1/48 - Curtiss-Wright CW-21A/B Demonstrator/Interceptor by Dora Wings - CW-21A & B released

Homebee

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have now completed both of these kits.  Here are my thoughts/suggestions.

The engine mounts are very fiddly.  If I had this to do again, I would just leave them off.  You can't see them unless you shine a light up under the cowling anyway.  I suggest that, if you decide to build them, then glue the engine to the inside of the cowling and let the mount float behind the engine.  Gluing the engine to the mount threw off alignment for me.

The fit for the fuselage halves is good, and the wing to fuselage fit is perfect.  For me though, the canopy fit was poor.

I built the CW-21B pre-release, and the canopy masks didn't fit at all.  The masks for the CW-21 demonstrator were just fine though.  That is weird because the canopies are identical.  My guess is that they caught this problem after the pre-release and fixed it on the CW-21 demonstrator kit, which likely means that they will have the correct canopy masks in the official release version of the CW-21B.

There are numerous errors in the instructions, so be sure you study them carefully before assembly.  Also, the instructions are vague about a number of alignment issues.  I got the main gear strut angles wrong on the CW-21 demonstrator, but I didn't figure this out until after I put the gear doors on and realized I must have it wrong.  I am just not very familiar with this aircraft.

As usual with Dora Wings kits, the decals are excellent.

If interested, more info and photos on my blog here:  https://howmanyinstruments.wordpress.com/my-builds/.

Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for that summary.  I've fiddled with the CW-21 but things got in the way.   I was/am concerned about the amount of dihedral - the wings looks a little flat to me.  How was yours?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy Happy Days! Just got mine on order from Dora. They are giving 10% of all sale prices to support Ukranian Children effected by the war. I'd usually wait for Hannants or my local shop Antics to get these in but that feels like a good cause to me.  Roll on the release of the P-66 Vultee Vanguard.