1/72nd P-40 Kittyhawk, 3 Sqn RAAF, Italy, late 1944.***FINISHED 23/02/2021***

Here's my second choice for this GB, SH's nice looking P40N as a Kittyhawk IV of 3 Sqn RAAF based in Italy.  Don't know a lot about these aircraft so need to do a bit of research methinks. Will again be using markings from an Xtradecal sheet 'Fighters over Africa and the Med.' Will most certainly be OOB as the kit seems well stocked with detail.  Having had experience of kits from this and other 'short run' manufacturers I'm not expecting a 'click together' 'TamiGawa' build.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0003 DSC_0004

• Like 9

Davey,

There is something note right about the decal scheme captioning, firstly P-40s with the blue rudder with the Southern Cross on it were operated by 3SQN not 450SQN, the second gotcha that jumps out at me are the squadron codes for the aircraft, again 'CV' was a 3SQN code, 450SQN used 'OK'. I am amazed Xtradecal would get this wrong, unless there is some more specific detail about it which suggests it was a 3SQN aircraft loaned to 450SQN for some reason.

Looking forward to your build

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Davey,

There is something note right about the decal scheme captioning, firstly P-40s with the blue rudder with the Southern Cross on it were operated by 3SQN not 450SQN, the second gotcha that jumps out at me are the squadron codes for the aircraft, again 'CV' was a 3SQN code, 450SQN used 'OK'. I am amazed Xtradecal would get this wrong, unless there is some more specific detail about it which suggests it was a 3SQN aircraft loaned to 450SQN for some reason.

Looking forward to your build

Of course I knew this! Just waiting to see if anyone would spot the deliberate mistake.... NOT! Heh heh 😁

I did mention I didn't know much about these aircraft, including squadrons, serials and such, I just like building models!

I did do the Mustang IV on this sheet which is from 3 Sqn RAAF, I think they may have just had a bad day when setting out the print layout.  In the photo of the makings I am using you can see a Mustang III which in the notes is a 450 Sqn. aircraft on loan from 3 Sqn, thus it has the blue rudder with the stars.

They also have 'CV . V' as the codes but the drawing and decals are for 'Z'.

Apparently FX666 was only in 3 Sqn. for 3 weeks before being transferred to 450 Sqn.

We'll not say anything about this sheet being researched by a certain Mr. Tony O'Toole, I'm sure he got it right and it's Xtradecal's mistake 😉.

All interesting stuff, eh?

Davey.

• Like 2

• DaveyGair changed the title to 1/72nd P-40 Kittyhawk, 3 Sqn RAAF, Italy, late 1944.

Looking forward to this one Davey mate,..... here are some of the reference pics which I submitted to Xtradecal when I proposed the sheet,... in case they are of help;

02.jpg

3-sqn-kittyhawk-IV-CV-Z-FX666-Temp-Land-

Although 3 Sqn had the blue rudder with stars on their Mustangs.... it was not common on their Kittyhawks!

Here is a typical bomb load,..this is a 450 Sqn RAAF a/c at Cutella;

Kittyhawk-IV-450-Sqn-RAAF-Cutella-Italy-

Here are some original camo diagams for the earlier Mk.I,.... WHICH MAY HELP?'

Kitty-Drg-02.jpg

Kitty-Drg-01.jpg

And finally,.... this is my attempt at the same  aircraft,.... using the old Hasegawa 1/72nd scale kit;

DSCF9143.jpg

This new Special Hobby kit is awesome,.... you`ll love it!,..... I built one as a 450 Sqn RAAF a/c;

DSCF7827-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Looking forward to this one Davey mate,..... here are some of the reference pics which I submitted to Xtradecal when I proposed the sheet,... in case they are of help;

02.jpg

3-sqn-kittyhawk-IV-CV-Z-FX666-Temp-Land-

Although 3 Sqn had the blue rudder with stars on their Mustangs.... it was not common on their Kittyhawks!

Here is a typical bomb load,..this is a 450 Sqn RAAF a/c at Cutella;

Kittyhawk-IV-450-Sqn-RAAF-Cutella-Italy-

Here are some original camo diagams for the earlier Mk.I,.... WHICH MAY HELP?'

Kitty-Drg-02.jpg

Kitty-Drg-01.jpg

And finally,.... this is my attempt at the same  aircraft,.... using the old Hasegawa 1/72nd scale kit;

DSCF9143.jpg

This new Special Hobby kit is awesome,.... you`ll love it!,..... I built one as a 450 Sqn RAAF a/c;

DSCF7827-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony 

Oh great! a couple of Mr.'OT' builds to live up to! I'll give up now!😁

Both look great by the way Tony.

Got a Venom over on the KUTA GB to finish, and a Mossie on the 'Interceptors' to finish as well, before getting on with these.

Davey

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Oh great! a couple of Mr.'OT' builds to live up to! I'll give up now!😁

Both look great by the way Tony.

Got a Venom over on the KUTA GB to finish, and a Mossie on the 'Interceptors' to finish as well, before getting on with these.

Davey

Oh crikey,..... Davey I was supposed to be helping and encouraging you,.... not putting you off mate!  I`ll gladly remove the pics. Good luck with all of the builds bud.

Cheers

Tony 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Oh crikey,..... Davey I was supposed to be helping and encouraging you,.... not putting you off mate!  I`ll gladly remove the pics. Good luck with all of the builds bud.

Cheers

Tony 

Just joking mate, all good and I'll be cracking on with these in the next week or so. I'll be using your models as reference anyway 😁

Davey.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Just joking mate, all good and I'll be cracking on with these in the next week or so. I'll be using your models as reference anyway 😁

Davey.

Phew!!😉

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I'm building all 3 Kittyhawk's at the same time, hopefully I won't mix them up!

Done some basic sticking of parts together, ready for interior painting. The detail is spot on and parts fit is excellent, I didn't have to clamp or tape anywhere on both the SH kits wings. The cockpit is excellent with no PE needed.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0002

• Like 4

The third Kittyhawk in this trio, again got the cockpit painted, seatbelts are Tamiya tape.  Not shown here, I have joined the fuselage and the wings, nearly forgetting to add the instrument panel!  Fit is excellent with no filler required as far as I can see although a spray of undercoat will reveal all!

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0001

• Like 7

Here we are with photos showing the airframe together, then primed, masked after applying the Sky Grey then after applying the Dark Earth.  Everything went together well with no filler at all required.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0003 DSC_0004

• Like 5

Got the painting done today (for all three Kittyhawk's), just got to Gloss coat then decals.  I realised after taking photos that I hadn't done the tail in PRU Blue, fortunately it wasn't stuck really well so I removed it to paint later.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002

• Like 6

21 hours ago, tonyot said:

Looks great Davey,.... that Sky Grey looks the bee`s knee`s colour wise too.

Cheers Tony, FYI the Sky Grey is Vallejo ModelColor Sky Grey 70.989 out the bottle, thinned down for airbrushing.

I got the painting, decalling and final Matt coat done the last couple of days. 

For the first time I used Humbrol Decalset which works really well, I used it an all the Kittyhawks I'm doing, SH and Xtradecal, and they settled down as per the instructions (I did smooth them down with a soft cloth, which the instructions don't mention). The 'Klear' Gloss coat wasn't affected and the top Gloss and Matt coat  worked as normal.

The rudder was painted separately and the decals applied, they still await sealing and final Matt coat. The rudder isn't glued on yet.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0006 DSC_0007 DSC_0008

• Like 9

• DaveyGair changed the title to 1/72nd P-40 Kittyhawk, 3 Sqn RAAF, Italy, late 1944.***FINISHED 23/02/2021***

Calling this finished. Minimal weathering as usual for me, I normally add aerial wires but I'm having trouble coping with doing these at the moment so may add them at a later date, you can't see the things anyway on photos of the real thing!

Finished with Vallejo ModelAir throughout, 'Klear' Gloss varnish with Vallejo Matt to finish.

A smooth build with fantastic detail and fit of parts, the two SH Kittyhawk's I have built on here are among the nicest kits I have done lately.

Thanks for the kind words and comments along the way!

Davey.

DSC_0008 DSC_0003

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Great to see a late model Kittyhawk in the correct Olive Drab/Dark Green and Dark Earth over Neutral Grey/Sky Grey instead of the usually incorrect desert schemes.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for looking in.  I can't claim to be knowledgeable about such things and normally rely on the research done by the decal manufacturer. In this case both the 'Fighters over Africa and the Med.' sheets were researched by Mr. Tony O'Toole, who commented above, and is usually well read about these subjects 😉. Of course errors can be made and when looking at photo's of these aircraft at this time in the war it certainly looked like they weren't in the Mid.Stone over Dark Earth scheme.

Davey.