Tribute to a Departed Modeller

I was so touched by this post.   As a long-time scale modeler and one with a large unbuilt stash, and also as one of advancing age, it really struck home with me.   Thank you for posting this; a lovely model but an even better tribute!  :worthy: Excuse me now, I seem to have gotten a bit 'o dust in my eye...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

I was so touched by this post.   As a long-time scale modeler and one with a large unbuilt stash, and also as one of advancing age, it really struck home with me.   Thank you for posting this; a lovely model but an even better tribute!  :worthy: Excuse me now, I seem to have gotten a bit 'o dust in my eye...

Thanks very much Gary

Yes it is a bit thought provoking, Donald must have spent a fortune over the years on books and kits, with only a fraction of them actually being built.

None of his kids shared either his hobby or interests so it was just as well fellow modellers stepped in to ensure his family got some of this money back, sadly many people seek to take advantage of this situation for their own ends.

My rescued kits of Donald's are quite an eclectic bunch so look out for other ones turning up as and when I can find an excuse to include them on any Group Builds here on Britmodeller. 

Take care, 

Pat

• Like 1

My favorite builds are those that tell a story and pay tribute to someone who might otherwise be totally forgotten. Your build is very well done and the tribute well stated. You should be very pleased.

Hi Jockney,

what you have done is very nice and at the same time very sad ...
On the one hand, fate has let you know of this loss, and you have been able to rescue the work or part, and the stash or part of the deceased fellow, Bravo!
On the other hand, it is a real shame that no family member has wanted to preserve this legacy, which although it is not shared, should have sentimental value for a loved one ...
At least, in life, he was happy doing something that he liked, which is already very good.
For my part, I think the same will happen, when the time comes (I hope it's late and I have time to finish the stash ... lol), because unfortunately, my heirs do not share the hobby either, nothing personal, of course, but at least I hope they keep some model for sentimental value.
I had already thought about this sometimes, and I thought about leaving the hobby, based on this, but a dear family member told me this, enjoy it no matter what happens next, who knows ...
My regards and greetings.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

A great tribute and touching story. I love those Med Theatre schemes.

I have to say that stories like these are what got me to stop stashing a long time ago. Not to mention that looking at a stash got to be demotivating at times when life kept throwing other things in the way every time I'd get a bit of spare time to to a bit of work on a kit.

I did a big stash clear about 20 years ago, when I still lived in Canada, and I've never had a stash since.

Edited by upnorth

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nicely done Pat, a lovely tribute to Donald indeed & I'm sure he'd have loved what you've done with it, it looks brilliant. :)

Steve.

Thanks very much Steve, that means a lot to me.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

On 24/01/2021 at 11:30, Homer said:

A fine tribute to a fellow modeler, iam in advanced years and this story has made me think aswell .

A beautiful model.

On 24/01/2021 at 19:00, FrancisGL said:

Hi Jockney,

what you have done is very nice and at the same time very sad ...
On the one hand, fate has let you know of this loss, and you have been able to rescue the work or part, and the stash or part of the deceased fellow, Bravo!
On the other hand, it is a real shame that no family member has wanted to preserve this legacy, which although it is not shared, should have sentimental value for a loved one ...
At least, in life, he was happy doing something that he liked, which is already very good.
For my part, I think the same will happen, when the time comes (I hope it's late and I have time to finish the stash ... lol), because unfortunately, my heirs do not share the hobby either, nothing personal, of course, but at least I hope they keep some model for sentimental value.
I had already thought about this sometimes, and I thought about leaving the hobby, based on this, but a dear family member told me this, enjoy it no matter what happens next, who knows ...
My regards and greetings.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Hi Homer and Francis

Thank you for your kind words.

As a few people on this thread have commented it has made them think about their own situation regarding age, stash size and what happens when .....

It was never my intention to cause anyone any distress in that regard, and if I have done so, I cannot apologise enough !

When this happened to Donald, I could see a lot of similarities to my own situation, I have by my own admission far too many kits to realistically build in a lifetime and none of my kids have taken up the hobby despite my very best endeavours.

So this leaves a choice, radically reduce the stash to the ones I really want to build, but then regret as some of them either have sentimental value and or took ages to get or, leave instructions as to what should happen to the kits and a realistic expectation of value / outlets to sell them etc, or as I am doing, just continue to enjoy our hobby, the pleasure it brings and not worry about it !

For the record, all Donald's books that the "dealers" didn't want and were destined for recycling I now have, Mrs Jockney is significantly unimpressed at my needing 4 extra bookshelves in the spare bedroom but I am over the moon with the books I now have for reference purposes or holiday reading ( if we ever get to leave the house again ! ).

Finally once again please accept my sincere apologies for any distress caused it was never my intention and I hope that as I complete the rest of Donald's unfinished kits and share them on here it will help me deal with the fact that I am finishing builds that meant a great deal to him.

Kindest regards Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2