Italeri 1/72nd scale Warthog...A big gun with a plane attached...

On 2/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, Jabba said:

real distinction between the colours.

Thanks Jabba.  I do like the grey...

On 2/10/2021 at 7:34 PM, modelling minion said:

Really nice work mate

Thanks Craig!

I will try to add some decals today.  There are a shed-load of technical stencils for the ordinance and the pylons.  This are the most difficult and persnickety.

50938067782_13ed8449a2_c_d.jpg

50937269303_a3ef31d003_c_d.jpg

50937269263_e6afb28c3c_c_d.jpg

Then I will move on to the fuselage, etc...There is still some assembly.  I have to paint and finish the cockpit and canopy; the landing gear needs to be painted, assembled and attached...lots of touch-up painting around the motors...varnishing, FloryWash...Maybe Tuesday for an ETA?

--John

• Like 4

I have no idea why I added the decals for the underwing pylons.  You cannot see them even if you are looking at them.  I assume on the grey-painted aircraft they would be more visible.  But I did.  They are there.  The yellow stripe around the bomb (and soon the Mavericks) was a nice decal touch.

This is what's left...

50939173937_45b7fac3c4_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

Just a sneak peek.  I am almost done.  I just need to give it a little pin wash and maybe some Flory in selected areas.  This is really a nice kit and I recommend it.  A fun kit to build.  Very satisfying.

50944118812_593107ed32_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

I have come to dislike the tail flash/rudder decals supplied by the manufacturers.  Wherever possible I will attempt to paint them instead.  The decals never fit right.  Paint always fits.  To that end I painted the red tops of the vertical stabilizers yesterday and this morning I masked off the bottom bit for the white stripes.  

50945432817_a5d693793c_c_d.jpg

Looks ok.  

50944632373_4c43770724_c_d.jpg

Whatever weather you folks had up north in the UK and Europe has descended upon us down here.  Winter has returned and it is raw, windy, cold and rainy and predicted to be so through the week.  Fine modelling weather!  I will add some exhaust stain and a bit of weathering to this one today and put it into the gallery.  I think the Su-17/22 is next...

--John

• Like 4

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

ill fitting decals.

Just tired of wrangling those things.  Thanks Craig!  Your Mi-24 is also very nice.

7 hours ago, Jabba said:

Good work on the colours on the fin tips.

Thanks Jabba...

You know, I don't have to wonder why no one else but the USA ever flew these aircraft.  If you were the DoD would you want anyone else to get their hands on one of these machines?  I think not!  

"Sure Mr. SoAndSo...buy our the F-15,F-16...F-22...etc....You want an A-10?  Hahahaha! In your dreams buster..."

To that end, it would make an excellent 'WhatIf' subject.  

Also...Imagine for a moment you're flying along in your Su-22/Mig-21, or any helicopter you can think of, and this thing pops up behind you?  Pray to whatever god you believe in and kiss your butt goodbye...

Chopper Popper...

50945705468_5e98fb9174_c_d.jpg

Bigger than the Frogfoot too...

50946504437_5e8f47bdba_c_d.jpg

There are more in the gallery...😀

--John

• Like 8

On 15/02/2021 at 17:58, John Masters said:

It was fun build and I recommend the kit.

Yep, I think you've convinced me 👍

I recall reading about when the A10s turned up to the War Games event, Red Flag, is it? 

Bit of a laughing stock and all the Top Gun types thought it was funny. 

Till the action started and they realised it could turn "on a dime" and suddenly they were looking down the 9 barrels of a gun that tears armoured tanks apart for a living. Imagine a plane taking a burst from that. 😶

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition

3 hours ago, Bbdave said:

what clear coats did you use? If any brushed/sprayed.

Thanks Bbdave...No clear coats sprayed.  Vallejo Air for the paints and once the decals are all on some Vallejo Satin Varnish diluted with water and brush painted.  Then a little bit of pin wash with black//brown oils on selected areas, wiped off with an ear bud.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Thanks Bbdave...No clear coats sprayed.  Vallejo Air for the paints and once the decals are all on some Vallejo Satin Varnish diluted with water and brush painted.  Then a little bit of pin wash with black//brown oils on selected areas, wiped off with an ear bud.  

Thank you clear coats are my nemesis i may try without on my next build.

Dave

10 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

clear coats are my nemesis

I find the Vallejo Satin is easy to use.  I dilute a few drops with some water and brush a thin layer once the decals are all dry.  It protects them when I use the ear bud on pin wash or Florywash.  It's certainly easier than using air brush paints.  Try it out.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I find the Vallejo Satin is easy to use.  I dilute a few drops with some water and brush a thin layer once the decals are all dry.  It protects them when I use the ear bud on pin wash or Florywash.  It's certainly easier than using air brush paints.  Try it out.

I will give it a go 👍.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Well, John, I have an A10 done up in light greys and looking something like it. My plan A is for the Blacksnakes Indiana ANG which unfortunately disqualifies it for the Gulf War action. 

But that's OK, it's the scheme I've been wanting to do on one of these for a while. 

She's up on her legs and standing but by Jove it's a job getting an A10 to lean on the front wheel, isn't it ⁉️😬

Worse perhaps, than a Canberra?? 

Maybe a scale gun installation moulded in depleted uranium should be included in the kit so it can be installed in the nose. 

👍

• Haha 1