Humbrol Light Gull Grey

TonyOD

I'm building a Heller Crusader and could do with some guidance in the colour. I brush paint using Humbrol enamels, mainly because they stock them in my local Boyes.

The instructions call out gris perle, which is Humbrol 64. It's a nice enough light grey but I'm not a huge fan because it's one of those that takes ages to dry.

Humbrol 140 called gull grey and I painted the upper wing surface with it and to my eye it looks much too dark, I guess because it's not light gull grey. So I've stripped it off.

Anyone help me in the right direction, or do I have to endure 64 and its stickiness?

Ta

5 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Thanks, only mentions of "gull" in the Humbrol list are 129 and 140 which I think are satin and matt versions of the same shade. Boyes also do Vellejo acrylics, maybe I'll give this a shot:

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/model-air-en/light-gull-gray-71121/

(I'm presuming it can be brush painted too)

You're right, they are! As it happens I have them both in my box o' paints. 129 is substantially lighter, and I think that's my boy. They're not marketed as "light" or "dark" though, just "US gull grey" (129) and "gull grey" (140), hence my confusion. Cheers.

spacer.png

8 hours ago, TonyOD said:

You're right, they are! As it happens I have them both in my box o' paints. 129 is substantially lighter, and I think that's my boy. They're not marketed as "light" or "dark" though, just "US gull grey" (129) and "gull grey" (140), hence my confusion. Cheers.

spacer.png

The darker one looks like an attempt at dark gull gray. The lighter one could use some white IMHP.

4 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

The lighter one could use some white IMHP.

I’ve put the first coat on and it’s quite a bit lighter than in the pic.

16 hours ago, TonyOD said:

[VMA]

(I'm presuming it can be brush painted too)

Yes, with care, thinned & with a bag of tricks like @PlaStix uses.

But having said that, and considering your preference and experience with enamels, you might consider ColourCoats as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

considering your preference and experience with enamels, you might consider ColourCoats as well. 

Ha, experience... you almost make it sound like I know what I'm doing! Stir with bit of sprue, gloop out onto palette, thin with an inexact quantity of white spirit from the massive bottle, slap it on and hope for the best, that's me.

I rally should broaden my horizons with paint, if only to speed things up a bit, my builds are so slow partly because I'm forever waiting for paint to dry. My local Boyes also stock Vallejo acrylics (weirdly they're very big on Warhammer, but don't stock any aeroplane kits). Maybe I'll have a look at them, at least to start off by using them for things like cockpits.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Haha 1