New Year Build #2 - Harrier

Ian

Kit - Airfix 1:72.

Paint - Humbrol, WEM & Xtracolour enamels.

Decals - Kit.

Extras - LAU-3 pods from Hasegawa Weapons Set.

Hawker Siddeley AV-8A Harrier

VMA-513 'Flying Nightmares'

MCAS Kaneohe Bay

gUNC8zd.jpg

X0LIHUO.jpg

4Pn2a1y.jpg

Gl9fExT.jpg

4LGONgB.jpg

RDDqTJZ.jpg

Bought this on impulse from a mate here in NZ just a couple of weeks before Christmas and decided to get it built more-or-less immediately.

Hit the bench at the same time as the Skyraider and built side-by-side. Definitely does not 'fall together' in the same way as the A-1, but that's to be expected because of the complex and complicated shapes that need to be 'massaged' into place with some forethought and practice. Like a number of 'new' Airfix kits I've built, I'm still not 'happy' with the soft plastic that they're utilising but that's just a personal gripe. A little smear of filler here and there and some gentle sanding was needed but that's all. 

Always loved the early 'pointy nose' Harriers and was really liked the in-box marking options, so just went ahead and used them - they're great !!. A little gem of a kit and due congrats to Airfix. All the very best from NZ, please feel free to criticise, comment or ask any questions.

Ian.

• Like 36

Unlike the AV-8B the first generation Harrier had only a brief service history with the USMC. So it is nice to see early US Marine Harrier jets. I like your choice of add-ons for the load-out and the colorful markings. This is a very good looking build. In my view, the Airfix kit may have some minor issues but in comparison to other AV-8As in 1/72 scale such as the old Fujimi kits it builds into a nice model without running into any major hassles. 

• Like 1

Thanks all. glad you like it and really appreciate the kind words. Next build is already on the bench and a fair way along, you should see it in about three weeks or so.

Best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 1