Vintage kit completed: Maserati 3500 GTI by Monogram

This kit has been part of my life for a long time, it seems.  I started the build thread back in September 2020; it's been a challenging journey in places, partly because of the design of the kit and partly because of the decisions I made during the build process, but I think the end result was worthwhile.

Why did I get this kit?  I've always loved 1960s GT cars - Jaguar E-types, Ferrari Lussos, Aston Martin DBs and the like - but I'd sort of forgotten about the Maserati until different examples popped up on Jay Leno's garage, Fantomworks and Chasing Classic Cars all within a couple of weeks.  That prompted me to see if anyone made a kit and there were a few available on eBay.  This kit was slightly incomplete but much cheaper than the "vintage" sealed in box examples.  I didn't know what exactly might be missing when I bought it but I could see that all the major stuff was there and apart from the things I fabricated to enhance the kit I think I only had to make four bits; the tail piece of the gearbox, the two front wing grilles (I had one but it would have looked odd if they weren't a matching pair even though you couldn't ever see both sides at the same time) and the fuel filler neck in the boot.

In terms of additions the biggest was reshaping the front grille, and that provided a convenient excuse to replace the solid moulded grille itself with something open.  I'm not sure that the grille shape is entirely correct, but it's more correct (at least to me) than the way the kit was designed.  I wasn't brave enough to tackle the windscreen shape, which is also slightly off from the real cars.  I also added wires to the spark plugs (12 as this is a twin-spark straight six) and a few other under bonnet details.  On the interior I slightly reshaped the seats and gave them runners, changed the steering wheel and indicator stalk for aftermarket metal parts, reworked the door cards, tweaked the handbrake placement and added seat belts.  The colour scheme was inspired by a real 3500 GTI (body is Tamiya TS-58 Pearl Light Blue, upholstery is TS-33 Dull Red).

Anyway, you didn't come here for a load of waffle, how about some pictures?

y4mlx5TLcqbyjS-2ydGA5ok7PGAHrdhytmL0fa2W

A quick "before" a bare shell, if you like, pulled out of a barn and ready for restoration.

y4mUiW4WfWGwhcIP18Dgmw03dNgA4d-uA8BJb-xI

y4mAf96LtoLsytQWcwBKhV_6Jv0BL1Ou1eFu1B3K

y4m3Vmumwwm1dExhvYlfOpwXY_4fFe5p8X8lTf7o

y4mtZjIYSxdPz2XnkjbOIZGWZjtcCPH1_X3V-d4U

y4mUZ7FenAG1f88jtJdezx1IYMzAIavooyqP1Mpt

Technically the script is wrong, the typeface should be slightly different and read "Maserati 3500 GT" while the spear through the trident badge should be script spelling out "Injetzione" (or something like that), but I had to make do with what I could get from eBay.

y4mlryURMqh3eR5CLqMndR9ZaxnXBQb4nQ3UZCSj

Apologies for the improvised boot prop, not many people will ever see this view but it's quite pleasing to know that the boot is nicely finished.

y4m5YGp8bbKuatpoqlPX42-EmGi_fmFGaM-yTTll

y4m0AZ6-wcOVo8oKxRf-dovOKdXIhI1GpoLnYH1W

y4mAeGBd8l0yVqAfN0qkSx2YKQBubu-t-F8WRfRT

y4m7JNVTpcz3Tb49IP3as3AeG81FntIQsbp2qrxx

y4mSEdZhel2PZwCjFGi4SjYfHruzOF0iFwSPhSc1

Build thread is here, if you're interested and haven't been following along.

Thanks to everyone who has liked or commented on the build thread.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Been good following this build through to completion. Looking at those pictures, the light blue suits it better (to my eyes) than dark red. You should be pleased with how this one turned out.

It was actually a strange feeling, seeing that picture of the Maserati in the dark red plastic, I'd almost forgotten that it was originally that colour.