1/72 Aeroclub Gloster Gamecock

Hi folks,

I built Aeroclub's lovely little Gamecock about 20 years ago, finished it in 43 Sqn markings from the kit's superb decal sheet and rigged it with invisible thread. Three house moves later it was looking very sorry for itself, relegated to a cardboard box in the shed and with parts broken off.

I recently decided to salvage it, especially as it fits right into my current interest in between-the-wars RAF biplanes. It was stripped to its component parts and restarted almost from scratch. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the kit, it has injection-moulded wings, tail surfaces and fuselage with white metal nose, engine, prop and detail parts:

20210124_163941

The soft white metal interplane struts were replaced with brass strut stock and the one-piece kit wheels were replaced with Aeroclub hubs and rubber O-ring tyres. The windscreen was cut from acetate and brass tube was used to represent the guns:

20210124_163916

I was able to salvage the 23 Sqn markings from the tattered remnants of the original kit decal sheet but had to print my own serials:

20210124_163856

I used Humbrol aerosol Polished Aluminium and Tamiya Ocean Grey for the finish, matted after decal application by a brushed, thinned coat of Humbrol Matt Cote. The prop was given a wood effect using burnt sienna oil paint over a tan base. The rigging was made using EZ Line.

20210124_163823

Some parts are a bit agricultural - a competition model it certainly isn't! - but I'm satisfied with the result, especially as it's less than 3 1/2 inches long. I've also just realised that I haven't finished the tail skid! Oh well...

Jon

• Like 33

Very nice indeed! Great renovation .

Since Aeroclub kit is available I think only on secondary market please let me add that there is also another Gamecock kit in 1/72 by Broplan, fully injected short run (not vacu, as could be expected for that company...). There are resin kits as well...(Choroszy, CMR)

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

The O ring idea is ingenious.

I thought that, when it was suggested to me by @John Aero himself. I can't claim any credit.

40 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Good to see these again

I really like those Aeroclub multi-media 1/72 biplane kits - great subjects that require a bit of effort bit can be made into very presentable models.

34 minutes ago, JWM said:

there is also another Gamecock kit in 1/72 by Broplan

I didn't know that, J-W. Thanks for the information - I may have to consider getting one sometime.

Jon

1 hour ago, Jonners said:

I didn't know that, J-W. Thanks for the information - I may have to consider getting one sometime.

Jon

Jon, you welcome :) . If you are interesting my attempt of build it is here

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your generous comments, folks. I've also just remembered that I meant to add the prominent pale tapes to the struts, as well as the pitot assembly! Perhaps it isn't quite as Ready For Inspection as I thought...

Excellent re-build of a lovely little kit Jonners and you should be really pleased with how that one turned out. I hope all is well in your neck of the woods and that you are staying safe - We are in God's Own Country down here in Oz and have started to have club meetings and even a show in the next few weeks. Getting plenty of plastic over the bench but can't be bothered stuffing around with third party servers when it comes to posting images so I am just a looker-onner on BM I'm afraid. Prefer the simpler OZ-based site, but always keep an eye on the great work that you chaps in Britain are producing.

• Like 1

Cheers @Horatio Gruntfuttock, great to hear from you again! All is well, thanks; apparently there's a bug going round but I and my family have managed to avoid it so far. Very glad to hear that you're well. Club meetings and shows? Blimey, people here look nervous if you pass them in the street! (Those who aren't attending illegal raves and parties, that is.) There's nothing wrong with being a 'looker-onner'; I spend more than enough time doing it myself and being amazed at what other BM'ers are able to produce!

Jon

3 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

i also have the 1.48th version which has all Vac components

Thanks Keith. I'd love go havs a serious go at one of the 1/48 Aeroclub interwar kits, but they're like rocking horse proverbial with prices to match! About 20 years ago I bought a Demon kit from John's stand at a model show (I think I bought this Gamecock at the same time) but, probably overawed by the idea of building a serious vacform kit, I sadly never finished it and somewhere along the way it ended up on the great Shelf of Doom in the sky. I still have the bag of metal parts but, now that the thought of vacforms no longer gives rise to nervous tics, I wish I still had the whole kit!

I hear you Jon , your right about Aeroclub kits being pricey , i am lucky enough to have a Gamecock and Grebe in my collection , i also have the Gauntlet

which i am using as reference to convert a Gladiator into a Gauntlet ( i look upon my Aeroclub Gauntlet as a fine wine from the cellar to be savored one day ) As for the Demon we are now blessed with one from AMG , although boxed as a Heart i think many variants can be built from the kit including a Demon .  :like:

• Like 1

Just taken delivery of a CMR Gamecock as I couldn't find an Aeroclub one ( then one popped up on e-bay the day it arrived ! ) Hope it looks as good as yours

Just completing the Aeroclub Gauntlet ( sorry Keith ) and Airfix Gladiator

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JagRigger said:

Just taken delivery of a CMR Gamecock as I couldn't find an Aeroclub one ( then one popped up on e-bay the day it arrived ! ) Hope it looks as good as yours

Just completing the Aeroclub Gauntlet ( sorry Keith ) and Airfix Gladiator

Damm  😬