Badger's 1/72 Revell M997 Maxi Ambulance

badger

Afternoon all,

As the M60A1 build is proceeding nicely, and we have until May, I thought I'd enter a second build.

20210124_152406

This will be the Revell 1/72 HMMWV M997 Ambulance as there are Gulf War decals in the box.

20210124_152441

The only addition may be a set of Calibre 72 resin wheels, although these have nice tread pattern they are excessively "sagged" and look flat so I need to try and reduce this a bit as otherwise they just look daft.

More soon

Ben

• Like 6

OOH!!!  I love a good ambulance - I'll be sure to follow this one...

ambx.jpg

...I surprised myself there - 5 ambulances on the shelf.

Does us proud Ben - Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BIG X said:

OOH!!!  I love a good ambulance - I'll be sure to follow this .

Does us proud Ben - Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for this mate and a cracking collection you have there.

This one is coming along very nicely so far. I've built a couple of the Revell Hmmwvs in the past and they go together nicely with a little bit of care.

The main ambulance body is together with just one part left to fit.

20210124_171357

The chassis is also coming along well, will need to leave the two sections separate so I can paint the interior. 

More soon 

Ben

• Like 5

12 hours ago, CliffB said:

That's a neat little kit Ben.  A nice choice.

11 hours ago, Jabba said:

Something different and a good start.

Thanks chaps.

I've not long had these kits having been looking for them for a while. I was doing some stash mining to see what other gulf war kits I had and they caught my eye.

Been quite a nice build so far. Will finish off the M60 so it's ready for paint then get back to this.

Ben

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Courageous said:

Who's a busy man.

Stuart

Sadly not had much time for this build recently. Need to get back to it as the M60 is currently stalled waiting for it to warm up in my garage before I can airbrush it

Time for a massive amount of progress!

I've have had a couple of hours on this tonight and have moved it along significantly.

First job was to add all the suspension, axles, drive shafts and exhaust. This was rather fiddly and required a decent set of tweezers to help things along.

20210204_223023

Once that was all done, my attention turned to the interior and the seats and front and rear firewalls were fitted. 

20210204_223013

The bonnet got its grille and was attached to the chassis, along with the rear bumper (I have plans for the front). I then added the last piece to the ambulance body and dry fitted this to the chassis.

20210204_223131

I then had a play with the Calibre 72 wheels. I've sanded down the excessive sagging effect and will add some putty to the bottoms to stop them looking so flat.

To be honest they are pretty rubbish and if it wasn't for the rather nice (and far more accurate) tread pattern I'd use the kit ones instead. I've had to drill the fitting holes out slightly as they are too small to accept the Revell axles. Sadly I did break through the hub on one so this will need repairing once its fitted.

20210204_223031

The last major job is to fit the windscreen, which a dry fit shows to be problematic. I'll leave this for another day then!

More soon

Ben

• Like 5

22 hours ago, BIG X said:

MASSIVE!!!!

15 hours ago, John Masters said:

Looks very cool.  I cannot wait to see it with some colour and weather...

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

You have certainly done good progress 👍

Thanks for looking in chaps.

I need to progress this one some more as the Panzer III GB starts this weekend and I have a major conversion / kitbash planned for that.

There isn't too much more to do on this before I'll need to get some paint on it. Interior and underneath will be green whereas the outside is sand so there'll need to be some careful masking action.

More some

Ben

• Like 3

Not being very happy with Revell's heavy handed approach to the mesh on the bull bar I thought I would attempt to make my own, as this seemed easier than trying to clean up the kit part.

It's slightly wonky at the moment but thats down to the thinness of the plastic strip, and will hopefully sort itself out when i put the other bars in. 

20210205_231945

I then have some fine mesh I can add to the appropriate sections.

More soon

Ben

• Like 2

Had another go at the bullbar as wasn't too happy with the first attempt. 

Much better. Still needs the horizontal pieces adding yet.

20210206_001518

Also liberally applied some filler to the bottoms of the tyres to try and remove the ridiculously overdone sagged effect.

More soon

Ben

• Like 3

Wheels have been cleaned up attached. Look much better in my opinion for having the sagging effect much reduced..

20210206_223628

This photo gives an indication of the work that went into them, but I am very pleased to note it sits square on all four wheels!!

20210206_223648

The blank tread won't be visible when its on its base and in some sand.

More soon

Ben

• Like 5

Thanks Stuart - it is indeed. This will get a simple sand base and I have a couple of preiser figures to go with it.

Small amount of progress tonight as the wind screen is now on and I've added the steering wheel and gear lever to complete the interior.

Not much more to do and it'll be ready for paint.

Ben

• Like 2

On 10/02/2021 at 07:18, Jabba said:

Nice work in getting the wheel looking a lot better than the aftermarket ones. Coming along very well.

Thanks - I was happy enough with them, which is good as I have two more sets in the stash!!

Little bit of progress tonight as the doors are now on and the interior is ready to be primed and sprayed green.

More soon

Ben