VA-65, NAS Miramar

MBaRB8m.jpg

da0YoHi.jpg

qb4xTgo.jpg

KPK6EmZ.jpg

DcJ5R3f.jpg

ish3hJz.jpg

4aBtRM0.jpg

Had this in the stash for years, so over the post-Christmas & New Year, dragged it kicking and screaming to the bench.

Such an easy build like so many of these 1990's era Hasegawa kits, hardy needed any input from me whatsoever. Painted in 'Old Skool' Humbrol and Xtracolour enamels and used decals from a twenty-five (plus ?) year old Superscale sheet which behaved flawlessly.

Not much else to say, please go-ahead and ask any questions, make any comments or criticisms. All the very best for '21.

Ian.

• Like 44

1 hour ago, Natter said:

There's something about the Skyraider that screams for a full load of underwing stores though.

I rather like it with all those empty pylons - uncommonly restrained!

That’s a very nice model, Ian; the paint finish and weathering are absolutely spot on. Lovely job.

Jon

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I'm a BIG believer (in modelling) that 'less is more', I almost always 'under-arm' any aircraft builds. Not saying that presenting your build with a full loadout is wrong, just that 90% of the time I prefer to keep the build looking relatively clean. A couple more here that follow that idea:

Fxo6cH3.jpg

wrNckwr.jpg

All the best

Ian.

• Like 10

Very nice built Ian! Well done! Did you have any trouble with the kit? Are there any points of special attention? I have the same with the AIRES and CMK cockpit sets and I am thinking to get started in the next couple of months, as soon as my current CAS model (A-10A) is finished!

• Like 1

A man after my  own heart ,keep it simple and build more from the stash before its to late .You have to be congratulated on some fine builds ,well done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ian said:

I'm a BIG believer (in modelling) that 'less is more', I almost always 'under-arm' any aircraft builds.

I agree, although I love to give them an appropriate amount of external tankage ;). I generally only include weaponry if it is particularly pertinent. 

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ian. A lovely build indeed. (Have a Tamiya 1:48 in my stash in the USN version.)

Interesting point you make about not having to always apply all the external stores in the kit! After all it's a valid state in real life too. But also it's your choice  how to configure the kit.

I like to take a restrained and gentle approach to weathering too. Less is more in my opinion !

Thanks for showing this ! Excellent work indeed!

Cheers

Andy

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I agree, although I love to give them an appropriate amount of external tankage ;). I generally only include weaponry if it is particularly pertinent. 

Martin

Same here. And that makes airbrushing and washing more straightforward too.

• Like 1

The ground crew must have wiped all of the oil off for the photos! Seriously, that is a beautifully done Spad, and the exhaust staining looks good. Haven't seen one of the Hasegawa kits built in a long time, but yours is very nice! 👍

Mike

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kentavros76 said:

Very nice built Ian! Well done! Did you have any trouble with the kit? Are there any points of special attention?

Thank you... no, no problems at all, very easy build.

Ian.

9 hours ago, Big Dave S said:

That is smashing. Really nice.

Recessed panel lines? I've wondered about doing one of these for a while.

Yep, Dave... very fine engraved panel lines.

Ian.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the responses.

Just FYI, thought that you may like to see a pic of the pre-shade - Ushi Van De Rosen splatter masks, a 0.3 Iwata needle and some luck !!

a1KZh5Q.jpg

All for now, the next build I post here will probably be a Mirage, also planning a couple of New Zealand projects, but they're both going to need extras from Hannants and given the lockdown at home, it'll be some time before either of them get to the bench. Take care all, very best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 2