Tornado ZA 447 Mig Eater early ops markings

cherisy

Hi

I'm aware there has been some discussion on this forum in the past but can anyone give me a definitive  answer as to whether ZA447 carried the shark mouth markings on the early ops or in fact if any of the Tabuk aircraft did. All the publications and online photos I've found either show aircraft with nose art which I am led to believe only came about after the first few days or no markings at all but with the codes not visible  so I cant confirm which was which.

I did read on here somewhere that some Tabuk aircraft had sharkmouths from the beginning and the only photo I've found was taken 19th Jan with the outlines of a shark mouth and taken from the right.

Any help would be great. Thanks In advance

Just read in "Gulf Graffiti" and it states in here that "during the course of the hostilities the Tornado received some very impressive personal paint jobs, in the form of really outrageous artwork that for many will remain the hallmark of the campaign". Now this does not say that the artwork was applied before the start of the conflict, but does seem to suggest that the artwork was added after the start. Hope that this maybe of some help.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

Just read in "Gulf Graffiti" and it states in here that "during the course of the hostilities the Tornado received some very impressive personal paint jobs, in the form of really outrageous artwork that for many will remain the hallmark of the campaign". Now this does not say that the artwork was applied before the start of the conflict, but does seem to suggest that the artwork was added after the start. Hope that this maybe of some help.

Thats the feeling I was getting looking at what photos there  are of the early JP233 missions  . I was planning on doing Mig Eater at the very beginning  sans artwork using the model decal sheet  .  I had heard somewhere that some had sharks teeth but nothing else .

@cherisy

My personal recollections may help a little.

I went on holiday to Kenya in mid-August 1990 just as Desert Shield was starting and came home (after a fortnight of no internet/tv/radio/newspapers) to pictures on TV and in the newspapers of Tornadoes with nose art. So at least some gulf graffiti was applied before the fighting started and the operation became Desert Storm.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

@cherisy

I went on holiday to Kenya in mid-August 1990 just as Desert Shield was starting and came home (after a fortnight of no internet/tv/radio/newspapers) to pictures on TV and in the newspapers of Tornadoes with nose art. So at least some gulf graffiti was applied before the fighting started and the operation became Desert Storm.

Tornados only operated in Op Granby, Desert Shield/Storm was the American operation for this conflict. Sorry to be a bit pedantic. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Tornados only operated in Op Granby, Desert Shield/Storm was the American operation for this conflict. Sorry to be a bit pedantic. 

The pedant in me applauds, but I would note that there are times when the Desert Storm/Desert Shield terminology is used within the RAF when studying Granby, simply so that people know whether the sorties/mission (particularly if involving the Air Transport or Support Helicopter side of things) we're talking about was pre- or post-Jan 17th. 

It also avoids instances of certain exchange officers looking puzzled as to why the discussion's gone from  the subject of fighting Saddam to a pub in Sleaford to which they were taken upon visiting the fine county of Lincolnshire...

Edited by XV107
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, iainpeden said:

@cherisy

I just wish I'd paid more attention  at the time

Id been out of the RAF about 3 years so had got it (so I thought) out of my system.  I read somewhere that there are photos of Tornados at Tabuk with the shark mouths painted sans any other art work around the 17th Jan. Cant find the photos sadly

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

I have a book called "Gulf Graffiti" and charts the application of the shark mouth. I will have a look tonight, but I think that the only photos concentrate on the shark mouth itself.

Thanks Jabba keep me posted :)

6 hours ago, Sluffer77 said:

John Nichol posted a pic on Twitter the other day with pics from GW1 and Mig Eater does have a sharks mouth 

Brilliant.. many thanks. I'll  see if I can find it. But failing that: sharks mouth but nothing else, obviously mission markings came later 

6 hours ago, Sluffer77 said:

John Nichol posted a pic on Twitter the other day with pics from GW1 and Mig Eater does have a sharks mouth 

I've had a look at John Nicols twitter feed and unless I'm missing  something  the only ones of Mig Eater are her once all the nose art was applied after the JP233 ops. Bugger.

13 hours ago, wombat said:

There is a cheat if you want full nose art and JP233. Many were displayed this way on the air show circuit later in the year, so make that your subject...

Now thats an idea. Like that one. :)

Having looked through the book I mentioned it does not state when the shark mouth was originally applied. It states that "During the course of hostilities the Tornado received some very impressive personal paint jobs, in the form of really outrageous artwork that will for many remain the outstanding hallmark of the campaign". There are however a couple of pictures of ZA447 loaded with JP233 with some mission marks, but with a different shark mouth that we normally associate with this aircraft. It also shows that side of the aircraft that has the art work, but unfortunately the crew ladder is also fitted and I cannot see what is there. Unfortunately due to copyright I do not think that I can put the photos here but if you PM me your e-mail address I will send them on to you if you wish. Hope that this is of some help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jabba said:

Having looked through the book I mentioned it does not state when the shark mouth was originally applied. It states that "During the course of hostilities the Tornado received some very impressive personal paint jobs, in the form of really outrageous artwork that will for many remain the outstanding hallmark of the campaign". There are however a couple of pictures of ZA447 loaded with JP233 with some mission marks, but with a different shark mouth that we normally associate with this aircraft. It also shows that side of the aircraft that has the art work, but unfortunately the crew ladder is also fitted and I cannot see what is there. Unfortunately due to copyright I do not think that I can put the photos here but if you PM me your e-mail address I will send them on to you if you wish. Hope that this is of some help.

Thanks Jabba. PM sent 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...