1/48 Whippet, scratch built in paper.

Brilliant, one of the most different and interesting models I have seen on here in a while.

I presume paper and card, with some plastic or metal add ons?    I'd like more pics, and prefrabley from a lower angle with a simple backdrop, as this would really shine then, hvae a look at some of the work of @PlaStix , and I know he'd appreciate this one

I, and many others, would be fascinated to see more of how this was done.  Look like an ideal subject for the material, being mostly flat surfaces, but as good as any kit or plastic scratch built.

Any thing else to show? I assume so as this I have some excellent paper and card models,  there are usually some giveaways.  

Hmm,  I know both @TheBaron @hendie have done some very impressive scratch work, and @Marklo and @Gorby have done scratch WW1 tanks, and @SleeperService likes 1/48th armour., and would be of interest to @Das Abteilung as well.  

cheers

T

PS edit

I see you have a WIP on a ship here which gives some of the techniques you must have use on the above.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello friends, thanks for all of your kind and constructive comments. I agree with the photography elements, but I am just a beginner in this aspect.

I have a few modelling chums who use free downloads as templates to make in plastic card and these are stunning builds. I have never tried this myself as I find the card making process just as adaptable and less expensive.

The rivets were all embossed from the inside and were indeed "a labour of love"

I will post a new thread of how it was made over on wip.

• Like 4

That's a beauty! It's be good to see a few more shots as suggested...

I built a similar model a while back using a paper/card template, but switching to plastic card for thw actural construction....

The only thing to watch for is to allow for the 0.5mm (or whatever) plastic thickness when cutting and joining plates. Other than that, switching from paper to plastic works very well.

• Like 2

Congratulations on a fine model, i regularly look at my dvd of the 1970s series of model world bbc tv series, and there is one gentleman on there who builds fantastic models from fileing card and cardboard, your model reminded me of his work ,its amazing how good looking these models are Well done 👏 

• Thanks 1

@Troy Smith is absolutely correct - I really am delighted he drew this to my attenton! You have done an absolutely incredible job....and scratch built in card!! Stunning modelling - truly inspirational. :worthy:

With regards photography. I think it's this kind of thing Troy is referring to:

45091177744_ec2c0941bd_b.jpg

Please note mine is not built from card!!

Basically I found a copyright free photo (of mostly sky with a small amount of land and trees at the bottom) online which I enlarged over several sheets of A4 paper, which I then laminated with matt pouches. Once joined together I attached them to a suitable length/width of 4mm thick MDF. I then take the photos fairly close in and very low down on my iPad. These then have to be cropped to get the photo to show only what I want it to show. If you check out a lot my aircraft and AFV builds, in the RFI section, they are usually photographed against this background at some point. I have a couple of desert photo backgrounds for desert based vehicles and a forrest backgroud for the occasional specific AFV.

Your model taken in a similar way will look amazing.

More photos of the above can be seen here: 

Looking forward to seeing more of your builds.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Troy Smith Thanks for the tag my friend.

@cardist That is absolutely stunning. I'm am literally floored by how great it looks. There's an 'Anything But Styrene' Group Build coming up and I think you would be made most welcome.

@Model Mate Very good advice about the thicknesses. I'm getting more tempted by the minute.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1