1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Homebee

After the chat on the previous thread speculating about what Tamiya might be about to announce I had gotten my hopes up for a P-40, but, alas it is not.

This will be a brilliant Phantom kit in a world of other brilliant Phantom kits.

• Like 2

I'm due to start getting my state pension next month.  Now that has gone for a burton. ......... How will I tell SWMBO that I spent it on everyday essentials .....:lol: 

Dick

Question :

Was the development of this model a Phantom pregnancy ????   :coat:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlCZ said:

Oh no, another short nose - canon lose - Phantom... I long awaited a "E"  from Academy, but what they released - "E" in 1/32. So only choice is still "XO" Hasegawa or expensive Zoukei-Mura...   Tamiya is Tamiya, but i think a twice higher price as Academy is twice better kit (and i have short nosed Phantoms in gorgeous Good Morning, Da Nang from Eduard with lot of resin and big decal sheet...)  I don´t understand a ignored of "E" version - widely used, still in active service, many attractive camos, with lot of kill markings, shark mouths etc... Israeli desert camo, Turkish  "Megalodon" mouth, and many "meets and anni" camos from Japan and Germany...

But Tamiya isn´t too cheap, 100GBP is...hmmm, very much for quarter scale Phantom...

And "J" P-38 still not....

Strange choice... Yup, Phantom is very popular, but only missile armed "B" is real attractive as "E" ? I don´t sure with it :( And with Tamiya strange politic, i can´t awaited a "E".... when they don´t release "J" P-38, why they released a "E" in quarter scale :( ?

Not funny :( Very sad.

I would of hoped for an E, the early phantoms have been done by other companys or can be done from those kits.

The E is a far more interesting subject, with a great variety of schemes..

Great news for me, especially considering Hobby Link Japan have just this morning delivered a set of VF-41 decals for B and J versions..

My sphere of interest is US Navy and British Phantoms, i find the RF and gun equipped versions hideously ugly so for me Tamiya have made the correct call, especially as ZM don't seem to want to do the original skinny winged versions.

Tamiya new releases have never been cheap.  Look at the price of their F-14's compared to AMK.  What you pay for is the engineering.

Also kit prices have gone through the roof over the last 18 months.  I appreciate that £100 is a psychological barrier, but that now seems to be where the top end for 1/48 scale kits is. 

Will I be buying this kit?  Unlikely as I have a bunch of Academy kits in the stash.  I am sure that it will be a superb kit and I would buy one if it weren't for my stash.  You pays your money...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

Yes, I get your humor, but for others, here's the link:

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/martin-baker-mk-h5-ejection-seats

spacer.png

All of Hypersonic's line is  outstanding.

Gene K

I was going to get some of those but I can't find an option on their website for sending to the UK do they not anymore or have I missed something?

Just a great big yawn for me, I'm afraid.....and that's coming from someone who loves the F-4! There's already more 1/48 F-4s in my stash than can be built in one lifetime, so my money this year will be gong to the likes of ICM, who are at least doing kits of subjects that haven't been done to death already.

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 2

Another truly rubbish release.   They really are bereft of ideas. Most of their last ‘new’ releases had already been covered by other model companies, here’s just a few reasons not to buy Tamiya : F-4B   think Academy - F-14 Tomcat   think Avant Guard - (armour) Nashorn    think Dragon - Jagdtiger    think Takom.    As always they seem not able to follow up with additional releases, so won’t be holding my breath in anticipation of RF-4. 🤨

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

25 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Another truly rubbish release.   They really are bereft of ideas. Most of their last ‘new’ releases had already been covered by other model companies, here’s just a few reasons not to buy Tamiya : F-4B   think Academy - F-14 Tomcat   think Avant Guard - (armour) Nashorn    think Dragon - Jagdtiger    think Takom.    As always they seem not able to follow up with additional releases, so won’t be holding my breath in anticipation of RF-4. 🤨

I'll only be buying an RF or two if they do one, but I would buy more versions if they do them in 1/72nd.

• Thanks 1

Perhaps the reason Tamiya is producing the F-4B is that, much like Spitfires, Bf-109s, Hurricanes, P-38s and others, in spite of the fact there's yet another new release of any one of these, there's market enough to support the old and new releases and it just might be we're seeing something similar happening with the likes of the F-4, F-14 and other jets (F-104 comes to mind). The demand for the ever popular WWII fighters doesn't appear to be diminishing and the demand for more modern fighters apparently is growing. Market analysis, especially for the bigger kit manufacturers, plays a big part in the choices of new kits. Sure, I'd like a new tool F-105 and F-111 and, especially, a B-58 and others have expressed similar interest but I suspect Tamiya looked at the new F-4 kits that have come in recent times and determined they sell well and Tamiya wants its part of that market. To their credit, they chose an early F-4B and not another F-4C/D, J/S or other more common F-4 kit releases. I suspect it will sell as well as their F-14s have and many F-4 enthusiasts will be all over this one. Allow too that this most probably isn't the only new airplane release Tamiya will give us this year. We just might get an awesome surprise before the year is out ... and there's always next year. My two US cents worth.  

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, Greg B said:

The question is, when is the likely release date? It says early 2021 ;)

The Fiat 131, Senna and T-34 are listed as February releases on the Tamiya website, so March or April seems likely. The March listing will probably be on the Tamiya website on Monday or Tuesday, as it's normally at the start of the month.

Edited by Richard Humm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, amos brierley said:

[Tamiya F-4B]Another truly rubbish release. ...  F-4B   think Academy ... .

Man, that's strong ... but I understand your point.

:rofl2: So I'm thinking about rubbish as you suggested -- that would be attempting to compare Academy to the likes of Tamiya. :rofl2:

As others have said, you get what you pay for. In the limited amount of time any of us have on this earth, why not treat yourself to the best when it shows itself ... each time? (Of course I appreciate that financial situations may not always allow such luxury).

Gene K

• Like 7

Brilliant release no doubt....now I do wonder why on earth they never tackled the F-4B(N) in the 1/32 scale...

The price is about the level of the 1/32 scale offerings. Z-M has a better priced range...this is quite high for this scale 😳

Wow, some hate for the early Phantom!  Hmmmm. 

Yeah, we have a lot of Phantom models.  No doubt.  Would I have preferred a 1/48 Tamiya A-1E or AJ-2 Savage?  Sure.  But that'll never happen. 

To me an early Phantom to me is a great idea, especially since I will only build one 1/48 USN/USMC version ever so I might as well enjoy their fine engineering (which I admit comes at a high price.)  

• Like 2