KINETIC F-104G Starfighter, 25th Anniversary of JaboG 34, 1:48

Hi John

When i was 9 years old in 1974, i have been at Ahlhorn air base, near Oldenburg at a open day, i saw the first Starfighters in my life and i was very impressed and fascinated, the fascination continues to this day.

I have had couple Hasegawa ones too, but all sold already, coz Kinetic hit them totally, i gonna buy more of them. The developement of Kinetic is breathtaking, Alpha Jet still really bad moulded, but the F-104 is a fantastic kit, well good for us right?

Tahnk you John, stay safe too.

ok mates

this afternoon i used the time for modelling, coz outside the first snow is falling in this winter.

dscf5763d7jer.jpg

the tiptanks got a white primer and also a preshading of Burnt Umber of Vallejo. ( By the way, even my 104 gets an anniversary scheme, she become a  look  bit used, i dont like models what looks brand new ).

dscf5764btj7n.jpg

the main landing gear gets a coat of Alclad II white aluminium

dscf5765t6jjk.jpg

the same with the front landing gear

dscf5766pxkiq.jpg

the air intakes got a preshading of Burnt Umber too.

• Like 6

I was involved with the International Air Tattoo at Greenham Common and Fairford for about 10 years from 1978 and we had many Starfighters at the displays including the Bundesmarine Vikings and a Canadian team called The Tiger Romeos, they were always good to watch.

John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

the air intakes got another primer in white, and later in pink,  a car painter told me, when they paint a car in red, they make a pink primer first, so the red colour is stronger later, well i will try it out.

Hi Werner, I always use a pink undercoat when painting red to get a better depth of colour, for yellow the best undercoat is orange.

My Dutch Starfighter arrived today, looks very nice in the box, I was surprised that the Dutch retained the original ejection seats, the C2 rather than change them to Martin-Baker Mk.7s like the GAF did.  There is only one problem, the Xtradecal has lots more very nice options, I might need some more Starfighters. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi Bob

Yes i want try it out with pink primer, am excited. Some areas of the tip tanks i will try orange primer.

Hehehe it seems you have to buy ( and to build )more 104s. I have two Kinetic 104 now.....but they will not be the last. 

Until then......

• Like 1

hi comrads

this morning i was busy with her, of course with the 104, what else hehehehe.

dscf5767j3k3b.jpg

the air intakes are ready for assembly now, ejection marks are not to see later.

dscf57688vktu.jpg

Tiptanks get a preshade of orange, just a bit to test it, but its worked well, thank you Bob for the hint.

dscf57698fjb0.jpg

dscf5770hdktc.jpg

the seat gets more detail painting, but not finished yet

• Like 4

I'm liking the progress on your build, the seat looks very good. A tip re the face blind pull handles. I have used some embroidery silk, black and yellow. The thread is flat, tease it out one strand of each. Then wrap them round the handles and secure with CA. You will get uniform width stripes. No painting required.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

An F-104 build, how can I miss this! Great progress so far Werner.

On 1/29/2021 at 5:40 PM, Biggles87 said:

I was involved with the International Air Tattoo at Greenham Common and Fairford for about 10 years from 1978 and we had many Starfighters at the displays including the Bundesmarine Vikings

I recall seeing the Vikings at Fairford many years ago. What a stunning duo they were. Especially liked the all wheels and fflaps down slow approach (for an F-104) left to right pass along the runway, barely a hundred or so feet high, and when everyone was wondering where the second F-104 had got to, he came hammering in again from left to right, clean config extremely low and very fast, and flew right under the first one! Absolutely amazing flying.

Terry

• Like 4

Hi Terry

im really jealous about you, because you have see them live, how i wished to see them too, 1985-93 i had been in german army, so normally i got all informations about the ,,Open Days,, ( Tag der offenen Tür ) of army, air force and navy, but never used the chance to go there, well anyway i saw some videos at youtube about the Vikings and the leader of the Vikings  Kapitänleutnant Axel Ostermann, made also a book about the 104 and the Vikings, he said the enthusiasm for the Vikings was abroad much higher than in Germany. 

Edited by Harry Callahan
  • Like 2

Hi friends

so, again a small update.

-The tiptanks got a paint job with two different yellow tones, as Tamiya XF-3 and for some areas Vallejo RAL 1006, to show they get a repaint at maintenence time, new paint is always darker than old sun bleeched ones. After that i add a pin wash with oil paints, Sienna nature mixed with Burnt Umber.

-The main wheel well fit absolute perfectly

dscf5771akjn6.jpg

dscf5772pbj5q.jpg

dscf5774nnjhg.jpg

dscf5778wzknl.jpg

dscf5779fkjyi.jpg

• Like 5

On 29/01/2021 at 12:25, Biggles87 said:

.Hi Werner, I’ve always liked the ‘104 so I’ll join in if I may.

I don’t have a Kinetic F104 ( yet ) but I have a couple of Hasegawa ones from about 20 years ago and a decal sheet for the Greek Mount Olympus scheme.

The cockpit and seat are looking good, and the main undercarriage legs look very convincing.

Looking forward to more’ stay safe.

John

PS Good to hear that it fits, not designed by the same team as their Alpha Jet then.  :wink:

Built the kinetic starfighter and that was a great kit. Was thinking about doing their alpha jet but from the sounds of it the fit is not great?? Recently finished their mirage 2000 - overall looks very good but some of the compents fit on the underside were that bad it very nearly went in the bin several times!

• Thanks 1

Hi comrads

today a little progress

the detail paint job at the cockpit, i call it done, if youre not happy with,  pls dont forget i posting here macro shots, in reality the cockpit looks much better ( for my taste )

the sidewalls get a bit detail painting too, even later its almost nothing to see anymore

dscf578247kd7.jpg

dscf57841iknb.jpg

dscf5788uikci.jpg

dscf5789gojes.jpg

dscf5790wikgl.jpg

until next time

• Like 6

Hi mates

A little update again

- The fit of the parts is amazing, the parts for the lower fuselage fits like a snap kit, really great

dscf5791rqk4h.jpg

dscf5792bmjoj.jpg

dscf5794nekxk.jpg

slowly it become a Starfighter look

dscf5795luk6u.jpg

dscf5796tukpy.jpg

dscf57978hjyc.jpg

dscf57987akzo.jpg

dscf5799i5kch.jpg

sometimes i can't believe that is a Kinetic kit, but a Tamiya one

• Like 8

Hi friends

Again a small update, before it goes into the paint cabin.

I forgot to show the cockpit and hereby catch up with it

dscf5801mwk75.jpg

I punched out the individual instruments from what were left over

dscf5803zpk76.jpg

im happy with the cockpit, but the next 104 will get a one from LÖÖK

• Like 7

Hello gentlemen

a small update by my side.

- The lower fuselage got a white primer, what i mean is, the areas where the fuselage get a yellow and red paint later.

- I made a preshade for the yellow area, some panels got a bit darker shade to make it litle bit more interesting, not so monotone.

dscf5804w6k2f.jpg

dscf5805e0jw5.jpg

dscf5806eok8f.jpg

• Like 7

On 1/30/2021 at 8:24 PM, Harry Callahan said:

Hi Colin

Thats a great idea and advice to use embroidery silk mate. Thank you

you meant something like this right?

stickseidew6kzy.jpg

Yes, that's it.

• Thanks 1

On 05/02/2021 at 09:58, Harry Callahan said:

Hi friends

Again a small update, before it goes into the paint cabin.

I forgot to show the cockpit and hereby catch up with it

dscf5801mwk75.jpg

I punched out the individual instruments from what were left over

dscf5803zpk76.jpg

im happy with the cockpit, but the next 104 will get a one from LÖÖK

Very well done IP.

In fact I am not sure IF the Löök or Quinta productions are "properly at scale 1/48" or are

just  "made do fit in the kit cockpit".

I prefer Instrument Panels properly at scale 1/48;

Nice work

Mario 

• Thanks 1

Hi friends

a small update again, what i did yesterday.

-Well, the result of preshade is ok, but i am not really happy with, coz some shades got covered complete of the yellow paint.

-So , i have to do a postshade now, to make it more interesting and not so unique.

dscf580873jrl.jpg

dscf5809tfkgr.jpg

dscf5810g6jbo.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, SouthViper said:

Very well done IP.

In fact I am not sure IF the Löök or Quinta productions are "properly at scale 1/48" or are

just  "made do fit in the kit cockpit".

I prefer Instrument Panels properly at scale 1/48;

Nice work

Mario 

well, as what i can see, it looks very fine, by LÖÖK

lkf-104f2j90.jpg

• Like 2