KINETIC F-104G Starfighter, 25th Anniversary of JaboG 34, 1:48

Hi friends

For my second build report here at britmodeller, I'll be using the new F-104G by Kinetic in 1:48. I heard so many good things about this kit, so i wanna make my own experience with.

But instead of a camouflage painting, it will be a special painting for the 25th anniversary of JaboG 34 and 50th Anniversary of Memmingen air base, ( Cutting Edge call it Memmingham, maybe they think thats anywhere in Great Britain hehehehe )because i just received the decals of Cutting Edge from ebay seller, the decals are 20 years old, hope they will still working.

I will build this kit out of the box.

Here we go

dscf5713ivk8v.jpg

dscf571433kh5.jpg

dscf57156wkv5.jpg

dscf57166fk9u.jpg

dscf57170ukc6.jpg

f-104jabog342bvjpg.jpg

dscf57185fj1e.jpg

dscf57192ij42.jpg

dscf5720z8kof.jpg

• Like 15

39 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

But instead of a camouflage painting, it will be a special painting for the 25th anniversary of JaboG 34 and 50th Anniversary of Memmingen air base, ( Cutting Edge call it Memmingham, maybe they think thats anywhere in Great Britain hehehehe )

Hi Werner, perhaps it's the GAF Airbase near Birmingham, UK.  That's an interesting scheme, lots of masking, good luck. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Hehehehe yes maybe, i wonder they didnt call it Memmnigshire or Memmingborough.😃

Whenever I research strange English place names it usually leads back to the when the Vikings invaded and settled here, so we should blame them! 🤣

I have several Monogram and Hasegawa F-104s in the stash, but I'm still tempted to get a Kinetic kit, help convince me. :hmmm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So, the vikings have the fault🤣

I have sold all my Hasegawa 104s, just to earn money to buy two Kinetic ones.

I have built several kinetic kits,i was not so happy with, but this 104 kit is really great.

• Like 2

so, here was bad weather all day, windy, rainy and cold. What can we do at those weather? Right...........modelling.

now I'll show you what I've been doing all afternoon.

by the way, the fit is superb....is that really Kinetic?

dscf5722rljfr.jpg

front wheel well

dscf5723tlk6f.jpg

front part of lower fuselage

dscf5726pzkti.jpg

really nicely mould nozzle

dscf57276ujo8.jpg

front lower part and wheel well fit perfect

dscf5729lmkyj.jpg

main gear wheel well

dscf5730lpju6.jpg

dscf5732f3j4n.jpg

dscf5734qsk0b.jpg

nice idea by Kinetic with the flaps, if you want show flaps down, you need just to cut the outer pins

dscf5739tqkrj.jpg

dscf5736hvkjg.jpg

dscf57376xk91.jpg

dscf5738kpkmj.jpg

just tested the fit, perfect here too

so, hope you had a little fun watching

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Harry Callahan said:

just tested the fit, perfect here too

You have convinced me Werner, I'm buying a Kinetic F-104.  I have seen lots of resin from Aires and CMK for this kit but it does not seem to need them looking at your photos?

1 hour ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Good start Werner, I’m in! 😉 I have the Hasegawa’s USAF Starfighter in my stash, so I watch your progress with some interest.

All those really deep rivet holes. :fraidnot: worse than the Meng F-102.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Werner,

nice start on your Starfighter. The new generation of Kinetic kits is much better in terms of fit and detail, so building should be a breeze. I had the kit in hand at my LHS and had a hard time putting it back on the shelf :lol:

And great choice of markings. I'm normally not a big fan of anniversary paintjobs (Norm 83 would be my choice) but your chosen livery looks great.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Markus

Yes Kinetic made a big step forward,  good for us modellers.

Some years back i had the same opinion about anniversary paint jobs like you, but i dont know why i change my mind, can't explain it.

Now i like them........

• Like 2

Looking forwards to seeing progress on this one.

I found it to be a top-notch kit too, and mine only stalled for want of the correct silbergrau (standard L/W colours).

Had the pleasure of seeing a G gate guardian at the Manching factory a few years ago - wish I'd paid more attention to the colours while I had the chance!

The display schemes are very tempting... The obvious answer is to build another!

Edited by B_Bogus
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for being here Bogus.

You can mixing grey with silber, ratio maybe 70:30, the paint at the original  got weathering very quick, so you dont need to pay much attention to the absolute right colour.

I had been in Manching too in 2002 i think, a open day for their anniversary, unforgetable.

I have two Kinetic 104s now, but it will become more ..... surely.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

I have two Kinetic 104s now, but it will become more ..... surely.

I have ordered my F-104 and some decals, I intend to make a Dutch aircraft of 322 Sqn, In 1978 I was on a Sqn exchange to Leeuwarden with the Phantoms of 19(F) Sqn. good times. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Congratulation to your new 104, hope we can see a build report from you.😉

Don't hold your breath, Werner.  I have several big cats to finish first, just the usual King Tiger, Tiger and Panthers. :winkgrin:

The decals arrive today, the kit...perhaps by the weekend.

• Like 1

hi dear britmodellers

A small update.

The tiptanks and the nose cone are done, the fit was great again, but i sealed the seam lines with Mr. Surfacer 500

And i primer some parts with Mr.Surfacer 1200 ( cockpit ), and 1500 black,  front wheel well,nozzle, air intakes, main wheel well, and ejection seat.

dscf574286k64.jpg

dscf5743qejmj.jpg

dscf5744h8kpw.jpg

dscf5745sdkcc.jpg

dscf57466dkpc.jpg

• Like 10

Hi friends

Today i have a day off, coz of the lockdown..........so i use the freetime for modelling.

the main wheel well got a paintjob in Alclad II white aluminium, after dry i add a wash made of black pigments, a drop of soap ( for dish wash ) and water.

dscf574917jvg.jpg

dscf5752wckyu.jpg

the air intakes got another primer in white, and later in pink,  a car painter told me, when they paint a car in red, they make a pink primer first, so the red colour is stronger later, well i will try it out.

dscf5756lbkky.jpg

the main landing gear legs were built together and still got brake lines

dscf5757wkkqg.jpg

the front wheel well got a paint job in white alumuminium too, also i install the lock.

dscf5759ivjyo.jpg

a bit detail painting on the cockpit panel, but its not done yet

dscf57610djvz.jpg

also the cockpit tube got a detail paintm later more

dscf5760zsjb7.jpg

to avoid a tail sitter, i fill up the nose cone with lead balls and white glue

ok until then

• Like 8

.Hi Werner, I’ve always liked the ‘104 so I’ll join in if I may.

I don’t have a Kinetic F104 ( yet ) but I have a couple of Hasegawa ones from about 20 years ago and a decal sheet for the Greek Mount Olympus scheme.

The cockpit and seat are looking good, and the main undercarriage legs look very convincing.

Looking forward to more’ stay safe.

John

PS Good to hear that it fits, not designed by the same team as their Alpha Jet then.  :wink:

• Thanks 1