Help with a SAAF Beaufighter

TISO

I'm looking for info serial numbers matched with codes and possible photos of No 16 Squadron SAAF Beaufighters in timeframe of late 1944 till the end of war.

More specificaly i'm searching for info and photos on one specific plane:

No 16 squadron SAAF
Aircraft:
Beufighter code "A" s/n ?????

Crew:
pilot Capt. Weddell
gunner Lt. De Jager
Remark in Weddell's pilot log book for 8th of February 1945:

Attack on rolling stock Šmarje. Direct hit with 6-60lb RP's. Led section of 4 A/CW. Shot down A/CD ditched

From what i gather (as per his son in law) plane was shot down by the guy running under the LH stick of RP's on the photo:

ew38a%2016-smarje-8.2.45.JPG.opt1263x130

feb%20a.JPG.opt1257x913o0,0s1257x913.JPG

Edited by TISO

beaufighter cr.jpg (1024×625) (fritzjohl.yolasite.com)

Well that did not work

There is drawing which gives the serial as NV430

spacer.png

I also have a reference stating that A was NV481 with the name of BOBBIE on the nose. I think I have seen the pic somewhere

Edited by Charlie Hugo

Sweet.

Up until now i got: 

A - NV430 A white, 08.02 1945 hit by light FLAK during attack on rail transport at Šmarje (Slo), AC ditched pilot Cpt Weddell, navigator Lt De Jager

D - KV115 D white, name PAMELAMAX on the nose

G - LZ487

K - LZ336 K white, name on the nose ?????

W - LZ375 21.08.1944 colided with building of power station Zadvarje (Cro) pilot Lt. Russell KIA, navigator Lt. Stansbury KIA

Z - NV139 Z red spinners red

http://saafww2pilots.yolasite.com/rusty-russell.php03019Sqn%20cr.jpg?timestamp=146392988173

SKMBT_C45216032914010.jpg?timestamp=1464

Edited by TISO

• Mike changed the title to Help with a SAAF Beaufighter
1 hour ago, TISO said:

D - KV115 D white, name ?T?ELAMAX

Thanks for the link to that excellent, well-produced documentary. Amongst many other things, I noticed a couple of stills of the above Beaufighter - its name was 'PAMELAMAX'.

8 minutes ago, KevinK said:

Thanks for the link to that excellent, well-produced documentary. Amongst many other things, I noticed a couple of stills of the above Beaufighter - its name was 'PAMELAMAX'.

Corrected now. I just watched it and saw the same with possible strike mission markings on the LH side of the nose (one can only see white "D" on the nose and not s/n) and small wings with "A" for A flight below the nose guncamera which looks like small teeth from the distance or on bad quality photo.

Hello, TISO

In Steven McLean's book Squadrons of the SAAF and their aircraft 1920-2005 the following serial-code letter matches are listed: NE409 (K), NV151 (H) and RD200 (W). Given the serials, both K and W are probably replacements for missing aircraft and in my opinion more likely to be in use in February 1945. Cheers

Jure