Star Wars Imperial Lambda Class Shuttle 1/60

Thanks Hunter & Moggy… truly humbled by those comments 🙈

It is a beast even though I say so myself, definitely not a ‘Scale Model’ in the sense of what everyone else does. A lot of poetic license taken on this build which for all intents & purposes is actually just scenery for my wargames antics. Always loved the Lambda Shuttle so I’m basically fulfilling a childhood dream as a side line to the scenery. 

Just wish I had a few more of the right tools, I’m making do with what I have atm but I’m satisfied it’s coming together nicely. 

As always, thanks for looking 🤓

• Like 1

Another quickie got a 4am start tomorrow...

Just finished the underside of the hull, almost... (Landing gear doors and hole for flight stand to do)

50930503167_fcbc71f140_z.jpg

50930373271_5623cd741c_z.jpg

Pretty pleased with myself really; I managed to get that done in about 4 hrs... still loads to do but it's feeling more real as the tasks are checked off 💪🏻

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, 

Just thought I’d pop on and give an update. 

Not a lot has changed, I’m made the second nacelle for the main hull and started to fix them to the upper hull. I’m adding some details to the nacelles as well as the surrounding area on the upper hull portion. I’ve added a bit of detailing to the front of the cockpit the ‘chin’ area under the front grill but mostly I’ve been sanding! Followed by more filling and more sanding… did I mention I’ve been sanding 😬

I’ve also made a start on the rear corners, I’ve been putting it off as it’s vexing me but I really need to tackle this area now… 

Can’t upload the images atm need to get on my computer I think.  

I’ll upload the images this weekend for those that are interested 😉

On 19/02/2021 at 16:51, HerrUther said:

Hey all, 

Just thought I’d pop on and give an update. 

Not a lot has changed, I’m made the second nacelle for the main hull and started to fix them to the upper hull. I’m adding some details to the nacelles as well as the surrounding area on the upper hull portion. I’ve added a bit of detailing to the front of the cockpit the ‘chin’ area under the front grill but mostly I’ve been sanding! Followed by more filling and more sanding… did I mention I’ve been sanding 😬

I’ve also made a start on the rear corners, I’ve been putting it off as it’s vexing me but I really need to tackle this area now… 

Can’t upload the images atm need to get on my computer I think.  

I’ll upload the images this weekend for those that are interested 😉

As promised, better late than never 😬

50966730673_c9d790661a_c.jpg

50966730653_fa384c069a_c.jpg

50966730633_9a6f1a20c3_c.jpg

50966730513_142b7543b5_c.jpg

50967541217_4c9206b4f6_c.jpg

50967434621_2fa0b6b6b6_c.jpg

Slow progress but better than no progress,

As always thanks for looking 🤓

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

So been chipping away at the Lambda adding extra panel details, some gribblies here and there and trying to correct the shoddy workmanship of yours truly 🥴

As you can see I've completed the panels on the upper hull just after the nascels and tidied up the edges as best I could on the rear fairings.

51005700916_7b18e47837_c.jpg

51005700936_080d466e7c_c.jpg

The more eagleeyed will notice that I've attempted the dreaded corners... now I know its not as per the actual model but it was just beyond my abilites to get it like the real thing so I compromised... I hope the pureists forgive my poetic license 😬

51005810967_131cdede31_c.jpg

This corner is still WiP

51005810987_8d50e4a374_c.jpg

Speaking of shoddy workmanship... the cockpit was drooping a little due to it being a poor fit so I've added some support and made a feature of it...

51005811057_c02b14e205_c.jpg

I've also started to detail the neck and add some panels to hide the poor fitting into the hull...

51005000358_49415c5c43_c.jpg

51005811027_d8278f2dab_c.jpg

Still loads to do but I think my elaborate 'hill/terrain piece' is coming along nicely. I know its isn't an exact scale model merely a poetic license representation but its finally coming to life.

Need some advice on making a stand for when its in flight mode... I've got a 6mm brass rod inside as a receiver but unsure how to make the actual base of the stand?

• Like 7

Looking good. It may not be a perfect replica, as you say, but, it is immediately obvious what it is. 

For the base of the stand, most craft stores have simple pine boards with a routed edge. A little sanding, some stain and varnish, drill a hole for the support rod and done and dusted.

Matt

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Matt Parvis said:

Looking good. It may not be a perfect replica, as you say, but, it is immediately obvious what it is. 

For the base of the stand, most craft stores have simple pine boards with a routed edge. A little sanding, some stain and varnish, drill a hole for the support rod and done and dusted.

Matt

Thanks Matt… I’ll have a goosey at that once this craziness stops I’ll look at that. 

It is definitely obvious for sure but still want it to look closer to it… it’s my first attempt so I’m giving myself some leeway 😂🤣

Excellent work, It's going to be a great model when you are done, and from what I can tell build in a similar way to the studio model.  I think you nailed the cockpit profile, that front shot looks about perfect.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TristanR said:

Excellent work, It's going to be a great model when you are done, and from what I can tell build in a similar way to the studio model.  I think you nailed the cockpit profile, that front shot looks about perfect.

Thanks appreciate the moral support 😬

It’s coming along nicely, still got some greeblies to do on the underside of the cockpit and the two vanes on the underside. Going to do a bit on the ramp underside too. Still got to figure out the landing gear doors, taking inspiration from real world on that one… 

The only real challenge left, besides the painting of it, is I want to add some vertical vanes to the engine area. I should have probably thought about it whilst building that area but I guess it’s all a learning curve 😂🤣

I need to get may Legion Emperor & Vader painted for the inevitable RFI 😱😱

Edited by HerrUther
  • Like 1

Evening all...

Been another slow week but made some progress on the underside of the cockpit and 'neck' area for the little beastie. I did bite the bullet last week and ordered a set of modelling sanding sticks... I'm so pleased with them. Wish I'd got them sooner but they are helping me get a better finish still even at this late stage in the build.

Not a lot of information out there that I can see regarding this area of the Lambda and what is out there seems to differ greatly. So I've decided to combine some elements I liked form different sources and add a few of my own; I mean who says these things aren't modified during their life cycles?

I made some grills at the top of the image below from some packing spacers and 'L' angle styrene, pleased how they turned out tbh.

I added some panels underneath with some gribblies to try and break up the expanse of flat white I was faced with and tie the ship surfaces together. Also I needed a thumb hold to pull the ramp down with more ease but had to somehow desguise that (still wotking on that). Added some gribblies to cover the joints between the cockpit and neck then started on some more detailed panelling, I wanted these to look a bit like access panels so I've drilled some shallow holes (please ignore where I slipped when I sneezed 🥴)

Still got a few more panels and gribblies I want to add but conscious I don't want to over do it.

51037023492_be363ce003_c.jpg

Is it me or does it now look like a manta ray 👀🤣😂

Any how I hope you like this weeks slow progress and as always, thanks for looking 🤓

PS: Need some input on the base colour. They always look white but I was thinking of a very pale off white/grey as a base colour? Comments and suggestions would be appreciated 👍🏻

• Like 8

It's looking fantastic so far. The original studio model was a very pale grey, probably Floquil reefer white. My favoirite colour for those grey-but-almost-white Star Wars ships is Gunze FS 36622 USAF Grey. You can get it in the lacquer range as C-311, and in the Aqueous range as H-311. It's the perfect pale grey/off white shade to my eye, and very close to reefer white.

Given the size of the model though, it may be better to get the Archive X reefer white, which comes in larger 30ml bottles. Those paints are quite expensive though, so a few bottles of Gunze would still work our cheaper.

Andy:cat:

8 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

It's looking fantastic so far. The original studio model was a very pale grey, probably Floquil reefer white. My favoirite colour for those grey-but-almost-white Star Wars ships is Gunze FS 36622 USAF Grey. You can get it in the lacquer range as C-311, and in the Aqueous range as H-311. It's the perfect pale grey/off white shade to my eye, and very close to reefer white.

Given the size of the model though, it may be better to get the Archive X reefer white, which comes in larger 30ml bottles. Those paints are quite expensive though, so a few bottles of Gunze would still work our cheaper.

Andy:cat:

Thanks Andy, I’ll have a look at these colours. I’m trying to stick to acrylics as much as possible due to it being my first venture with airbrushing. 

Hey all...

So it's been a while, had a bit of a rubbish time with rl recently; upside is I have managed to get some of the Lambda done.

Finished the cockpit underside and neck portion now...

50997644535_587dca75ab_c.jpg

51081447696_dba3971c01_c.jpg

51066834106_a9cde3a535_c.jpg

Made a start on the engine vanes and finished them, also started on the landing gear doors...

51081540512_9f158cee95_c.jpg

51081540537_f92f7016a0_c.jpg

I've completed the the hull mounted lasers, they will cover the insertion points for the brass rods that will hold the port & starboard fins to the hull. This is a dry fit so please ignore the cables...

51081447951_0b968b2e12_c.jpg

51012261080_0bb8d91dc4_c.jpg

51081448871_020326de62_c.jpg

51012261055_b736c73fae_c.jpg

51081448856_1582e1c126_c.jpg

51081539182_ae30b860f3_c.jpg

I'd love to get a picture of her in flight mode but without the brass rods the port & starboard fins wont stay in place long enough. Also I havent made the opening for the flight mode support rod yet 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm currently working on the fin mounted laser whic will swivel (hopefully), then there,s a bit more detailing to do on the rear upper hull bulkhead where ther rear lasers are housed. Once these few bits are done that'll be the actual build completed 🥳

The next step will be to undercoat and figuring out how to paint the beast, this part will take a bit more time I fear 😂🤣

All comments and advice welcome and as always, thanks for looking 🤓

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all not been working on the Lambda for a while had an issue at work and been off for a few weeks 🙈

Hopefully I’ll get back in the seat and get the fin cannons finished to complete the build side of it… still waiting on a few items for my airbrush before I can paint it.

Thanks for looking 🤓

• Like 1