1/48 - Lockheed-Martin F-35B Lightning II by Italeri - released - Tamiya boxing

Homebee

I second that, Italerie has made much effort for this new kit, the fit is fine.

This aircraft is really not one of my favory one, but the model is awesome, especially the box art with the english version, that will be great to make a Meteor and Spear loadout.

• Like 2

I've been harping on about a "decent" -35 kit for a while now, and think airfix has missed a trick here...

Flory review was very positive (apart from Phil incessantly banging on about the ram panels...) but this looks like a good kit with plenty of options for displaying it in UK squadron schemes.

A Tamiya version in :48th would be superb, but I'm not holding my breath to see them release a kit of this type in the near future.

It seems I'm ordering a Bucc and also one of these in the very near future!

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 10:03 AM, SharkOwl said:

Thanks Homebe !

Interesting.

But on the plastic sprue shots, I am searching for parts that will enable to present this new tool F-35B ''all closed'' in CTOL (Conventional Take Off & Landing) mode ?!?

Please share photos of the instruction sheet pages as soon as available.

😎

SharkOwl   

got mine today : both options (and some more) in the instructions: 

83oLWHK.jpg

GmUNsr8.jpg

I like the cart! :thumbsup:

strange that you get 6! GBU-32s (actually called GBU-31 1000 lb :) but no real decals (some sets of "EXTRA DECALS" that might be usefull) 

ku5CbMe.jpg

money for tooling 6 of them but not for the decals .....  

DGzvWi9.jpg

2 gunpods is also strange to say the least

I miss ASRAAMs and PW IV to make a real brit jet. Italian ones currently fly without IR guided missiles, so the Aim-9X are only suitable for the USMC version! wil change soon though...

all in all looks like a great tooling, stay tuned!

• Like 2

On 8/28/2022 at 3:02 AM, hairystick said:

A Tamiya version in :48th would be superb, but I'm not holding my breath to see them release a kit of this type in the near future.

OK, call me hopelessly optimistic, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Tamiya do at least one F-35, probably the A, and I'm confident they'd do a fine job of handing the correct thickness of the RAM panels.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

2 gunpods is also strange to say the least

That is just a result of 2x weapons sprues I think?

7 hours ago, SAT69 said:

... but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Tamiya do at least one F-35, probably the A,

If that are catering to their domestic market, I'd expect a B since they are standing up squadrons for their "through deck cruisers", as well as their current A version.

C'mon Tamiya! You can do it!!

8 hours ago, SAT69 said:

OK, call me hopelessly optimistic, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Tamiya do at least one F-35, probably the A, and I'm confident they'd do a fine job of handing the correct thickness of the RAM panels.

Given Tamiya already re-box a number of Italeri kits (including the 1/72 F-35), I can't see them doing their own.

From what I've heard from some retailer pals, this kit has been pretty successful. Would imagine they'll follow up with the other versions within the next few years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IT_Man said:

From what I've heard from some retailer pals, this kit has been pretty successful. Would imagine they'll follow up with the other versions within the next few years.

You may be right. I'd just like to see someone produce a kit that nobody can complain about the RAM panels over.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I don't think Tamiya will do a new F-35 in the near/medium future.  Tamiya has a distribution partnership with Italeri in Japan. 

Now, regarding RAM panels, it is easy to solve with sanding pads...

Edited by JFM148
  • Like 1

It’s really nice to see Italeri stepping up their game, I remember building their f-22 as my first ever kit so they do have a special place for me. It’s almost like they’ve stolen a couple Tamiya designers with this one. 

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed-Martin F-35B Lightning II by Italeri - released - Tamiya boxing

And a Tamiya boxing announced at the All Japan Model and Hobby Show 2022 - ref. 38103 - Lockheed-Martin F-35B Lightning II

Source: https://hobby.dengeki.com/event/1688704/

P1010386-IP07-Ope5v-KJy-TGNWa-ODY-FGn0rc

The freshly announced Tamiya F-35A is a new tool kit - ref. 61124 - (link) while this F-35B is the new Italeri kit to be reboxed or simply marketed in Japan by Tamiya under ref. 38103. As a reminder the original Italeri kit ref. is 2810.

Fd4-Ko-Ouag-AIIx0a.jpg

P1010387-Mcobxq-NVm-GG7-HIk-IUYT1-CGogpm

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 12:03 AM, SAT69 said:

Well you called that right...

On 31/08/2022 at 00:03, SAT69 said:

Can you choose my lottery numbers please? 

6 hours ago, Homebee said:

And a Tamiya boxing announced at the All Japan Model and Hobby Show 2022 - ref. 38103

Source: https://hobby.dengeki.com/event/1688704/

P1010386-IP07-Ope5v-KJy-TGNWa-ODY-FGn0rc

P1010387-Mcobxq-NVm-GG7-HIk-IUYT1-CGogpm

V.P.

Ooooh yes, I had been waiting to get the Italeri F-35B (and for the Royal Navy to actually get a squadron for themselves), but I think I'll wait for the Tamiya version now. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Ooooh yes, I had been waiting to get the Italeri F-35B (and for the Royal Navy to actually get a squadron for themselves), but I think I'll wait for the Tamiya version now. 

If you look at the box behind the kit I think you’ll find that this is the Italeri kit….

Pleasantly surprised with the Tamiya F-35 news.  I told you earlier I wouldn't think Tamiya would release one....Now I totally understand why Italeri released the F-35B.  Also very surprised Tamiya kit has the RAM panels raised too !    Nothing sanding paper or stick wet can't fix.   I hope this puts the argument to rest now that Tamiya did it too.

It does seem a bit odd (to me, at least) for Tamiya to release their own new-tool A-model then also announce a reboxing of another brand's kit for another variant of the same type, at the same time.

It would be like them releasing their F-4B and also releasing a rebox of the Academy F-4J at the same time. 

I know it's too early to say until more is seen / known, but I wonder if there has been a level of cooperation in the design and production between Tamiya and Italeri for these?

Cheers,

Motty.

Tamiya Inc twitter Source: https://twitter.com/tamiyainc/status/1576063954664640512

*This “1/48 F-35B Lightning II” is a product of Italian model maker “Italeri”. It models the F-35B capable of short takeoff/vertical landing (STOVL). (There are no common parts with Tamiya 1/48 masterpiece series No.124 "Lockheed Martin F-35A Lightning II")

V.P.