ZK- Percival Proctor III 1/48

A busy GB by the look of it and the Australian and New Zealand GB presenting a fine opportunity to build something from the stash. Last year I seemed to build mostly 1/72 so time for a change and build something in the bigger 1/48 scale and the DoraWings Proctor fitting the bill. The Percival Proctor was a pretty successful export to both Australia and New Zealand and he dceal options that come with the kit include an NZ version, ZK-AKW from 1951 and the New Plymouth Aero Club. Any way here are todays pics before starting:

Box art and intended colour scheme

20210123_105745_resized.jpg

Sprues - moulded in soft and soft looking grey plastic

20210123_110036_resized.jpg

20210123_110041_resized.jpg

Comes with metal etch and some handy masks for the glazing - bonus!

20210123_110216_resized.jpg

So thats me ready to start, but as I like doing, I am building another at the same time - a Percival Vega - same kit really with minor changes. I find you can build 2 at much the same rate as one..... so I will have 2 brightly coloured  30's machines at the end of the build - although the Vega wont qualify, as its Kenyan registered, as piloted by Beryl Markham for her solo flight westbound accross the Atlantic. For info here is a pic of it

20210123_110502_resized.jpg

Looking forward this getting cracking and also seeing what everyone else is building within this wide scope GB.

JP

• Like 9

On 1/24/2021 at 12:35 PM, zebra said:

Nice choice JP. I was given the Proctor for Christmas so will be following along.

No pressure then! Will do my best and wondering what the interior colours would be - thinking similar to the wine/red colour. Not had a chance to start yet, but will cut sprue tomorrow 

Edited by Jpthedog

Now then JP,

There is doubt about the red colour scheme shown for ZK-ATW. It is more likely to have been turquoise blue [as shown on the Vega Gull box art] over silver. When Phil Lightband and Peter Hobart purchased the aircraft from Shackleton's in early December 1949 they noted in their diary that it was silver and blue. Money was tight so they decided to forgo dual controls, radio, long range fuel tank and sundry other useful items.  It is therefore unlikely to have been repainted save for altering the registration from G-AJTS o ZK-ATW .

They left Elstree, England on the 22nd of December 1949 and arrived in Sydney on the 15th of February 1950. ZK-ATW was shipped across the Tasman Sea by Phil's father and arrived at Bell Block [New Plymouth Aerodrome] some time in late March 1950. It was lost of the eighteen months later when the New Plymouth Aeroclub's hanger in which it was kept burnt down.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 3:36 PM, kiwichappers said:

Now then JP,

There is doubt about the red colour scheme shown for ZK-ATW. It is more likely to have been turquoise blue [as shown on the Vega Gull box art] over silver. When Phil Lightband and Peter Hobart purchased the aircraft from Shackleton's in early December 1949 they noted in their diary that it was silver and blue. Money was tight so they decided to forgo dual controls, radio, long range fuel tank and sundry other useful items.  It is therefore unlikely to have been repainted save for altering the registration from G-AJTS o ZK-ATW .

They left Elstree, England on the 22nd of December 1949 and arrived in Sydney on the 15th of February 1950. ZK-ATW was shipped across the Tasman Sea by Phil's father and arrived at Bell Block [New Plymouth Aerodrome] some time in late March 1950. It was lost of the eighteen months later when the New Plymouth Aeroclub's hanger in which it was kept burnt down.

Kiwichappers - thanks - all noted and I had read that previously. They sounded like a couple of chancers looking to make a quick profit, but it seems their costs spiralled. Having said that I would agree that it was unlikely that they repainted (think of the cost!) but I am happy with the proposed colour and have the paint purchased and ready, so it will remain wine? and silver and will compliment the light turquoise VP-KCC. Now why didnt they have digital cameras back then?????

Progress has been a bit slow on the Proctor, with some main parts cut from the sprue and wing components glued together carefully, to minimise sanding.

I must say the kit is soft plastic (fine) but so is the detail. Should that ridge be there or not?? My second Dora Wings kit, having made the Dewoitine D510 before and the same old issues - a bit of clean up on the parts plus instructions that are wrong, mis-numbered and even parts not mentioned. Hey ho not massive complaint, its just slowing me down a bit.

Not much to show for a weeks work...

20210131_104109_resized.jpg

Not even started the Vega Gull which was supposed to be a parallel build, but I will and it will catch up.

Cheers

JP

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

The first kit I build after returning to the hobby after half a lifetime was the old Frog / Novo one.

It's an aircraft that has bags of character, so I really look forward to seeing one in 1/48, best of luck.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

The first kit I build after returning to the hobby after half a lifetime was the old Frog / Novo one.

It's an aircraft that has bags of character, so I really look forward to seeing one in 1/48, best of luck.

Cheers Pat 

Pat

Agreed a fine general aviation aircraft from the 30's onwards - I have a couple of the Frog kits, which I imagine will be a lot quicker to build than the Dora Wings versions - which are slow due to various reasons. Will hopefully post up some progress shots this weekend.

JP

• Like 1

Progress update. Its been slower than I would like but both Vega and Proctor (ZK-) progressing. The kit is annoying as there are many mistakes, in usually the instructions, which slow things down whilst i figure out what is right/wrong. Shame as the kits could be so much better with those corrections and colour call outs.

First of all the Vega Gull VP-KCC

I scratched a fuel tank for the Atlantic crossing in the place of the rear seat - no info but took a guess

20210214_175714_resized.jpg

20210216_213716_resized.jpg

20210221_171128_resized.jpg

20210224_201339_resized.jpg

Now the qualifying GB Proctor. The wine colour is a bit shiny, but we can matt that down and it is a good colour match for the decals. Etch seat belts seem to be the same size as 1/72...

20210221_171217_resized.jpg

Fuselage built with 2 sides and the base so I elected to do one side attached to the base, then the other fuselage half. Worked the first time.

20210224_201201_resized.jpg

20210224_201206_resized.jpg

Thats it for now.

JP

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff JP

I really hope you can still see those lovely interiors when the fuselage is closed up. What are the clear parts like ?

Cheers Pat 

Pat I've been a bit latchy with posting pics - both kits taking longer than they should due to poor instructions....

Any way the Vega Gull glazing is on and painted and you can see a reasonable degree - at least you can see the fuel tank! Should get the Proctor glazed and primed this weekend and post a long overdue update. Thanks for asking, JP

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Progress and racing to completion on both Proctor and Vega Gull. Apologies I should have posted before now but here we are up to date.

Proctor all together now with canopy/cockpit being put together. Unneccesarily comes in 6 pieces and with the Proctor, a part that is not correct as far as I can tell. As you can see I glued each side to the main fuselage and then the front main cockpit window. I found the 2 rear sections too tall for the fuselage, so the usual fettling. Not 100%, but its acceptable for my standards.

20210317_082439_resized.jpg

20210320_163458_resized.jpg

Here you can see the white plastic insert that is not present as part of the kit.

20210321_130228_resized.jpg

White primer on top of red to allow the frame colour to be seen from inside....

Also sand and fill and sand again to remove seams....

The kit comes with vinyl masks for the glazing but this does not sit on curved windows so I masked with foil tape and cut with sharp scalpel.

20210331_135517_resized.jpg

And here we are as of 30 minutes ago. Silver which is AK Metal Extreme aluminium which looks OK for for silver on fabric. And using the new airbrush today the Mr Hobby acrylic wine colour. No decals for any of this - so some involved masking. Canopy better on the Vega Gull!

20210404_154245_resized.jpg

20210404_154306_resized.jpg

Let the paint cure until tomorrow then its suddenly decal time!

JP

• Like 4

Calling the Proctor and Vega Gull finished. Some quick pics before posting in the gallery. Decals are thin and care is needed when applying but they lay down well,

20210407_092016_resized.jpg

Not a bad match - paint and decals.

20210407_092008_resized.jpg

Complete and with sister build

20210411_172447_resized.jpg

Happy with the completed builds and liking the old colours of these civil birds. Dora Wings would really do themselves a favour by proof reading the instructions - otherwise an enjoyable build.

JP

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2021 at 10:27 AM, Paul J said:

Great attractive models.  What did you use for the Vega bluey green/ turqouisey colour???? I have these in 1/72 to do.

Paul apologies for dreadfully late reply! Thanks for your comments. Paint used was Vallejo Game Effects Verdigris 72.135 - no idea how I arrived at that but it is a lovely paint to spray on and is a close match to the decals.

JP

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Congratulations, a beautiful pair. And a sobering cautionary tale!  I’ve mine on order now, and while waiting I have been reading through the instructions online … many questions arising, which match the issues you raise here!  I will bookmark for future reference. Thanks!