercarriage, and that was more a tech demo of what they can do, Japanese subject pride an all.

Optional canopy's in kits open or closed are fine with me ... one sprue with this new Tamiya F4 shot shows a complete cast closed Phantom canopy, from back end and Nav seat to Pilot and front canopy too as one part, the whole thing ... its good to have options and Tamiya, bless em, always provide options :)  We can all knock out an OOB kit that is slightly different from others ... very, very clever company indeed.

I like the 'slots' approach to the wings. Looks very similar to the Meng F/A-18E and gives me the ability to 'switch-out' folded-up and down configurations. That said, I could really do with a look at their instructions to get an idea of their thinking and what possibilities might be available.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Very excited about this new tool Phantom from Tamiya, big news indeed and the impact of it is still to be known in the modelling world ... it will sell like hot cakes, trust me, it really will.

Get your orders in now Gents, I have two.

We only live once :)

I might wait for their probable next release which will include weapons in addition to missiles. This one is a MiG CAP version. It will only have missiles. I said probable because its Tamiya. They may or may not even issue next version. Nonetheless, I m still looking forward to this release. 

Edited by stalal
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stalal said:

I might wait for their probable next release which will include weapons in addition to missiles. This one is a MiG CAP version. It will only have missiles. I said probable because its Tamiya. They may or may not even issue next version. Nonetheless, I m still looking forward to its release. 

I wish they would double up on releases mate, they gear up for them on many releases and never follow through ... argh, LOL

We've all been double guessing Tamiya logic on this for decades, no 1/32 F16 D's or in 1/48 either and lots more ... I think they just like to tease us and wind us up :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, One 48 said:

I wish they would double up on releases mate, they gear up for them on many releases and never follow through ... argh, LOL

We've all been double guessing Tamiya logic on this for decades, no 1/32 F16 D's or in 1/48 either and lots more ... I think they just like to tease us and wind us up :)

Yes it's frustrating like with the Il-2, they only did one version, let's hope with the F-4 and P-38 they are going to do plenty more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Yes it's frustrating like with the Il-2, they only did one version, let's hope with the F-4 and P-38 they are going to do plenty more.

At least with the F-14 we got the D after the A complete with new parts and weapons so there's hope yet for at least a J and a C,D plus stores. Though I still feel it might be a stretch to imagine they'd make any of the long nose versions.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2021 at 6:58 PM, hopkp said:

According to a recent newsletter that I saw somewhere from the guy who's in charge at ZM there will be another boxing of the F-4EJ Kai, but that'll be a limited edition too. 

Where are you getting your information ("somewhere"?) that the F-4EJ will be limited edition? According to the announcements that I've seen, for example here in The Old Man's Blog, it will be a normal release in the ZM long nose Phantom program:

●F-4E Early:Released in Japan on August 29!

●F-4EJ Kai (Retirement Commemoration Marking): Released early 2021

●F-4G: Planned release in Summer 2021

●F-4E Late:Release date TBD

●F-4F Release date TBD

●F-4EJ Release date TBD

●F-4F/ICE Release date TBD

Considering the ZM schedule, I don't think Tamiya would be anxious to produce a long nose Phantom for you ... but ... .

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

4 hours ago, Gene K said:

Where are you getting your information ("somewhere"?) that the F-4EJ will be limited edition? According to the announcements that I've seen, for example here in The Old Man's Blog, it will be a normal release in the ZM long nose Phantom program:

●F-4E Early:Released in Japan on August 29!

●F-4EJ Kai (Retirement Commemoration Marking): Released early 2021

●F-4G: Planned release in Summer 2021

●F-4E Late:Release date TBD

●F-4F Release date TBD

●F-4EJ Release date TBD

●F-4F/ICE Release date TBD

Considering the ZM schedule, I don't think Tamiya would be anxious to produce a long nose Phantom for you ... but ... .

Gene K

Great news about the G. The only long nose I’ve ever been interested in building is the Victorville ‘Sweet Sixteen’ Wild Weasel after seeing Hasegawa’s 1983 version of the same.

7 hours ago, Gene K said:

Where are you getting your information ("somewhere"?) that the F-4EJ will be limited edition?

As I said in my original post, from the guy who's in charge at Zoukei Mura - in his 'Old Man Blog No. 112'.

See here: https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_112.html

Scroll down to the end and you'll find the following text:

Many of you were lucky enough to secure your every own Zoukei-Mura SWS F-4EJ Kai “Phantom Forever 2020” kit for your F-4 Phantom II collections.
For those of you who were unable to order in time, I would like to truly apologize for the disappointment. Here in Japan, we had a waiting list of hopeful customers, but in the end none of the pre-order reservations were cancelled, letting down everyone on the waiting list yet again. To make it up to all of you, we have decided to release a standard version of the F-4EJ Kai kit (with JASDF 302nd Tactical Fighter Squadron markings) on June 12, 2021.
Our brave Phantom II, which as gave all its power as the guardian angel over the skies of Japan for so many years, will now be brought back to life in this SWS kit.
This kit will also be produced in a small quantity, so I recommend that you add it to your collection sooner rather than later.

To me at least, 'small quantity' would equate to a limited edition?

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 9:56 PM, hopkp said:

... we have decided to release a standard version of the F-4EJ Kai kit (with JASDF 302nd Tactical Fighter Squadron markings) on June 12, 2021.

Our brave Phantom II, which as gave all its power as the guardian angel over the skies of Japan for so many years, will now be brought back to life in this SWS kit.
This kit will also be produced in a small quantity, so I recommend that you add it to your collection sooner rather than later.

The production list I quoted was from the Old Man last year and includes the F-4EJ, not the F-4EJKai that was recently released. The Old Man above said the next F-4EJKai  would be produced in a small quantity, so perhaps the F-4EJ will still be in the regular lineup ...  but  then, I don't see a tremendous worldwide market for  that or for the F-4F, F-4F/ICE versions, so they may also be produced in smaller quantities. 

I'm speculating all that, of course. :hmmm:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

16 minutes ago, Gene K said:

The production list I quoted was from the Old Man last year and includes the F-4EJ, not the F-4EJKai that was recently released. The Old Man above said the next F-4EJKai  would be produced in a small quantity, so perhaps the F-4EJ will still be in the regular lineup ...  but  then, I don't see a tremendous worldwide market for  that or for the F-4F, F-4F/ICE versions, so they may also be produced in smaller quantities. 

I'm haphazardly* speculating all that, of course. :hmmm:

Gene K

*characterized by lack of order or planning, by irregularity, or by randomness; determined by or dependent on chance; aimless.

Guilty as charged, mixing up my EJs with my EJ Kais; for the record, I'd happily buy both, whoever does them (likewise the F-4F and F-4F/ICE, along with pretty much anything Phantom-shaped, accurate, well-detailed and in 1/48).

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what they do and when; ZM is unfortunately not one of those companies  (like Eduard, for example) that releases kits like clockwork to a regular schedule, there are usually long gaps between announcements and releases (e.g., the 1/32 Fw 190s).

• Like 1