1/72 SMER P-40 Kittyhawk Mk.III, 450 Sqn RAAF, Tunisia.***FINISHED 10/03/2021***

Can't believe I didn't have my name down for this. Here's the first of two P-40's I have to build using Xtradecals 'Fighters over Africa and the Med.' sheets.

Smers P-40k/Kittyhawk Mk. III seems simple enough, won't add much apart from seatbelts so will be OOB, unless there is something untoward that needs fixing?

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Can't believe I didn't have my name down for this. 

Davey.

Yes you should be ashamed of yourself, however now you are here all is forgiven  :wink:

Good luck with this one.

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Yes you should be ashamed of yourself, however now you are here all is forgiven  :wink:

Good luck with this one.

Cheers Pat 

Yes, thoroughly Pat!  Depending how I get on I might chuck in an Aussie 'Halibag' as well!

(Apparently not a good many Aussie's in the squadron, erm, one I think, but there were some Kiwi's amongst the rest!)

Davey.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here we go. This afternoon started on the 3 Kittyhawk's that I have in this GB.

The wonderful thing about the 2 Special Hobby kits I have is that there a different seats and instrument panels all on a shared sprue for different boxings, so looking on the SH website found what seat and instrument panel to use for this version and they are spare when doing the  Mk.IV !  So I've been able to do up the basic Smer cockpit with these parts.

I also took the liberty to take a mould of the two side panels for the cockpit with my 'Blue Stuff' moulding material, moulding them with 'Kneadatite' two part epoxy putty.

More soon,

Davey.

DSC_0004

DSC_0005 DSC_0006

• Like 7

I've been painting the cockpits of the Kittyhawk's I have going on in this GB.  Here's this one resplendent with 'acquired' Special Hobby parts.  Bit of jiggery-pokery required but looks as if it'll work.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0003

• Like 2

Assembled the airframe, the wings weren't a great fit to the fuselage but nothing a bit of modelling didn't sort out.  The trunking/fairing running along the bottom of the fuselage isn't accurate but to be honest I couldn't be bothered to carve/file/sand into a more correct shape. I also forgot to add a floor in each of the wheel-wells but again I'm not too bothered.

Photo's show the airframe primed, then masked up after having had the Dark Med. Blue applied, then a coat of Middlestone.  leaving to harden before masking to do the Dark Earth.

Davey.

DSC_0003 DSC_0001 DSC_0006

• Like 3

Here we are with the painting completed, ready for a Gloss coat and decals.  

I'm toying with dropping in some scratch made wheel-well inserts as I forgot to do that before joining the wings together(!) but I may just paint them the colour I used for the rest of the interior, it'll not be noticed sitting on the shelf.

Vallejo ModelAir throughout.

Davey.

DSC_0005 DSC_0006

• Like 3

Here we are with the decalling and final Gloss and Matt coats on.

As with the others I used Humbrols Decalset for the first time and it worked fine with no effect on the 'Klear' Gloss coat and settling the decals down nicely into the detail with no silvering.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0011

• Like 4

• DaveyGair changed the title to 1/72 SMER P-40 Kittyhawk Mk.III, 450 Sqn RAAF, Tunisia.***FINISHED 10/03/2021***

After having a few days in hospital then a few days getting back into shape I've finally gotten around to finishing this Kittyhawk off to complete the trio.

I had a lot of difficulties with the canopy but finally got it to fit somewhat.  Not my best effort but finally got it finished.

The drop-tank and exhausts are spares from the Special Hobby kits. Vallejo ModelAir paint throughout. The Xtradecal's went down well on the 'Klear' Gloss varnish, responding well to the Humbrol Decal setting solution I have just obtained.  Vallejo Matt varnish to finish.

Now on to finish the RNZAF Vega Gull I have on this GB, see you over there!

Davey.

DSC_0003 DSC_0004

• Like 4