A pair of PNG bush planes

I'm going to build a pair of bush planes operated in Papua New Guinea in the 60s. At that time PNG was administered by Australia and there were several Australian operators flying there. Air travel is still essential in PNG - it's the only way to get to some towns and villages, even the capital (Port Moresby) isn't connected to any other town by road. Hence light STOL transport types are essential - when I briefly visited PNG for work a few years ago there were far more of these, and helicopters, at the airport than there were airliners.

First up will be a Qantas DHC-3 Otter using the Hobbycraft 1/72 kit and Hawkeye decals:

Hobbycraft Otter

The other one will be an Ansett-MAL Noorduyn Norseman. Decals for this one will be custom-printed:

Matchbox Norseman

The 'MAL' in Ansett-MAL is Mandated Airlines - this was an independent operator in PNG for quite a long time until it was taken over by Ansett in 1961. It operated quite a mix of aircraft including the DC-3, Bristol 170, Piaggio 166, Cessna 336 and Caribou, and there are a couple of these in Ansett-MAL colours at the Queensland Air Museum, but no Norseman unfortunately.

I've made a start on the Otter - a bit of basic assembly but nothing worth photographing yet. More soon.

cheers

Julian

• Like 15

Cracking on with the Otter first. Keeping this simple, straight from the box (unless there's something I think really needs improving) - I'd like to get something completed under my belt to get 2021's modelling under way. This kit seems like it fits the bill - nice little kit, not very detailed but fairly crisply moulded, should go together well. It's a bit of a shame Hobbycraft isn't around any more, it would be nice if this kit was still in production.

Here's my progress so far:

Hobbycraft Otter

more soon

Julian

• Like 8

The Otter has gone together very quickly - once I got going I had a more or less finished airframe in no time! Norseman is lagging a bit behind but the fuselage is together. The Otter is a really nice, simple kit, which fits together very well and needs very little filler. The Norseman's nice enough but very much a Matchbox kit!

Apologies for the very poor quality photo!

Otter and Norseman

• Like 10

Got some decals on the Otter today. FIrst time I've used Hawkeye decals, quite like them.

Otter WIP

Also got some primer on the Norseman so that should get its first coat of paint later.

cheers

Julian

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

That’s looking great.  Unusual though having the reverse of the flag on the tail rather than the more conventional obverse.

AW

D’oh! I’ve only gone and put the flags on the wrong sides of the fin!

I think I might be stuck with it now.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, zebra said:

No, can't leave it like that. Can't unsee it. Going to have to source a couple of new flags.

Sorry Zebra.  I’d hate to be one of those nit pickers who post on people’s threads with “you realise you have the wrong radio mast, the Mk VI had the 3’ 2” mast not the 3’ 1&3/4” mast” type comments, but it just looked odd to me.

Having caused you grief, I owe to you to help out if I can, I will have a look through my decal stash, I may have a couple of spare flags.  What size are these ones?

AW

On 2/14/2021 at 9:39 AM, Andwil said:

Sorry Zebra.  I’d hate to be one of those nit pickers who post on people’s threads with “you realise you have the wrong radio mast, the Mk VI had the 3’ 2” mast not the 3’ 1&3/4” mast” type comments, but it just looked odd to me.

Having caused you grief, I owe to you to help out if I can, I will have a look through my decal stash, I may have a couple of spare flags.  What size are these ones?

AW

Thanks AW but you didn’t cause me grief, it was my daft mistake, and if you hadn’t spotted it someone else would have!

Many thanks for the very kind offer but I’ve already printed a couple of flags onto some plain white decal paper - once the ink has had plenty of time to dry I’ll get them onto the model.

Meanwhile the Norseman has had a coat of aluminium - not photographed it yet - and will get some white and red on the tail soon.

cheers

Julian

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Surprised this one was only as far back as page 3, I've been neglecting it for a while. Finally got my finger out and got the Norseman finished.

1/72 Norseman

A couple more pics will be in the gallery shortly. Otter isn't far behind, I just need to clear coat the replacement flag decals and then leave them to cure for a bit, so it'll be a few days at least before I can finish it.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 11