Airfix's new 1/72 Spitfire Vc Trop

IanC

I recently finished Airfix's new 1/72 Spitfire Vc. After agonising over various Malta schemes I decided to use the kit decals for a USAAF 31st FG aircraft based in Algeria during the Tunisian campaign, flown by Captain Albert Holloway of the 307th FS. I'm not really keen on the sharkmouth, so I chose to represent the aircraft before it was painted on! 

The kit itself goes together well although I had to fill a fairly big gap at the wing roots. Cockpit detail is excellent - I just added some Eduard etched straps. My one major complaint is the thickness of the sliding canopy so I replaced it with a spare one from an Eduard Spitfire. I may replace this later with a vac-form one as it still doesn't sit properly. Airfix suggest painting out the starboard roundel but photos suggest the Americans often repainted these areas to blend in with the camouflage, so I went with that for a neater look.

Hope you like it. As ever, all comments gratefully received!   

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally a shot with the old Italeri Mk Vb Trop which I made many moons ago:

spacer.png

• Like 70

51 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

I like it Ian. It turned out very nice. :like:  Thanks for the brief review as well.  I look forward to this kit becoming available in the U.S. 

Mike

Thanks Mike. You'll enjoy sticking this one together. I've been reading a few reviews and while some have complained about the sloppy wing to fuselage fit, others have had no problems. Someone suggested it might be related to how tightly you stick the fuselage sides to the cockpit tub. Whatever, it's not a big deal. I do think the canopy is a bit of a let down though. Not sure what happened there. But I'm planning on doing another one soon, this time a Malta Spit in blue. 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IanC said:

it might be related to how tightly you stick the fuselage sides to the cockpit tub.

Interesting about your fuselage to wing fit. I'm doing one of these at the moment, and the fit on mine was nigh-on perfect. BUT.....as you've alluded, I sort of ignored the instructions and glued the cockpit sidewalls to the fuselage halves rather than building up the tub.

If anyone goes down this route, just a word of caution. You need to be careful with the alignment of the cockpit sidewalls, otherwise the bulkheads/frames don't go in properly and the fuselage won't close properly.....

Glue one sidewall to its fuselage half first, then dry fit the frames and second sidewall. Dry fit the second fuselage half, then glue the second sidewall to the second fuselage half. Hope that makes sense!

Great looking Spit, and it looks good without the shark mouth.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 2

That's a lovely job on your Spit, Ian -

I don't normally build WW2 monoplanes (WW1 and other biplanes are my interest) but you work has tempted me to look at this kit myself.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

Good modelling.

I had the wing root gap thing on mine too, oh well, it's not the first Spitfire kit that's needed a bit of filler there. Other than that, no problems. I'll buy another.

Regarding the canopy, injection moulding is not going to produce an in-scale sliding section for a Spitfire. Airfix had a go: some will be happy because it provides an opportunity to show off the nice detail in the 'pit, others will choose the perfectly good closed-up part. For the best of both worlds, use vacform. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent!  The Vc is my favourite Spitfire variant, so I do hope to acquire a few examples of this kit.

If my efforts turn out near as good as yours, I will be well pleased.

👍👍

• Thanks 1

@Sky Keg: the The Big Haitch will happily ship to you, I've two wending their leisurely way to Florida as we speak.  

Won't be long now until I get to go hands-on with one, so thanks for the tease Ian.  Lovely job you did on yours, look forward to seeing your interpretation of a Malta Spit.  😎 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Lovely job you did on yours, look forward to seeing your interpretation of a Malta Spit.  😎 

Thank you. I think my interpretation is going to be a simple one. It'll either be Extra Dark Sea Grey or Dark Mediterranean Blue on top. Probably 249 Sqn. If I can, I'll find an aircraft with the cannon in the inboard position too!  Ridiculous I know, but after researching the subject again and wading through the various theories I decided to shelve the idea this time round....😄  

42 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely looking Spit, I agree with you, that sharkmouth just looks daft on a Spitfire ! 

Wulfman

Thanks. Yes, certainly on a Mk Vc with that Vokes filter. However, I must admit the shark effect works quite well on some of the Aussie 457 Sqn Mk VIIIs in the south-west Pacific - if it's painted correctly!   

Vert nicely done.   I have just got the kit and on first inspection of the parts I am a bit disappointed with the prop spinners and the cockpit bulkhead frame looks to be undersized when comparing with other brand kits! In fact the whole cockpit looks too small inside. Also the tail wheel leg looks a bit fat while the detail on the main wheels are quite feint. I still think the original Airfix Mark V had a much better propeller had a much better spinner.  If and when I make a start on this kit I will dig out a spare Airfix prop from the older kit and use that. Not sure what I will do about the cockpit.

• Thanks 1

Surely the narrow cockpit is an inevitable result of the cockpit tub producing a double wall, in what was always a narrow cockpit even at real wall thicknesses let alone the "thick wall" inherent in the use of plastic?  I think that this is one of the "clever ideas" showing a fresh approach that isn't so clever after all.  Current Airfix plastic tends to be thicker than that of other manufacturers anyway, which doesn't help.