Ey up from Yorkshire

MisterE

Ow do!

Built an absolute ton of kits in the 70s and 80s, but drifted away from the hobby in subsequent years. I did get into wargaming somewhat, so kept my painting and modelling (to a lesser extent) up to speed.

Now, as a result of lockdown and a midlife crisis (rather than grow a ponytail, get divorced, buy a Harley and date inappropriate women) I'm looking to start making models again. Mainly figures and AFVs, but I might try the occasional aeroplane.

I have acquired some of the old Airfix 54mm Collector Series from eBay, so those are the first projects, but would like to build a diorama for my cousins, whose dad (my uncle) was a proud Coldstream Guardsman depicting members of his old regiment.

I'll post some Works in Progress in the appropriate fora.

Oh, I'm Steve by the way...

Edited by MisterE
Typing
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. Although not a figure modeller, I built some of the Airfix figures in the early 70's and very nice they were and I look forward to seeing them. 

I have lived in Yorkshire for nearly years 50 years, so still an outsider, although Mrs T is a Yorkshire lass

• Haha 3

I'm down in Doncaster.

(Not a comment on my lockdown mental health, merely the fact I'm further South!)

Edited by MisterE
Spacing
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Ey up Steve lad . Welcome from an ancient modeller in Wakefield .

Don .

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, adey m said:

Welcome Steve, I have lived in Yorkshire for 50 years, but cannot shake off my Suffolk, and I am married to a Doncaster lass.

adey

So are you living in Donny then Adey?

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. Although not a figure modeller, I built some of the Airfix figures in the early 70's and very nice they were and I look forward to seeing them. 

I have lived in Yorkshire for nearly years 50 years, so still an outsider, although Mrs T is a Yorkshire lass

Mr T, meet Adey...you appear to be living parallel lives!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, MisterE said:

So are you living in Donny then Adey?

We live in Scarborough Steve, but we regularly visit her family in Doncaster.

adey

12 hours ago, MisterE said:

but I might try the occasional aeroplane.

Nononono!! There are loads of them on here already. I'm sure that they're breeding:giggle:. Anyway, welcome aboard, and it's good to have another AFV modeller join up.

John.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Nononono!! There are loads of them on here already. I'm sure that they're breeding:giggle:. Anyway, welcome aboard, and it's good to have another AFV modeller join up.

John.

I only said might 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Welcome. I'm from Bradford, but being kept prisoner in Nottinghamshire. Send help.

Nothing wrong with  my county of birth, apart from the disappointing football teams. Nottingham was once reputed to have the prettiest girls in England. 

3 hours ago, europapete said:

Welcome Steve, I am from York but have been banished to Rhode Island, USA for riding horses into too many pubs. Was on the last prison boat sent over before the revolution. Regards, Pete in RI

Could have been a shrewd move - I suspect RI is under far less water than York!!

Ey up Steve @MisterE

Good to have another tyke round these parts, especially one that builds armour 👍

25 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Nottingham was once reputed to have the prettiest girls in England. 

Aye but Robin Hood was still a Yorkshireman! 😀

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Ey up Steve @MisterE

Good to have another tyke round these parts, especially one that builds armour 👍

Aye but Robin Hood was still a Yorkshireman! 😀

Regards,

Steve

Yes, yes he bloody was!!  Sherwood Forest my *#!$!!  Far more evidence for Barnsdale Forest!!

Ahem, so you found one of my pet rants then?  😁

• Haha 2

Welcome to the site! youll find a wealth of banter, knowledge, and tips on this forum!

Was doing some site surveys up on the North Yorkshire Moors last week! Quite beautiful up there, but also surprisingly desolate! Stick a Yurt on the horizon and you could be fooled for thinking your on the Mongolian steppes! 

26 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Ey up Steve @MisterE

Well, this far, the armour is a part-assembled Italeri Panzer IV in braille-scale, but it's a start... 🙂

• Like 1

Aye Steve , he was ! . As a young lad , I think it was in 1938  I was taken to see his grave in the grounds of Kirklees Priory ,

near Huddersfield . ( Wrong forum ? ) , he could sure make an arrow fly !.

Don .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Welcome to the site! youll find a wealth of banter, knowledge, and tips on this forum!

Was doing some site surveys up on the North Yorkshire Moors last week! Quite beautiful up there, but also surprisingly desolate! Stick a Yurt on the horizon and you could be fooled for thinking your on the Mongolian steppes! 

Aye lad, it's desolate and we like it that way! 😁

• Haha 2

As Robin Hood probably never existed as a single individual, I never believed in him even when I still lived there. 

Having lived in Yorkshire for most of past 49 years, you do have to be proud of your own origins to avoid being swamped by the whole Yorkshireness of the place. 

BTW, Sherwood Forest at its greatest extent is reckoned to have straddled the original border between Nottinghamshire and the West Riding. There have been numerous changes to the county boundary, most recently in 1974 when amongst other places Finningley found itself in South Yorkshire. 

Which annoyed me no end, as the village I lived in near Finningley (walking distance to the annual air show) suddenly found itself in North Nottinghamshire!