Saro Lerwick in 1/72 , not Contrail but scratch work...

JWM

I am searching in my resources for decals and I have found a bit strange proportions of roundels on Lerwick. Please have a look at this photo. The visible are fuselage's and a bit worse a top of wing's roundels. 

622be6c3-8e49-4b83-9406-f1a991d15a6a.jpg

DSCF8121.jpg

The central red is much wider then in regular pre-war roundels A. In A the diameter of central red circle is equal to the difference in radii of white borders (so the width of white), similar is with blue. As a result the radii of circles are: 0.5,1.5,2.5. Here the proportion is closer to 1,2,3 - anyway it looks more like a post war roundels of type D I think...

It is like on @tonyot B17 here 

So I am searching for a post war roundels in my drawer...

Regards

J-W

Wonderful subject. I had an acquaintance who has since passed on, who served in a maintenance unit of some sort in Coastal Command. Being Scottish, he corrected my ignorant colonial pronunciation of Lerwick. He told me he was supposed to go on an air test on a Lerwick once but his bicycle had a flat and he was late, so another took his place. He arrived in time to watch it takeoff. It never came back. Fortunes of war. Looking forward to the finish line. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JWM said:

I am searching in my resources for decals and I have found a bit strange proportions of roundels on Lerwick. Please have a look at this photo. The visible are fuselage's and a bit worse a top of wing's roundels. 

The central red is much wider then in regular pre-war roundels A. In A the diameter of central red circle is equal to the difference in radii of white borders (so the width of white), similar is with blue. As a result the radii of circles are: 0.5,1.5,2.5. Here the proportion is closer to 1,2,3 - anyway it looks more like a post war roundels of type D I think...

It is like on @tonyot B17 here 

So I am searching for a post war roundels in my drawer...

Regards

J-W

It did happen, possibly a misinterpretation of the wording. Modeldecal even provided large red centres on one of their sheets but, I think, only for smaller sizes - I used some on my all black Spitfire V "JU.H" IIRC.

I'm afraid I can't point you to a source and I can't immediately find the date when the brighter pre-war colours changed to the darker red and blue - something that would kill the use of post war roundels.

• Like 1

I started using a Thinnerline circle cutter for my 1/32 WWI kits because I don’t get along with large decals. It will also cut very small circles and has proven useful for wheel masks as well. A little bit more work than a decal, but you will get that “painted on” look.🙂

http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/reviews/tools/thinnerlinecirclecutterreviewbg_1.htm

• Like 1

Hi,

I came to decals today. I put most of them but not the serial, which I left for tomorrow. 

I painted the marks of walk in areas on wings and cover some parts with mat varnish. After varnish I put the Humbrol Clearfix into portholes, on photos it is still wet.

I am trying to avoid flash doing photos but that one is too dark

51053474647_6ae4cf6da8_o.jpg

So it is with flash:

51053393886_2a540f8e5f_o.jpg

The 48" tall codes I took from Italeri Sunderland. F was there already, W I did from two A, Q I did from G and bits from A.

51052664073_19a0231cba_o.jpg

I enlarged red central dot on fuselage but still it is too regular, not a bit odd as is seen on photos... BYW - I think that in most cases the pre-war A roundels were not repainted into wartime (darker) A1  - because in between it should be B type at least four positions from top. 

51052664283_504de54408_o.jpg

Bottom side:

51052664188_7c3d784fc0_o.jpg

The rear part of fuselage is not covered with mat varinsh but has diluted leyer of gloss to make a good stick with decals/stickers/transfers... :)

And small bits still to add: beach gear and turrets (not finished  yet)

51053474572_a446e1014f_o.jpg 

To be continued

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 12

P.S>

Again it happend to me, that sending post do not returns thread to the top... Will see if this PS will help for this...

J-W

It’s looking great. The composite canopy has come up really well too.

FWIW when I was building a couple a while back, I noticed that early Miles Masters had strange roundel proportions too.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Wow this is looking superb J-W,.... I love how you`ve reproduced the 4 colour shadow shaded TSS too,.... it looks just right. Re the roundels,.... some pre war aircraft did have the large red centre disc,...... the AW Siskin springs to mind for a start,...... nd some Stranraer flying boats had them too.

Keep up the good work mate,

Tony

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beard said:

Do you have any idea what you are going to do next?

Thank you! I have to finish two Potezes 63: 631 and 63.11, I am doing them in background together with Lerwick, started befere it.  So nothing special. But the next oddity is a vacu Shcherbakov ShCh-2 (Broplan) within a non-injected GB. The next conversion I am thinking about is Amiot 370 from Mach 2 Amiot 351 kit together with non-converted 351. Further plans for this year are about Soviet and Italian, mostly. But we will see....

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

Wow this is looking superb J-W,.... I love how you`ve reproduced the 4 colour shadow shaded TSS too,.... it looks just right. Re the roundels,.... some pre war aircraft did have the large red centre disc,...... the AW Siskin springs to mind for a start,...... nd some Stranraer flying boats had them too.

Keep up the good work mate,

Tony

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It’s looking great. The composite canopy has come up really well too.

FWIW when I was building a couple a while back, I noticed that early Miles Masters had strange roundel proportions too.

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian and  Tony - I appreciate, many thanks! :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

It is almost finished. I glued all missed so far elements (pitch regulation elements in prop hubs, aerials, Piot, rear turret) made some painting correction etc. I will add some exploitation dirt and chipping ... 

So the Larwick for today evening looks like that:

51060300912_fcef39970f_o.jpg

51059500443_5a8646c84d_o.jpg

51060301147_18b4a59484_o.jpg

Close to finish... :) !

Regards

J-W

• Like 6

• 2 years later...

Fantastic job Jerzy.

These were based where live in Oban, they were not very successful or liked by the crews who flew them.

They were nicknamed the "flying pig", bulky and underpowered.

Two were involved with incidents, one hit rocks near the Isle of Lismore lighthouse with the loss of its 5 crew whilst the other overturned and sank while taxiing to its mooring in Ardentrive Bay on the Isle of Kerrera.

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1