Mirror Models still going?

mick b

Sorry if this is old hat but being primarily an aircraft modeller, I only dabble occasionally in armour, I wondered if Mirror Models are still around, I was keen on their proposed release of an LRDG CMP back in 2017 so assume they are defunct as nothing new for a while?

Mike

Thunder Models have also announced the very same vehicle, not yet available,  Also on the Hannants site.  I suspect a Thunder version might be nicer than the Mirror version: Mirror seem to have a mixed reputation.  But the Mirror offering comes with the mounted Bofors 37mm AT gun whereas the Thunder version does not.

CMPs only lasted a year with LRDG.  The 4WD was though to be an advantage over the earlier 2WD Chevrolet WB but with the extra weight they actually bogged-in more often and the fuel consumption increased, reducing operational range and needing more fuel to be carried - increasing the weight even more.  The "classic" 2WD Chevrolet 1533X2s replaced them. 

Now we need a plastic kit of the Chevy WB.  Wespe make one in resin but in photos it looks rather simplified.  The Ford and Chevy 15cwt Pilot Cars would be nice too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Don149 said:

Yes Mick , if you go onto Hannants website and select the manufacturers page , you will find them.

Yes thanks, my point being that they haven’t produced much recently and have nothing under future releases on Hannants.

15 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Thunder Models have also announced the very same vehicle, not yet available,  Also on the Hannants site.  I suspect a Thunder version might be nicer than the Mirror version: Mirror seem to have a mixed reputation.  But the Mirror offering comes with the mounted Bofors 37mm AT gun whereas the Thunder version does not.

CMPs only lasted a year with LRDG.  The 4WD was though to be an advantage over the earlier 2WD Chevrolet WB but with the extra weight they actually bogged-in more often and the fuel consumption increased, reducing operational range and needing more fuel to be carried - increasing the weight even more.  The "classic" 2WD Chevrolet 1533X2s replaced them. 

Now we need a plastic kit of the Chevy WB.  Wespe make one in resin but in photos it looks rather simplified.  The Ford and Chevy 15cwt Pilot Cars would be nice too.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated, I just like the look of the short lived CMPs but agree there is more to be covered and I would’ve thought they would be good sellers?

Cheers

Mike

IIRC there was only 1 Bofors truck per patrol, which limits the Mirror kit somewhat, but it can always be omitted and any residual mounting detail on the body floor hidden with kit.  Not a lot of other uses for the gun without its field carriage.  It was mounted, not carried portee.  I don't believe the CMPs ever mounted the 20mm Breda in LRDG.

In the CMP era the patrol commander rode in a 15cwt CMP rather than the previous Ford or later Chevy Pilot Cars.  So there's a conversion idea to go with the 30cwt of either brand.  The only option for a CMP No11 or 12 cab 15cwt is Mirror again.  The IBG kits all seem to be No13 cabs, as was the old (but still workable) Max/Peerless/Airfix/Italeri/Bilek kit.