Saro Lerwick in 1/72 , not Contrail but scratch work...

JWM

Hi,

An idea to add Saro Lerwick to series of flying boats, float planes and amphibian (all in 1/72 of course) I did in course of last more than 2 years already (Grumman Duck, Widgeon and Goose, Consolidated Coronado, Martin Mariner, Boeing Clipper 314, Nomad and Catalina, Curtiss  Seagull, Seahawk and Seamew, Beriev MBR2 bis and M17, KOR 1 and 2, Supermarine Walrus, Sea Otter and Stranraer, Short Sunderland and Empire). As I said one of the latest was Short Empire converted from Airfix Sunderland using @AdrianMF vacu fuselage. So two halves  of Airfix Sunderland was lying on my desk for more then half a year.  Al that time I was thing what sort of use can I do with this plastic, otherwise finally it will enlarge the plastic spot on Pacific, and I really would to avoid it...  So that is how I came to this idea. 

The problem with Lerwick is that there are no good drawing to it, and in consequence the two existing kits in 1/72: the classic Contrail one and recent Blackbird made the same error of two pilot sitting one next to another instead of sitting in tandem, what resulted in too wide front of canopy. The comparison  of  models made from Contrail kit, which I have found in Net, with photos of real Lerwick shows this diference clearly.  

Anyway - I started work four days ago from cutting Sunderland fuselage in more that 15 pieces:

50870539218_955ab9a45d_o.jpg

50871246246_ecaf8da6d6_o.jpg

50871246336_fb3fb50bf2_o.jpg

To be continued

J-W

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes, an aeroplane that has always fascinated me.

You are so correct about the incorrect cockpit layout on the existing models, I had to bite my lip when a Lerwick with side by side seating kept winning competitions at model shows. And then an injection model appeared with the same error. I told them about it but they did not seemed interested.

Good luck with this one.

regards, adey

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Many thanks for support! There was a movie on TV I wanted to watch so I break the post hour ago at reporting four days ago stage.  I was working those four days on this fuselage using electric saw, cement, Milliput (for massive filling), plastic sheets,  Humbrol putty (for less massive filling) and Tamiya putty (for surface corrections) and of course a lot of sanding. 

Here we are:

50871244011_983a81bb61_o.jpg

The plate with doors which ends cockpit (I do not have a photo of this part of Lerwick, but I guess there must be some doors...) is from Academy B17. 

The second side with attached rudder with tape

50870537218_b927272623_o.jpg

The fin and rudder is constructed from Special Hobby DC-2 spare fin and from small  pieces from Frog/Novo Rezorback P47 wings used to enlarge fin and rudder. 

The outer parts of wings of the P47 are almost perfect for tailplane 

50871343042_23bc026af0_o.jpg

And the top view:

50870537388_4d4b97e39d_o.jpg

To be continued :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JWM said:

The plate with doors which ends cockpit (I do not have a photo of this part of Lerwick, but I guess there must be some doors...)

Hi Jerzy, maybe not. In this PDF of the Lerwick pilots notes I found on Seawings, the last part of section 1 on the cockpit has a photo of the rear bulkhead of the cockpit covered in switches & stuff, ergonomic it was not. :( I'm guessing the cockpit was accessed by ladder from the wardroom which lay below it according to the plan on this website. Thread on Seawings here might be useful too, if you haven't already seen it. :unsure: They speculate on a hatch on the right side of the pilots seat.

I wonder if a familiar face @dogsbody from that thread might have more info too. :) 

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Jerzy, maybe not. In this PDF of the Lerwick pilots notes I found on Seawings, the last part of section 1 on the cockpit has a photo of the rear bulkhead of the cockpit covered in switches & stuff, ergonomic it was not. :( I'm guessing the cockpit was accessed by ladder from the wardroom which lay below it according to the plan on this website.

Steve.

Stave, many thanks for those links. I think that I already skipped all detailing of fuselage inside, however it is accessible only through small portholes, so in fact nothing is seen. But the cockpit is interesting to put some details, so I appreciate those books (PDFs) - I've seen only few photos from them before...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Amazing work, it looks like a Lerwick already.

As I have had a long interest in this flying boat I have saved quite a bit of Lerwicky stuff.

Amazing interior views posted by stevehnz, I have always wondered what they filled that hull with, basically a holiday boat with wings and guns .......  you can sleep here or here if you prefer ............... and what would you like for breakfast ?

regards, adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

As I have the Contrail kit, currently at the bottom of the stash pile but making siren calls to me, I shall follow this with interest. Some fast progress, too. 

Edited by Heather Kay
Typo. Need proof reader. Apply within.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

622be6c3-8e49-4b83-9406-f1a991d15a6a.jpg

Interesting close up of a Lerwick at anchor in Oban harbour, courtesy of IWM. That house on the island of Kerrera in background was still there in 2007 when we visited Oban. The starboard wing offers a good perch for a gull.

resized_874f9028-4d43-491d-8a7d-098faf42

That house is visible on the island of Kerrera on the left. I took this photo from our hotel room, I spent many times trying to imagine Lerwicks and Sunderlands at anchor. The slipway where Lerwicks and Sunderlands were brought ashore is still in use for boats and is where the boats are in the middle of the photo.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 24/01/2021 at 20:18, JWM said:

I was working those four days on this fuselage using electric saw, cement, Milliput (for massive filling), plastic sheets,  Humbrol putty (for less massive filling) and Tamiya putty (for surface corrections) and of course a lot of sanding. 

you did not mention the cement mixer  ................

• Haha 7

I love a good scratch-build project and this is great!

Ingenious use of the old Sundy fuselage - what do you have up your sleeves for the wings..?

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adey m said:

b4e37f86-b923-41e8-b37a-87836d842cd7.jpg

nothing perhaps  🤔 ...............

This is a temptation... - I was indeed thinking about this option when I found this photo some days ago in net. But  Lerwick  is to nice as complete machine to have it on shelf that I will not go this way :)

3 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Ingenious use of the old Sundy fuselage - what do you have up your sleeves for the wings..?

Tom

Before I will go to wings the above photo proves that front of hull has a different upper  edge profile between Sunderland and Lerwick, so Still I have to modify the profile, The real Lerwick has much straight curve of hull edge then mine Lerwick at the moment. 

On wings: I am now considering two options. In Polish we say "tak krawiec kraje jak mu materiału staje" (Google suggest me similar English idiomatic phrase "one must cut one's coat according to one's cloth") In other words you have to look around what real options are on table. I looked through a cheep kits on Polish market, for example by Masterkit, and not found any real option. Iliushyn DB3F is maybe the closes. I looked through Allegro (Polish variant of e-buy) if someone is selling some large broken suitable model - not successful as yet. The central - rectangle part I will likely do from basis using plastic sheets. The Catalina has such squared central piece, but I do not have any spare piece of Catalina wing and there is no cheep Catalina on market. For the outer parts currently I am considering two options. One is extend and convert it from a  ZTS IL-2 wings, I have two those models in stash for maybe 40 years now, so there is enough "cloth to do this coat". I certainly will not do them as kits to build. So they are designed by me already years ago to be donors for some scratch builds. The other option is Novo/Frog (in fact the rebox by Polish Intech) of Wellington.   But maybe it would be more wise to keep it for future Warwick conversion from Airfix Wellington, what I am sometimes thinking about...

Regards

J-W

• Like 9

1 hour ago, JWM said:

For the outer parts currently I am considering two options.

or a third option is you ask Heather if she will let you have her wings  ......................

• Haha 4

On 1/24/2021 at 8:49 PM, stevehnz said:

Hi Jerzy, maybe not. In this PDF of the Lerwick pilots notes I found on Seawings, the last part of section 1 on the cockpit has a photo of the rear bulkhead of the cockpit covered in switches & stuff, ergonomic it was not. :( I'm guessing the cockpit was accessed by ladder from the wardroom which lay below it according to the plan on this website. Thread on Seawings here might be useful too, if you haven't already seen it. :unsure: They speculate on a hatch on the right side of the pilots seat.

I wonder if a familiar face @dogsbody from that thread might have more info too. :) 

Steve.

just so you know, you entered the cockpit via a hatch on the floor, it is visable in some of the cockpit photos.

there was no door in the rear bulkhead.

paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ludwig113 said:

just so you know, you entered the cockpit via a hatch on the floor, it is visable in some of the cockpit photos.

there was no door in the rear bulkhead.

paul

Thanks, that is what I'd figured looking at the photos in the pilots notes, good to have it confirmed. The scarey thing is, if someone came out with a Lerwick kit at not silly money, I'd grab one in a heart beat, just for that weird cockpit. :)

Steve.

• Like 2