RAF Sabre (using Matchbox Sabre A) help

phat trev

Searching Sabre post content on BM, there are some stunning builds and references and they have inspired me to open a classic Matchbox Sabre.

But..what versions of Sabre can be made with the 1/72 Matchbox kit? This is understandably the only scale ‘A’ (or the RCAF only Mk 1). Would an RAF Mk 2 conversion be possible with this kit?

Also,

Did the RAF use a camo over high speed silver? or did they all have blue undersides?

cheers

@phat trev I'd say avoid the Matchbox kit: it really is wrong just about everywhere. It says it's an F-86A but it's a caricature. The windshield is completely wrong, so it still won't be a good source of spares to do a Sabre Mk.2 or F-86A. So I'd say go for the Fujimi or Hobbycraft kits. Or Airfix or even Heller. Not very helpful I know, but since most RAF Sabres were Mk.4s, the Matchbox kit isn't a good starting point, especially as it's not really a good starting point for anything. 

The few RAF Sabre 2s were NMF, and wore pretty bland schemes. However, if you do an RAF Sabre 4 you have a LOT of options. Fighter Command Sabres (66 and 92 Sqns) had silver-painted undersides, so that would be the way to go.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phat trev said:

But..what versions of Sabre can be made with the 1/72 Matchbox kit? This is understandably the only scale ‘A’ (or the RCAF only Mk 1). Would an RAF Mk 2 conversion be possible with this kit?

The main point is the Matchbox 'A'  does not have the 'all flying' tail of the later Sabres (MK2, Mk4 and subsequent).   I once considered marrying the Heller Sabre aft section to the front fuselage of a Matchbox 'A'.   That idea didn't last long.

Tony

5 hours ago, phat trev said:

So what constitutes as Mk2 ? As well as the ‘all flying’ tail?

A Sabre Mk2 is the same as an early F-86E-5   It has a Vee shaped windscreen, slatted short-chord wing, powered 'all-flying' tail.

Later; Sabre Mk2s were re-winged with the 6-3 hard edge wing and given to Greece and Turkey.

I got my Sabre Mk2 with an Airfix Mk4, a Scobie resin wing and a Pavla windscreen;

uAkP3P2.jpg

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2021 at 3:39 PM, MigModeller said:

When the Matchbox Sabre was release it was improved by replacing the wings with those from the Airfix F-86D according to one of the modelling magazines,

Thoughts anyone?

F-86A please Mr Airfix!

The Airfix F-86D wing is not much better than the Matchbox wing.   I don't know what can be gained from that swap.

Tony

• Like 1

According to the "Modelers' Guide to the Sabre & Fury" by Jay Sherlock, one way to get an A model F-86 is to attach the rear section of the Matchbox A to the front of the Academy "F-86E"/Hobbycraft Sabre Mk. 6.  That still leaves the wings to be modified to the original narrow wings.  Instead of the Airfix F-86D wing, you could always try the Hasegawa D wing instead.  Yes, a new tooled F-86A would be rather welcome.

Later,

Dave

4 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

I have Matchbox kit buried somwhere deep down in my stash. IIRC rear fuselage is too narrow so exhaust is not circular, but oval. While this flaw can be corrected, obviously I would prefer new decent kit. Cheers

Jure

This is the crux: though badged as an 'F-86A', whichever way you use the Matchbox kit, you end up with parts that are the wrong shape/size etc and lack detail. I really would avoid using the Matchbox kit. Anyway you need an RAF Sabre 4, so there are a few far better starting points, like combining Fujimi or Hobbycraft with the wings from the Hasegawa F-86D. If you get the Fujimi F-86F-40 you can then use the 'spare' wings on the F-86D to make an F-86L! Two accurate models from two different start points.

Or go for a kit with the 6-3 wing and depending on which a/c you choose, you could do a broad-chord RAF Sabre. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, e8n2 said:

According to the "Modelers' Guide to the Sabre & Fury" by Jay Sherlock, one way to get an A model F-86 is to attach the rear section of the Matchbox A to the front of the Academy "F-86E"/Hobbycraft Sabre Mk. 6.  That still leaves the wings to be modified to the original narrow wings.  Instead of the Airfix F-86D wing, you could always try the Hasegawa D wing instead.  Yes, a new tooled F-86A would be rather welcome.

Later,

Dave

I attempted to marry a Matchbox rear section to a HobbyCraft front section.  They were so far out of sync that the project was quickly binned and the result was a Heller speed brake section married into the Matchbox aft section.  The Hasegawa 'D'  wing is better, but still has the slats in the closed position.

YMMV, Tony

Hi Trev , I was stationed at Dyce in `55 and as part of our B of B display an RAF Sabre came over from Germany ,

it was grey / green above and a rather oil streaked PR blue below . ( If this helps ) .

Don .

• Thanks 1