1/48 - McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II by Tamiya - released - Blackdog detailing sets

Homebee

I really had thought I could avoid this but I have to get this kit now.  Might wait for a shipping deal from Lucky Models but in any case I will get it.  I am so impressed with Tamiya and what they have done with this!  Their F-14 was very successful and this might top that offering as far as sales go.  So what's next - can hardly wait!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

I really had thought I could avoid this but I have to get this kit now.  Might wait for a shipping deal from Lucky Models but in any case I will get it.  I am so impressed with Tamiya and what they have done with this!  Their F-14 was very successful and this might top that offering as far as sales go.  So what's next - can hardly wait!

You will not be disappointed....I can assure you. I actually find it quite surprising that it took Tamiya so long to introduce the F-4 Phantom into their 1:48 scale range, given the type's long-term connection with Japan (both with the USN/USMC and JASDF). In another way, I'm pleased they waited until 2021 so they could take advantage of stage-of-the-art tooling and design etc.   

• Like 1

It really does look a fantastic kit, doesn't it, possibly Tamiya's best engineered kit ever?, possibly the kit of the year too but we wont really know that for 6 months or so, but I'd bet on it.

Having said that, saw one on Ebay UK for sale from Germany this morning and with PnP its about £100 ... gulp, but then again, what price on perfection? Will because of Brexit mean I might have to pay more on import somehow? I still don't really know? For sure an item I bought from USA recently hit me with tremendous extra charges before it could be delivered, very high value item though, £800 ish.

I think I'll wait and leave it for a Christmas pressie to myself, someone always buys one to many in the rush and maybe I can score one cheaper that way on Ebay or here?

Really do have far too much to build just now and reluctantly putting Airfix's new 1/72 Vulcan on hold too, spent far to much recently and need to slow down.

Looking fwd to the builds here very much 👍

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

These kits sure seem to be taking their time reaching UK vendors. Wondering if they're stuck in the Suez Canal or something?

Wonderland models is saying available 9th July on their site?

3 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Wondering if they're stuck in the Suez Canal or something?

Stuck? How? It's cleared. 

More likely it's in Customs, or split over multiple shipments.

There was something on the news only a couple of days ago about the container ship that closed the Suez Canal for a couple of weeks. Although it had been moved out of the way, the Canal authorities impounded the vessel until a payment, I guess a hefty fine, had been paid before it was allowed to leave the area. It has only just been allowed to go on its way.

4 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Wondering if they're stuck in the Suez Canal or something?

Well that will make the decals unusable unless it's a water tight container.   :whistle:

Dick

Apparently the UK Importer is now saying it's arriving w/c 20th July, so a little way to go yet. They had been saying it was due this week, but seems to have been some hold-up.

44 minutes ago, IT_Man said:

Apparently the UK Importer is now saying it's arriving w/c 20th July, so a little way to go yet. They had been saying it was due this week, but seems to have been some hold-up.

😑

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Judging by the sudden flurry of Hasegawa FG.1's and FGR.2's on a certain auction site I was beginning to wonder whether there was a rumour that Tamiya might be thinking of tooling up a Brit version.

That's the sort of thing I have dreams about.   IF only they would. 

Dick

Just been on said certain auction site.................... I see what you mean. 

Edited by jenko

Lucky Models has a banner add on their website  calling this a best seller which I have never seen before for other models but I believe it to be the case here.  And I think they went in this direction because the F-14 was so popular and now this is probably exceeding that.  Whey wasted no time following the F-14A with the D model so I would put money on follow-up kits for the F4B.  Plus this is great business news for Tamiya which should entice them to put out new kits of similar types of common cold war fighters.

1 hour ago, Harold55 said:

Lucky Models has a banner add on their website  calling this a best seller which I have never seen before for other models but I believe it to be the case here.  And I think they went in this direction because the F-14 was so popular and now this is probably exceeding that.  Whey wasted no time following the F-14A with the D model so I would put money on follow-up kits for the F4B.  Plus this is great business news for Tamiya which should entice them to put out new kits of similar types of common cold war fighters.

There will definitely be follow ups, the current tooling is set up for at least a C, D, J and S with a few add-ons and changes and possibly the long nosed Phantoms as well at some point.

The question is whether Tamiya will be adventurous enough to be the only manufacturer other than Hasegawa with their 34 year old kit, to fashion a U.K. Phantom in 1/48.

5 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Plus this is great business news for Tamiya which should entice them to put out new kits of similar types of common cold war fighters.

A new Tamiya beautifully engineered F-100 and F-105 would be most welcome. First rate new tools of both of these are really needed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

The question is whether Tamiya will be adventurous enough to be the only manufacturer other than Hasegawa with their 34 year old kit, to fashion a U.K. Phantom in 1/48.

They might be able to reuse the clear parts, but almost everything else would have to be new. British Spey-powered Phantoms had a wider fuselage than the US GE J79 powered aircraft because the Speys had a higher bypass ratio and needed bigger intakes to compensate. As a result, they had more thrust, but top speed was lower due to higher drag.

5 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

They might be able to reuse the clear parts, but almost everything else would have to be new. British Spey-powered Phantoms had a wider fuselage than the US GE J79 powered aircraft because the Speys had a higher bypass ratio and needed bigger intakes to compensate. As a result, they had more thrust, but top speed was lower due to higher drag.

Thanks. I know, all of the above. Wasn’t about whether the current moulds could, with additional parts, be used to create an FG.1/FGR.2 in the way that may be possible for a C, D or J, but whether Tamiya have the appetite to use their experience of the B and create a tool for the Brit Phantoms. Would be a major investment.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:51 PM, Nocoolname said:

Finally got the First of mine today along with the detail up set. So no longer a 'rumour' for me at least. 😀

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I got my first one today from overseas. :yahoo:

OK rub it in why don't you. :crying: :envy: :tease:

Dick

Who believes, patience is a virtue. :innocent:

Quinta future set

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quintamodellingstudio/posts/1455344634822161

210721100944583061.jpg

This is a piece of a high magnification test print of our future set for new F-4B Tamiya kit.

What did I want to say with this photo? We are completing an extensive program of modernization of our equipment, and now we will be ready to manufacture new products even higher quality.

Currently, the quality of color 3D printing, similar to ours, is not available to any other manufacturer in the hobby industry market.

I also want to say a special big thank you to our design team. As a leader (but even more as a passionate modeler), I am very pleased to know that in a year we come a long way from from people who are passionate about their hobbies to thoughtful and experienced professionals. But the most important thing is the professionals, who still have not lost their passion for their hobby.

And we are growing. New equipment is installed and launched, new people come to the company, and they join our team with an already established corporate culture, whose spirit is very close to me.

Although we were the first to come up with this type of additions, in today's world it is not enough to maintain a leadership position.

That is why the highest print quality and thoroughness in historical accuracy will continue to remain the main features and competitive advantages of Quinta Studio products.

Quinta Studio is not the same as other producers.

I think you see it yourself when you hold our products in your hands, or use in your hobby.

Thank you for that!

Cheers, Quinta Studio team.

V.P.

• Like 8